Is the Daily Show supposed to be considered good satire?

Ed Panther

Banned
Reaction score
I don't understand.

He sits at a desk and spews hatred for the rich and conservative for thirty minutes. He has some obvious jokes thrown in here and there.

He used to be a lot better, and actually had some tact and creativity on occasion. Now Colbert is the only one worth watching.

And no, it has nothing to do with "me not understanding him" or "just not liking what he has to say". Colbert, if you haven't noticed, makes fun of Republicans probably 10 times as often as he does Democrats. It doesn't matter because he is actually funny, and doesn't sound hateful and spiteful.

What do you think?

lizbeth dylan

Registered
Reaction score
I like both shows but given the choice of one or the other, prefer TDS. Stewart is a much better interviewer, Colbert is more interested in being borderline obnoxious while interviewing while Stewart can walk the line between letting the guest have their say AND being humorous. I also like Stewart's dry wit better.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The main difference between The Daily Show and The Cobert Report, for me, is that Stewart doesn't use the high level of sarcasm that Cobert does. Cobert's also closer to true satire than Stewart is.

Personally, Cobert's sarcastic egotistical character is the reason I can't stand his show. Stewart's style of commentary is more along the lines of George Carlin, whom I adored.

But if you don't like Stewart's show, do what I do with Cobert: don't watch it. There's no requirement to watch both, even if the channel would like the ratings. *shrug*

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
I don't see him "spewing hatred" at all.
Me neither. Maybe we're somehow missing it.

lizbeth dylan said:
I like both shows but given the choice of one or the other, prefer TDS. Stewart is a much better interviewer, Colbert is more interested in being borderline obnoxious while interviewing while Stewart can walk the line between letting the guest have their say AND being humorous. I also like Stewart's dry wit better.
Well, they're doing different things. Colbert has to walk a different line -- maintaining his show persona as a comically clueless conservative, while at the same time -- either by satirical, deadpan exaggeration in agreeing with some of the more conservative guests, or by providing openings for some of the more liberal guests -- showing the absurdity of what his character espouses. He has to remain in character.

Here's Colbert dismantling Laura Ingraham, using her own dull-witted (yet inexplicably best-selling) attempts at satire against her. (She plays checkers; he plays three-dimensional Star Trek chess.)

Jon Stewart gets to pretty much be himself, and argue directly (and politely; sometimes I think he goes too easy).

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter
Was this Thread in response to JS's obliterating Brad Pitt?

Seriously, I prefer the Daily Show (tho I'm a "watch-both" person), but mainly on days when Stewart does NOT have a celebrity on. And the reason I (thought) I liked him was because he tends to be more middle of the road. He certainly has a liberal bent, but he also recognizes the universiality of human foibles.

The OP strikes me as Underbridge bait. Could you show me a clip of JS spewing this hatred of his?

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
I absolutely love watching Jon Stewart and TDS. And while there are plenty of times I've seen Jon clearly angry and outraged (the college football coach story, IIRC), he has kept that anger on a short leash. I have never seen him "spewing hatred." He is a professional comedian doing fake news commentary, and he's excellent at what he does.

lizbeth dylan

Registered
Reaction score
Often times Colbert doesn't show anyone's absurdity but his own while he just talks over them.

Sorry, different opinions & all that. I agree more with DeleyanLee's comments above.

Last edited:

Ketzel

Leaving on the 2:19
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think Stewart spews hatred. I think he displays moral indignation frequently, though, and I'm usually in agreement with him, although sometimes he gets a little sanctimonious for me. I think Colbert can often make the same points with more subtlety and genuine wit.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
[Maryn closes her eyes and ears, because she recorded it to watch tonight.]

Ed Panther

Banned
Reaction score
I should state that I've only really watched Jon Stewart this season. I remember watching the Daily Show like 5 years and I enjoyed it a lot more then.

I think Colbert is a lot more creative, funny, and intelligent - and he is a much better interviewer. Not that Jon Stewart is a bad interviewer. He himself is very, very good. But Colbert has some of the most lively and insightful interviews, like the ones he had with James Franco and Samuel L Jackson for instance.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
I should state that I've only really watched Jon Stewart this season. I remember watching the Daily Show like 5 years and I enjoyed it a lot more then.

I think Colbert is a lot more creative, funny, and intelligent - and he is a much better interviewer. Not that Jon Stewart is a bad interviewer. He himself is very, very good. But Colbert has some of the most lively and insightful interviews, like the ones he had with James Franco and Samuel L Jackson for instance.
They're both very good at what they do. They both skewer hypocrisy, but in very different ways. Comedy is not a monolithic pursuit, any more than is writing. Preferring one over the other is more a matter of taste than anything else.

I prefer Stewart's interviews, because he actually interviews the person -- and sometimes challenges them, but is never disrespectful. Colbert's interviews aren't actually interviews for the most part - they're performance pieces, and sometimes brilliant.

As for spewing hatred, Stewart stumbled upon a magic formula years ago. Show actual news clips of someone talking insane nonsense, then cut back to the host with his mouth hanging open.

But imo, Stewart (and his writers) do the sharpest political satire on the air. They have a real talent for distilling the real issues out of the morass of bullshit coming out of political mouths, and focusing like a laser on hypocrisy.

And yes, he concentrates more on conservatives. Part of it is that he's liberal himself (As are most comedians and most creative people) and part of it is they provide so many opportunities.

Gingrich. Perry. Bachmann. Trump. Herman Cain!

Comedy gold, folks.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score

I am a huge James Franco fan, and that was a great interview. He really brought out his intelligence.

I see why you prefer Colbert. But...really, I think that Stewart is about as far from hateful as a political commentator can get. He uses humor when he disagrees with someone. The only time I've ever really seen him angry was on Crossfire, not The Daily Show.

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
The only time I've ever really seen him angry was on Crossfire, not The Daily Show.

I remember that! Oh yes, the "I'm not your monkey" reply. Oh yes, indeed!

There are times when Stewart is mad, and he doesn't pull his punches at all. Remember the Cramer interview? Woof.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
Gingrich. Perry. Bachmann. Trump. Herman Cain!

Comedy gold, folks.
Something Stewart has noted several times throughout the GOP race. :p

I also like how they can keep their shows fresh and spice them up from time to time, like the recent Super Pac "storyline" between Colbert and Stewart. The chase was humorous. :D

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
Spews hatred for the rich and conservative...

Sounds like we have a FoxNews commentator hanging out on these boards.

Seriously. It's pretty damn hard to feel sorry for the rich, even if they are the butts of all those Daily Show jokes.

Maybe they should stop doing stupid things that make them targets for comedians. Then they might be able to get on their sad, sorry lives.

IMHO, Stewart is a brilliant comedian who channels moral outrage into biting humor. The fact is he restrains himself from spewing hatred, and turns it into jokes instead.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Jon Stewart is damn clever and funny. Stephen Colbert is damn clever and funny. They have different styles in their programs. Remember also that Colbert got his big start in Stewart's program.

caw

Nissie

not a beer
Registered
Reaction score

With celebrities, you mean. With anyone just promoting a book Colbert tends to be less engaging, and delivers witty one-liners just for the humor involved, with little insight on the issue at hand. He's a liberal pretending to be a Republican (a few Republicans and Fox News have quoted him the past without seemingly being aware he said it for the satire) so he has to maintain being obnoxious.

Colbert's funny when it comes to many of his segments, but I'd consider Stewart the better interviewer as a whole. He styles himself as a reasonably intelligent man astounded by all the stupidity that's going on around him. I love how he used Bill O'Reilly (one of three people I particularly despise in the media) as his punching bag.

Auroch

Banned
Reaction score
The Daily show has grown a bit tired, in my opinion. Its the same old jokes over and over. Plus its pretty obvious Jon Stewart (real name Jonathan Stuart Leibowitz) has grown too comfortable with his riches and had saddled up with the wealthy pro-Israel crowd in New York City.