PDA

View Full Version : What to read at bedtime to avoid nightmares

randywrite
02-02-2012, 12:36 PM
Ok, well I'm trying to develop a new bedtime routine and I'm looking for suggestions of books to read that are feel good, lighthearted and relaxing. It can be fiction or nonfiction - doesn't matter - as long as it will help me unwind and think happy thoughts before I drift off to sleep.

I've had some insanely terrifying nightmares as of late, and I want to make sure I'm feeding my brain good stuff before I crash. I even had a dream that Hannibal Lecter was eating my face off...lol..but it scared the crap out of me and woke me up. I'd like to not have these anymore.

So, there you have it. Won't you help me find some good stuff to read...stuff that will help me avoid having the nightmares from hell?:)

Any takers? Randy :)
(mods, I didn't know where to put this; move it if need be) thx.

Purple Rose
02-02-2012, 12:44 PM
Hi Randy! Long time no see! My personal preference is for anything that is funny and not too engaging so you can put it down as soon as you start feeling sleepy.

Maybe something by Ben Elton or Nick Hornby or travel writing by William Dalrymple or something by AA Gill.

I just finished re-reading Don't Stop The Carnival by Herman Wouk. No nightmares, much laughter.

Becky Black
02-02-2012, 03:23 PM
Romances of course! (She said, with some bias.)

Or comedy, yes. P.G. Wodehouse, Jerome K. Jerome, Douglas Adams, Saki, to name just a few of my favourites.

JeffC
02-02-2012, 06:44 PM
I don't always read lighthearted things, but when I do, I prefer Christopher Moore.

Of course, the fact that many of his books feature vampires, demons and zombies might be off-putting for you. They're hilarious vampires, demons and zombies, mind, but I suppose your mileage may vary.

Ctairo
02-02-2012, 06:53 PM
How about some David Sedaris? Lose yourself in some the twisty quirky.

PulpDogg
02-02-2012, 07:51 PM
I don't always read lighthearted things, but when I do, I prefer Christopher Moore.

Of course, the fact that many of his books feature vampires, demons and zombies might be off-putting for you. They're hilarious vampires, demons and zombies, mind, but I suppose your mileage may vary.

I don't know any of his vampire, demon or zombie books ... but I have read "Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal" which is absolutely hilarious ...

Architectus
02-02-2012, 08:19 PM
Romance comedy, like Shopaholic.

Lseeber
02-02-2012, 08:22 PM
How about some David Sedaris? Lose yourself in some the twisty quirky.

Oooo.... definitely second this choice. David Sedaris is such a fun read.

Another one of my favorite bedtime books is a non-fiction one called The Making of a Continent by Ron Redfern. Gorgeous pictures, informative and lyrical writing, and a subject matter (geographic and geological make up of North America) that would put most anyone to sleep :).

Laura

owlion
02-02-2012, 10:32 PM
MG books are good :) Try the Redwall series by Brian Jacques - some of the most relaxing books ever!

quicklime
02-02-2012, 10:37 PM
I hang out a bit at another board on growing edible and, umm, non-edible mushrooms, and that place has a "sex and relationships" subforum.....

You can read there; I laugh so hard I have to make sure my office door is closed.

I certainly wouldn't recommend reading it for practical advice, though.

Nawlins
02-02-2012, 10:37 PM
I do the same thing, as stress in my life generally pops out in terrifying nightmares. Personally, I go for old books, gentle reading... One of my favourites is Gladys Taber, who wrote essays that mixed her gentle philosophy with observations on her life and so on. I also like reading girls' fiction from the early 1900s (The Motor Girls, and such, lol) which is always fun. Books like those by Catherine Ponder are so relentlessly hopeful and positive have helped too. I also listen to classical music right before I turn out the light. Peaceful atmosphere and all that.

Hope your nightmares are soon a thing of the past!

Nephytis
02-02-2012, 10:48 PM
i actually watch tv before i fall asleep and it's something funny and cartoony. but if i read, it's whatever i'm reading at the time because i usually can't put it down and have to finish the story.

if you're having trouble with nightmares, then go with something happy and fun. Shel Silverstein's poems, Dr. Seuss books, Good Night Moon, or the Far Side comics.

at least this way you'll have happy dreams, if not whimsical ones.

randywrite
02-02-2012, 11:35 PM
I hang out a bit at another board on growing edible and, umm, non-edible mushrooms, and that place has a "sex and relationships" subforum.....

You can read there; I laugh so hard I have to make sure my office door is closed.

I certainly wouldn't recommend reading it for practical advice, though.

Frickin' LOL! Only quick..... :D Please pm me a link to this horny mushroom forum that you speak of ---> immediately! Or just post it here: your call.

And a huge thank you to everyone else as well. I'm very much looking forward to reading some of your suggestions! They all sound very relaxing and also intriguing. :)

(btw - any other suggestions are welcome :)

AW rox, Randy

Nephytis
02-02-2012, 11:59 PM
if you want something online that's hilarious you need to go to amazon.com in the search box type in uranium ore, and then find the product and click on it.

Read the Comments. They are so fricken hilarious, and they're short stories. :D

quicklime
02-03-2012, 12:26 AM
Frickin' LOL! Only quick..... :D Please pm me a link to this horny mushroom forum that you speak of ---> immediately! Or just post it here: your call.

And a huge thank you to everyone else as well. I'm very much looking forward to reading some of your suggestions! They all sound very relaxing and also intriguing. :)

(btw - any other suggestions are welcome :)

AW rox, Randy

apologies if this breaks a forum rule, but yeah, want to see the dumb leading the blind, or something like that: http://www.shroomery.org/forums/

The Kidd
02-03-2012, 12:32 AM
I use to read classic children's books when I couldn't sleep. The Wind In The Willows, Where The Red Fern Grows, A Wrinkle In Time, The Hobbit, The Secret Garden, etc. I also love reading adult classics, and most of them are free now on Amazon kindle (if you have a smart phone download the app for free!)

quicklime
02-03-2012, 12:46 AM
other "fun reads" for me when i want to turn my brain off instead of finding new horrors:

The Fox and the Hound, The Killers, and A Sporting Chance by Daniel Mannix

Catalogs and books related to my hobbies (Mycelium Running is my book right now)

Old Bradbury horror and sci fi, esp. sci fi, which was often not that frightening but i just plain like how the guy writes

bickering here on AW

On Writing, by King

mostly though I stick to my bleak stuff....it has never given me nightmares so I've never had a reason to avoid it I guess.

Cathy C
02-03-2012, 12:57 AM
Goodnight Moon. (a million kids can't be wrong... ;) )

Sea Witch
02-03-2012, 01:01 AM
Years ago when I had a very stressful job, before bed I used to read--I think it was--a history of humorous prose or something like that. I loved it and went to sleep chuckling every night.

But the best part of it, what I remember the clearest, is some letters from Groucho Marx. So if I was looking for something now to relax by in the evening, I'd get a book just on those. They're hilarious, original, and priceless.

Cliff Face
02-03-2012, 01:55 AM
Anything by Douglas Adams or Bill Bryson.

Calvin And Hobbes comics maybe?

Mclesh
02-03-2012, 02:00 AM
Anything by Douglas Adams or Bill Bryson.

Calvin And Hobbes comics maybe?

These are really good suggestions. I think we have the whole Calvin and Hobbes collection. :) And Douglas Adams is so funny.

How about something light and funny like Bridget Jones Diary?

Cliff Face
02-03-2012, 02:03 AM
I used to have 1 of the compendiums of Calvin And Hobbes. I read the entire thing on a flight to England. :tongue

Loved that thing, but it seems to have gone AWOL. :(

Oh! And another blast from the past - because of the Tin Tin movie coming out, last time I went into a bookstore, there was an entire display with every Tin Tin comic ever made on it. OMG I want them all, but they're like $30 each. :(

Mclesh
02-03-2012, 02:11 AM
Our Calvin and Hobbes collection -- maybe ten or eleven books -- were given to us courtesy of our neighbor who believed our son should receive a proper education. :)

$30 apiece. Too rich for me too. :(

Something to look forward to when you're a bestselling author some day.

kayleamay
02-03-2012, 02:20 AM
I don't know any of his vampire, demon or zombie books ... but I have read "Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal" which is absolutely hilarious ...

I'm putting in a second vote for this one. I laughed so hard I had to put the book down a couple of times due to watering eyes.

Cliff Face
02-03-2012, 02:24 AM
What was that book by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman about the apocalypse?

That was one of the funniest books I've ever read - I read it in 2 days, which is pretty fast for me.

Unfortunately, I borrowed it from the library, so can't look at my bookshelf to see the title...

"Good Omens" was it?

Jodie
02-03-2012, 04:01 AM
What about the cozy mysteries like The Cat Who series by Lilian Jackson Braun, or the Hamish Macbeth ones by M.C Beaton.
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M._C._Beaton)

thothguard51
02-03-2012, 04:02 AM
Archie Comic's...

Silver King
02-03-2012, 05:09 AM
...apologies if this breaks a forum rule, but yeah, want to see the dumb leading the blind, or something like that: http://www.shroomery.org/forums/
I bookmarked that one for future reference. Some adult and NSFW content, but it seems pretty damn funny from what little I gleaned just now.

L.C. Blackwell
02-03-2012, 06:49 AM
The Mitford series (Jan Karon)
All Things Bright and Beautiful (James Herriot)
All Creatures Great and Small (James Herriot)
Moose Country (or anything else by Sam Campbell)
Never Sniff a Gift Fish (Patrick McManus)
They Shoot Canoes, Don't They? (Patrick McManus)
Chicken Soup for the Writer's Soul
Nobody's Girl (Hector Malot)
Girl of the Limberlost (Gene Stratton Porter)

to get you started.... :)

Cathy C
02-03-2012, 04:16 PM
Ooo! Definitely Patrick McManus! Just don't try to drink anything while you do unless you like liquids coming out of your nose! Plus, they're all shorts, so you can stop anytime & drop off while chuckling.

Thump
02-03-2012, 04:25 PM
If you get nightmares a lot, you should try to learn how to do Lucid Dreaming. Even if you don't go all the way and master the art, many of the techniques are really helpful at fighting off nightmares.

As a general rule, I enjoy scary dreams ;) but I used to have this terrifying, extremely vivid nightmare. It was a very simple set-up but holy cow was it nasty! It was complete with tactile sensations and it mimicked wherever I was sleeping that night, including the noises going on in the waking world and had two or three false awakenings. N-A-S-T-Y!

Then I worked on lucid dreaming because it sounds like a blast and one night, when the dream started, I suddenly thought "Hell to the NO! I'm not falling for it again" and got myself out. I'd had lucid dreams before getting into the techniques and all that but working on it means I have more control and are more likely to identify that I'm dreaming.

It's not Inception-cool but if you do get a chance to rule your dream-world every now and then, it's pretty awesome :D

Siri Kirpal
02-03-2012, 10:48 PM
Sat Nam! (literally Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Anything by Robert Fulghum: his books are funny, positive and inspiring.

I second nearly everything on L.C. Blackwell's list.

Ogden Nash is funny.

Books of affirmations are good to read before bed. (Any tradition.)

And (off the reading topic) learn to breathe deeply: Inhale slowly and let the belly expand; exhale slowly and let the belly contract.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Nawlins
02-09-2012, 05:28 AM
Mitford, yes! Also the Lucia books by E.F. Benson.

What has worked most for me, re: nightmares, is to look at them and figure out a message for it. If I've got someone chasing me, I think, ok, that's a stress dream, , so I'm worrying about xyz... Doesn't necessarily end nightmares, but it makes getting back to sleep peacefully a bit easier.

thothguard51
02-09-2012, 05:36 AM
What? No one likes Archie Comics?

randywrite
02-09-2012, 07:35 AM
MAD magazine here. : )

Cathy C
02-09-2012, 03:58 PM
What? No one likes Archie Comics?

Sure! Love them. Own hundreds, but I've never considered them as "avoiding nightmares" fare. They're just regular, everyday reading. :D