font questions

oaktree

Registered
Reaction score
It's my understanding that if you are publishing a book (either an e-book or POD), you likely can't use the normal fonts on your computer because of licensing issues. How does everyone get around this? I've tried to find out if this applies to fonts in Scrivener, since that piece of software is basically designed for uploading books into e-book formats, but I can't find anything. I'm also not sure about the fonts in openoffice, since that's freeware.

Help?

J. Tanner

Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorjtanner.wordpress.com
If you're publishing an e-book, the font you write in is completely ignored.

The fonts included in Windows and commercial writing applications are generally usable for commercial purposes. Where people fall into a trap is downloading fonts from the internet without reading the terms of use. Some are only free for personal, not commercial, use.

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
The basic fonts, Times New Roman and Arial, are fine. Once your book is on Kindle or Nook (or another e-reader), the consumer can choose the font they like best from a list.

oaktree

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for clarifying this for me!

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
Is this question regarding fonts on book covers, since that is the section you posted in? You'll get completely different answers.

If you're design program comes with a bundle of fonts, it's safe to assume that those fonts are fair use for commercial and personal purposes. If you've downloaded additional fonts, then you need to keep track of them and their specific CC terms. For example, a font downloaded from the net might require permissions or additional purchase for commercial use.

oaktree

Registered
Reaction score
Gale, I did originally post on the main board, because I was wondering about this in regards to book interiors in addition to covers. I'd read things in a few other places that sounded like the fonts pre-installed on my computer were not fair game. I'm understanding now that that isn't the case.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Since there seems to be some confusion, this sub-forum is for covers and book design; i.e., formatting and all the other technical issues.