PDA

View Full Version : Need to learn about FBI agents...

OneWriter
02-01-2012, 09:35 AM
Hey, look who's back... :)

:hi:

Okay, sorry guys, been gone a bit... Hope everybody's well!

So, the crime for my next mystery falls under the FBI territory, which means I need to learn about FBI agents. Do you guys have any recommendations? For example, when I had to learn about the LAPD, besides browsing their website, I read LAPD true crime books and got in touch with a retired LAPD.

I've got John Douglas books, but more than serial killers I'm interested in biological threats and bioterrorism investigations...

All help is greatly appreciated!

thanks!

jeseymour
02-01-2012, 07:04 PM
There are current and retired federal agents (not sure if any are FBI) in the water cooler. On the water cooler? Anyway, I found folks to talk to by posting in the research thread. I know of a DEA agent and a DUSM.

Carlene
02-01-2012, 07:38 PM
Call the local FBI office and ask to speak to the public information officer.

Carlene

heyjude
02-01-2012, 10:25 PM
Hey, One! :hi: I'm going to whisk you away to the Experts forum, where you'll get more responses. Hang on to your hats...

ironmikezero
02-01-2012, 11:08 PM
As Carlene suggested, contact your nearest FBI field office and speak with the Public Information Officer (PIO). Since you've indicated an interest in biological threats/bio-terrorism, you might consider doing the same with the Dept. of Homeland Security (DHS).

If your inquiries prove less fruitful than you've hoped, PM me.

The Grift
02-02-2012, 02:30 AM
Sampling of books:

Bear in mind that the FBI is not the only agency that investigates terrorism or biological weapons, but most of the following books have quite a bit about those subjects...

About the FBI/Counterterrorism:
1000 Years for Revenge - Peter Lance
The Threat Matrix - Garrett M. Graff
The FBI - Ronald Kessler (more about the history)
The Terrorist Watch - Ronald Kessler
Hunting the American Terrorist - Terry Turchie
American Jihad - Steven Emerson
The Age of Sacred Terror - Daniel Benjamin

Autobiographies of Special Agents (not Douglas):
Cold Zero - Christopher Whitcomb
No Heroes - Danny Coulson
Bullets, Bombs, and Fasttalk - James Botting
Don't Shoot, We're Republicans - Jack Owens
Special Agent - Candace Delong

Those are some of the ones I have read that I have for the most part found enjoyable/informative. There's a lot out there. Like a whole lot. People are fascinated by the FBI, and a book about them is more likely to get published than a similar book about an ATF agent, a DHS HSI agent, or an OIG agent with the FDA or HHS.

To try and get in the mind of an FBI special agent, why not try reading some fiction by former agents? There are less restrictions on what a former agent can publish as fiction as opposed to autobiography. Some authors who have done it are: Christopher Whitcomb, Gene Riehl and Noah Boyd.

A good near-future fiction book (not by a former special agent) about the FBI and biological terrorism is Quantico by Greg Bear.