PDA

View Full Version : Going to Self-Publish -Here's my cover!

MoonStone
02-01-2012, 11:20 AM
I wanted to go the traditional route initially, but upon failing I decided to self-publish.
I had at first been contacted by a publishing house who was interested in my book but after the 5th or so meeting, someone higher up decided it wasn't what they were looking for. It was an emotional roller coaster ride-Being accepted and passed through so many people, to have it end at the final stage.

My book is about my life growing up with the ability to see and hear spirits. I realize this isn't for everyone, so I hope the skeptics will put this aside for the time being. The book is about my life, with information for those wanting to grow in their own abilities. The publisher decided it wouldn't publish my book, and I was told one reason was that they expected more readings. That's okay. So I think self publishing is the route for me, and I'm happy to take it! I know it won't be easy..that's okay.

I started writing this book around 2006 and added to it a few years after that. I have continuously been editing it..and still am to this very day. I hope to be satisfied with it (done editing) very soon..Can't wait..

Please take a look!

I had my sister Lisa create the cover for me (she is a professional graphic designer). Here is my website: www.wix.com/intuitions/livingwithspirits (http://www.wix.com/intuitions/livingwithspirits)

Any tips let me know!

Thank you

merrihiatt
02-01-2012, 12:04 PM
Sorry, your site requires FlashPlayer and I'm using an iPad. When I'm near my laptop again, I'll check it out.

Carradee
02-01-2012, 04:07 PM
Lovely cover image, but the cover text looks too small. I don't think it'll work in thumbnail size (which is how most will see your cover).

Also, as a professional, your sister should already know this, but just in case… Fonts have personal and commercial licenses. The ones that come with your computer probably only have personal licenses. If you're going to use a font in something like a book cover, you need a commercial license.

I've known professional graphic designers who didn't know that, so no offense intended to your sister.

merrihiatt
02-01-2012, 04:31 PM
Just got back here and clicked on your link. I love the tree and the sun. The book title and author name are very, very small and hard to read. I'm not sure what the significance of the dog is, but it drew my attention from the center of the page. I also had almost a sense of wanting to protect the young girl. I'm not sure that anyone else would have that reaction, but thought I'd share that in case it is useful in some way. Good luck!

Terie
02-01-2012, 07:07 PM
As Caradee said, the title is barely readable at the image size on your site. It will be completely unreadable at thumbnail size.

You might want to go to the Self-Pub/POD Covers subforum (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=219) (where this thread will probably get moved to anyway) and read up on e-book cover design there. You'll get a lot of really useful information.

A. K. Fotinos-Hoyer
02-01-2012, 08:09 PM
Love the art work on your cover! Nice :)

MoonStone
02-01-2012, 10:17 PM
Thank you all for your comments and suggestions.

I will consider the font size for the next book.

Carradee, she has been a graphic designer for over 12 years now creating billboards and other logos and ads for big companies, as well as wildlife conservations. She understands her rights, and rest assured everything has been taken care of accordingly. :)

Hi Merrihiatt, my book has a strong connection with family. I know that anyone who has ever owned and loved a pet will understand her significance. The dog is an important piece of the story and my life :) She really ties the book together at the end ;) Overall I feel the title is the brightest and I am happy with how it turned out.

The panther above is her spirit guide-who is protecting her/watching over her. So perhaps that is good you felt "protection".

Thanks all

merrihiatt
02-02-2012, 04:34 AM
I completely missed the panther! I had to go back and look at the cover again.

Chris P
02-02-2012, 04:36 AM
Great job! Lovely colors and pictures, and I agree with others about the text.

Gale Haut
02-02-2012, 05:09 AM
It's a nice cover. Good job.

TaylorDuke
02-02-2012, 05:19 AM
Wow...fantastic cover.

veinglory
02-02-2012, 05:30 AM
I waited 20s for the site to load, but... nope.

Dani
02-02-2012, 05:44 AM
Well, I love the cover, but I'm with Emily on that website. Flash websites are just not a good idea. Especially since you're marketing to e-readers. Most of them will have like an amazon kindle or ipad or even an iphone. Think about what that means as a marketing tool for your book.

Otherwise, I"m in love with the cover and the blurb has me interested. I'm not sure what I believe about mediums - I'm very very very cynical and skeptical, but it does fascinate me.

Al Stevens
02-02-2012, 05:58 AM
Also, as a professional, your sister should already know this, but just in case… Fonts have personal and commercial licenses. The ones that come with your computer probably only have personal licenses. If you're going to use a font in something like a book cover, you need a commercial license.

I've known professional graphic designers who didn't know that, so no offense intended to your sister.
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/RedistributionFAQ.mspx

Gale Haut
02-02-2012, 08:25 AM

Programs almost always come with fonts that can be used without permission. The licenses only cover resale of the fonts, as in re-packaging and selling them as a bundle or part of another program. Using a font as a part of a design is not the same as selling the font.

If a font is downloaded from another source, then you have something to worry about. And it also depends on what country or region you live in.

MoonStone
02-02-2012, 08:57 AM
Thank you,

Good point about the web site. I'll be sure to make another one that it not flash for that purpose. Does anyone have any suggestions on a place that hosts for free? I am pretty dirt poor, so not paying for a site -at least not until I can afford to :)
thanks!

lady_K
02-12-2012, 05:15 AM
wow, wonderful cover! i think you're site is top-notch ;)