What is commercial fiction?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chekurtab

Smart donkey. Please don't call me-
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure somewhere in the depth of AWWC buried a discussion about commercial fiction, but I can't find one. I understand what commercial fiction is. I'm not sure how to classify it. Is it a genre, a category, or maybe an umbrella term? Please share your thoughts.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure somewhere in the depth of AWWC buried a discussion about commercial fiction, but I can't find one. I understand what commercial fiction is. I'm not sure how to classify it. Is it a genre, a category, or maybe an umbrella term? Please share your thoughts.

To me, it's anything that isn't literary fiction [i.e any agent asking for 'commercial fiction' is fair game ;)]

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com

If A is the set of best-sellers, and B is the set of high-profile literary prize-winners, then 'commercial fiction' = A - (A & B).

Chekurtab

Registered
Reaction score
If A is the set of best-sellers, and B is the set of high-profile literary prize-winners, then 'commercial fiction' = A - (A & B).

A - (A&B) = - B. Is it opposite of literary prize-winners? Or is it what my favorite thinker of 21st century calls "fuzzy math"? LOL.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
A - (A&B) = - B. Is it opposite of literary prize-winners? Or is it what my favorite thinker of 21st century calls "fuzzy math"? LOL.

You need to study your set theory. Or just draw a Venn diagram.

In Torgo's definition, A - (A & B) is the set of bestselling authors who are not high-profile literary prize winners.

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
Commercial fiction is anything that a tiny subset of people (acquisitions editors and lit agents) think will sell well.

In the words of a buddy of mine, in a disillusioned moment: "Commercial fiction is anything you're not writing."

QuantumIguana

Registered
Reaction score
I've heard the phrase used as a term of derision toward books that people actually bought...

Chekurtab

Registered
Reaction score
You need to study your set theory. Or just draw a Venn diagram.

In Torgo's definition, A - (A & B) is the set of bestselling authors who are not high-profile literary prize winners.

I see...Interesting.
I believe the consensus is that commercial is an umbrella for genre best sellers.
Is it Okay to submit your work as "commercial fiction" to an agent who seeks it, or you need to be more specific?

smellycat6464

Registered
Reaction score
books that are fun to read
literary fiction are books that you are forced to read, or as mark twain put it, books that people own but never use!

haha that was a bit of a stereotype, I have a friend who thoroughly enjoys books like all quiet on the western front, or the sun also rises, but hates harry potter and hunger games with a passion

but if the purpose is to entertain, its commercial, if its supposed to teach something, then its literary, if it does neither, its one of those backwards books the scary people in my college read haha

Reaction score
Echoing kuwi's post, and to add that this:
books that are fun to read
literary fiction are books that you are forced to read, or as mark twain put it, books that people own but never use!
...is also plain wrong. I read literary novels all the time and love them.

Chekurtab

Registered
Reaction score
I see we swerved off the topic. But smellycat was quoting Mark Twain. I don't remember the quote ad verbatim, so I paraphrase:
The literary classic is a novel that everyone want to have read, but nobody wants to read.

It's a good joke, and as all Twain's jokes it has a point.

Architectus

Registered
Reaction score
Commercial fiction is designed to make money, to write for the masses, dumbed down most likely, just like Hollywood movies are dumbed down. However, readers are less lazy and more likely to want their minds expanded and are then willing to read an intelligent novel.

Still, what the masses want is Dean Koontz, fast thrillers, romance, etc.

QuantumIguana

Registered
Reaction score
Shame on the lowly peasants for reading books they actually enjoy. They should read books that are the equivalent of creamed spinach, that are not to enjoy, but are instead somehow "good for you".

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Commercial fiction is designed to make money, to write for the masses, dumbed down most likely, just like Hollywood movies are dumbed down. However, readers are less lazy and more likely to want their minds expanded and are then willing to read an intelligent novel.

Still, what the masses want is Dean Koontz, fast thrillers, romance, etc.

Oh dear. Here we go again.
I seem to recall you slamming populist fiction in another thread a while back.
Literary snobbery gets sodding tiresome after a while.

Enjoy your worthy reads, I'll just keep writing my commercial trash.

Reaction score
There's such a thing as literary romance, too.

There's a headfuck for you.

Chekurtab

Registered
Reaction score
Let me go back to the original question. It it all right to claim you are writing commercial fiction? Or is it too ambitious? Too vague? Should you be more specific? More humble?

Reaction score
If it were me, I'd probably specify genre. "Commercial" is something that comes into the mix later, when you get to the promotion/marketing stage. In my opinion, of course. It always seems to me like giving that label to a book before it's published and selling is a bit like tempting fate.

Status
Not open for further replies.