PDA

View Full Version : font questions

oaktree
02-02-2012, 05:30 AM
It's my understanding that if you are publishing a book (either an e-book or POD), you likely can't use the normal fonts on your computer because of licensing issues. How does everyone get around this? I've tried to find out if this applies to fonts in Scrivener, since that piece of software is basically designed for uploading books into e-book formats, but I can't find anything. I'm also not sure about the fonts in openoffice, since that's freeware.

Help?

J. Tanner
02-02-2012, 07:24 AM
If you're publishing an e-book, the font you write in is completely ignored.

The fonts included in Windows and commercial writing applications are generally usable for commercial purposes. Where people fall into a trap is downloading fonts from the internet without reading the terms of use. Some are only free for personal, not commercial, use.

merrihiatt
02-02-2012, 07:59 AM
The basic fonts, Times New Roman and Arial, are fine. Once your book is on Kindle or Nook (or another e-reader), the consumer can choose the font they like best from a list.

oaktree
02-03-2012, 05:53 AM
Thanks for clarifying this for me!

Gale Haut
02-03-2012, 06:33 AM
Is this question regarding fonts on book covers, since that is the section you posted in? You'll get completely different answers.

If you're design program comes with a bundle of fonts, it's safe to assume that those fonts are fair use for commercial and personal purposes. If you've downloaded additional fonts, then you need to keep track of them and their specific CC terms. For example, a font downloaded from the net might require permissions or additional purchase for commercial use.

J. Tanner
02-03-2012, 07:25 AM
It was originally posted in the general self pub forum if I recall. I think a moderator moved it here. :)

oaktree
02-03-2012, 10:23 PM
Gale, I did originally post on the main board, because I was wondering about this in regards to book interiors in addition to covers. I'd read things in a few other places that sounded like the fonts pre-installed on my computer were not fair game. I'm understanding now that that isn't the case.

Al Stevens
02-03-2012, 10:53 PM
Here again:

http://www.microsoft.com/typography/RedistributionFAQ.mspx

CaoPaux
02-03-2012, 11:15 PM
Since there seems to be some confusion, this sub-forum is for covers and book design; i.e., formatting and all the other technical issues.

oaktree
02-04-2012, 03:07 AM
Since there seems to be some confusion, this sub-forum is for covers and book design; i.e., formatting and all the other technical issues.

Thank you!