PDA

View Full Version : Freaky ghost thing I learned tonight!

backslashbaby
02-02-2012, 12:49 PM
A childhood ghost happening came up in conversation with my dad tonight, and I couldn't believe he didn't remember it. I was very young, and I remember it so clearly because it was so scary. The rest of the family remembers it, in case y'all just think I'm looney.

The quickest version: My family was all in the car at night, and we had to screech to a halt for 3 hanged men in the middle of the road. They weren't there after the car stopped. Dad got out and looked around, though :D

I remember the date because it was the night before Halloween, and we know where it happened, so I Googled it for the first time ever.

In 1795, the guy who my creek is named for was hanged... on October 30th in a nearby city. His progeny was also related to my great uncle, who lived next door to where this happened. Aaaaack!!!

Tell me that's not freaky. Just try it :ROFL: And let me know if you know who the other two guys were :D

Cliff Face
02-02-2012, 12:57 PM
Can I volunteer 2 guys I used to know to be hanged?

(And yeah, that's kind of freaky. ;))

LadyVonFright
02-02-2012, 06:18 PM
that's really freaky but in a cool way...my friend and i try to go to as many haunted places as we can just cuz we want to see stuff like that :P

Ctairo
02-02-2012, 07:01 PM
Eeep! That's one creepy, freaky story.

Snowstorm
02-02-2012, 07:53 PM
Freaky, but I believe your every word. I'll bet if you let the local newspaper know, other folks will comment on that they've seen it too.

backslashbaby
02-02-2012, 09:43 PM
Can I volunteer 2 guys I used to know to be hanged?

(And yeah, that's kind of freaky. ;))

I can see if the ghosts will hook you up, maybe :D

Ooooh, snowstorm, I don't really want to know if other people have seen it, too. This one was really scary! No, those dudes can just go on their merry or unmerry way, and I'm not bringing it up to anybody.

Except in fiction :D I am writing a fictionalized story based on it, and it's odd that I have to make up the mundane plot stuff and truthfully tell the unreal part!

Tepelus
02-03-2012, 04:34 AM
Creepy and cool at the same time. I never get to see stuff like that, but it's probably best I don't.

I have a part in my novel where my MC's servant/eventual lover, hangs himself when he hears news of his lord/lover's being exiled, and his ghost is seen where he had hung himself in the stables by the stable hands.

Lady MacBeth
02-03-2012, 07:25 AM
That story kind of freaks me out.

Mclesh
02-03-2012, 07:32 AM
Um, I don't think I'd ever be able to sleep with that kind of memory hanging around.

Sounds like a good idea for a creepy short story.

backslashbaby
02-03-2012, 07:52 AM
Thank you, Mclesh! I remember it in that little-kid way, so it's very creepy for sure :)

Tepelus, those stories must be classic for a reason! I never expected to find a Google result, but I have to confess that I put more stock in the whole history thing myself now.

I was so little that not sleeping isn't a problem at all after all these years, but I'm glad it's not a common occurrence! Could you imagine? I have little nice, subtle ghosties usually: a light turns on here and there, maybe. This was way over the top ;) :D

GailD
02-03-2012, 01:24 PM
That's spooky.

In 1795, the guy who my creek is named for was hanged... on October 30th in a nearby city.

And btw, I give you an A+ for using the correct application for the past tense of the verb 'hang'. :)

So many (well known) writers still get this wrong. A picture is hung - even curtains can be hung - but a person (suspened by the neck until dead) is hanged.

Unless, of course, one is referring to something anatomical. :D

crunchyblanket
02-03-2012, 03:47 PM
That's both creepy and awesome.

When I was a babby, I'd often stay at my nan's house. I was about three or four, and I used to come into my nan's room at silly o'clock in the morning and ask her if she could tell the lady at the end of the bed to stop talking, because I was trying to sleep. So my nan, thinking I was dreaming, would come in and do her little charade, and I'd be happy.

Eventually, I started calling her Betsy (I don't remember any of this, by the way) and one night, my nan saw a woman going upstairs and into our room. When she came in, there was nobody there.

Over the course of that year, several people saw her, and so my nan did a little research. It turned out that around seventy years before, two men had owned the house. One of them had dressed and identified as a woman. I don't know what the circumstances were, but she hanged herself on stairs, just opposite the room we slept in.

Funny thing is, I still don't believe in an afterlife :D

Thump
02-03-2012, 04:14 PM
I don't believe in an afterlife either but I do believe that ghosts might be real. I just don't think they are the "souls" of dead people, maybe more like patterns of electricity/vibration/whatever hanging around. Just 'cause we can't figure it out doesn't mean there isn't some science we've yet to discover :D

As for my own ghost experience, I was about 13 years old and for the first time had my very own room rather than sharing with my two younger sisters (yay!). I was lying in bed one night, sort of drifting in and out when I saw, at the foot of the three steps leading down into my room, an adult-sized, yellow silhouette. You know when you stare at someone without blinking for a while then look at a plain surface and you see an "aura"? Well, it looked like that but more solid and shaped against the pitch black of the room.
I couldn't move or take my eyes of it, it was like being suspended in the moment. Then, as it took a few steps closer, I felt like I was being electrocuted, like I had electricity rising up my legs. Tetanised, I think is the word? Anyway, it then walked right across the bed, through my thighs and this unbelievable freezing cold spread through me from there. it was such a bad cold-burn feeling, I couldn't breathe! Then the moment it was done crossing the bed, the feeling abated. And then it crossed again in the opposite direction and faded away as it went into my bathroom. I was exhausted and crashed.

The next morning, I went and told my sister. As I finished telling her about the strange silhouette, I noticed she was pale. She told me she'd seen the same thing but standing at the foot of her bed, just "looking" at her before it left the room and turned to go into mine.

So yeah... I believe in ghosts. Now... if I could just meet Dean and Sam Winchester, it would have been worth it :)

Perks
02-03-2012, 05:19 PM
My oldest daughter asked us several times, when she could first form questions that actually made any sense (at about 2 1/2) who the woman was, with the very short hair, who would be in her room, in the chair, reading.

My wonderful mother-in-law died when Julia was four months old, and her hair hadn't grown all the way in from her chemotherapy treatments.

I just don't know...

(And very cool story, bsb!)

Snowstorm
02-03-2012, 06:47 PM
Dang, Thump! That gives me chills! And Perks, that's spooky too, but I hope it's more comforting if you think it's your mother-in-law.

crunchyblanket
02-03-2012, 06:53 PM
I don't believe in an afterlife either but I do believe that ghosts might be real. I just don't think they are the "souls" of dead people, maybe more like patterns of electricity/vibration/whatever hanging around. Just 'cause we can't figure it out doesn't mean there isn't some science we've yet to discover :D

Yup,I think it's some kind of 'echo', a remnant of the person left behind.

backslashbaby
02-03-2012, 09:42 PM
Those are so spooky and cool. I think I'd be too freaked out if I saw someone I knew. My best friend as a young teen saw her fullblood Cherokee grandmother the very night she died in bed in another room. She came to my friend's bed to nod goodbye. The grandmother hadn't been sick, but she was very old.

The girl went into her mother's room and told her that the grandmother was dead, and the mom knew it was true before they checked on her, too.

It was true.

I think my family members know it would freak me out too much!

I do believe in the afterlife, but I don't pretend to understand these things we call ghosts. I think the family members visiting are probably what they seem like, one way or another.

Past that, I just know that I think things exist. Whatever the heck is going on, the things are audible and visible on occasion somehow :) Too many folks would have to be crazy throughout history and today for there not to be anything to it at all, imho.

aadams73
02-03-2012, 09:51 PM
Cool story! :)

I definitely believe in ghosts--or something like them. I've seen way too many strange things over the years--things that were consequently confirmed by others (like the man in blue who used to hang out in our bathroom when I was a kid!)--to dismiss them as figments of my (sometimes overactive) imagination.

A couple of weeks ago, I decided we might have a ghost here.

- The door that leads to the hot water heater was open. Neither of us had been in there.

- A clock that had stopped started up again, and on the correct time.

- And, just a few days ago, I was sitting here working and a hand brushed my back. The boyfriend, dog, and cat were all downstairs.

Anyway, it was starting to freak me out, even though it didn't feel bad, so I asked--very nicely--if it would please stop and go away, or at least do what it's doing more discreetly.

And guess what? The damn clock stopped again! :D

writerterri
02-03-2012, 10:37 PM
I love ghosts stories. Love'm!

stormie
02-03-2012, 10:44 PM
Yep, nothing like a good ghost story. Good way to end the week! http://bestsmileys.com/ghost/1.gif

writerterri
02-03-2012, 10:59 PM
Oh, crap!!! Oh, crap!!! Oh, crap!!!

Before I came in the club I was sitting on the couch reading and watching tv. I heard something hit the wall in the other room behind me and then heard it echo through the hall. Both me and my cat looked at each other. I went into the room to see what it was and I could see nothing that fell or what have you. I decided to rebuke whatever it was and when through each room rebuking. I believe for the most part ghosts are demonic in nature. I just got up to go back to my couch and both the lights are on in the bathroom right now. I did not turn them on. And I'm the only one here.

Mommie!

quickWit
02-03-2012, 11:02 PM
sorry.

*turns bathroom lights off*
*returns to hiding behind shower curtain*

dork

stormie
02-03-2012, 11:03 PM
^ Cue Twilight Zone music ^

Don't worry, Terri (hey that rhymes!), it's only quickWit running through the thread.

writerterri
02-03-2012, 11:22 PM
*points and giggles*

Is it cold in there?

quickWit
02-03-2012, 11:28 PM
that's crazy talk.
*kisses biceps*
*flexes appendix*
KABLAMMO!

and you're out of conditioner.

writerterri
02-03-2012, 11:30 PM
that's crazy talk.
*kisses biceps*
*flexes appendix*
KABLAMMO!

and you're out of conditioner.

o.0

Susan Littlefield
02-04-2012, 01:04 AM
Very freaky, yet.....fun freaky. :D

I used to hear footsteps, doors opening and closing, in a house I lived in with a roommate. This roommate kept late hours due to work and social activities, so I was usually asleep long before she came home. One night, I made a mental note to wake myself when she came home so I could discuss something important. Well, I heard the back door open and close, heard the footsteps go toward her room, doors opening and closing. I got out of bed to knock on her door.

Her door was open, the light off, and not a soul home. I checked both the front and the back of the house and her car was nowhere to be seen. The next day, I learned she had come home long after the time I had heard her.

In that same house, I had three cats. I had to have one put to sleep. After Nick was put down, my roommate, who thought anything ghostly was stupid, came to me one day and said she'd experienced something strange: a strange feeling came over her and my cats both ran toward a spot in the living room, purring, and reacting as if Nick was back in the house.

I thought she was pulling my leg, since she knew I believe in ghost experiences. Turns out she was not, as a few days later I had the same experience.

KatieJ
02-04-2012, 05:04 AM
And let me know if you know who the other two guys were :D

For purposes of your story, they could either be the two guys who hanged him, or the two guys who REALLY DID whatever he was accused of.