BBC Breakfast - big misconceptions

areteus

Registered
Reaction score
This morning on BBC Breakfast they had a piece on ebooks. At least that is what they said it was about. In actual fact, when the piece actually came on, they had two authors who were quite clearly talking about the self published e book market. No mention was made of any publishers, either small or bix six, doing ebooks.

Now, since it is clear that this blatant misconception about the nature of both self publishing and e-publishing has apparently now hit the mainstream (if BBC Breakfast are talking about it, trust me its mainstream...) are there any strategies that we as writers can do to ensure that accurate information is out there? It concerns me that there seems to be this assumption by many that:

- All self publishing is done on ebooks (its not, many do print too)
- All ebooks are self published (they are not, there are many small press who do a lot of ebooks and you can get a hell of a lot of traditionally published books on ebooks now too).

I could also add to this that there are many classics out on ebook - not only the free ones that Amazon throw out but from places like Project Gutenberg - which surely is something that might encourage people to support the ebook as a concept (since the majority of journalistic coverage seems to be 'bookshops closing down! Ebooks killing publishers!' and other negative things....)*

So... what can we do to inform and educate? SHOULD we inform and educate?

* I don't necessarily disagree with these points, though I don't think it is as simple as all that either...

Purple Rose

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alxblog.net
Maybe someone should just contact BBC and have them broadcast a correction.

The two assumptions you made are spot-on. Other than my die-hard e-book readers, everyone I know thinks exactly like that until I explain the differences between self-pub, traditional e-pub, indie pub, e-books, etc

Frankly, I think it would be irresponsible of the Beeb to misinform the public. They should be clear on what e-books are all about.

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
My friends don't really pay any attention to publishers. If they like the cover and the book description, they check out the Look Inside feature and then decide if they'll buy the e-book or not.

Funny aside, my mom's iPad and mine are synced and I always buy one copy of my e-books so I can see how they will look on my iPad Kindle app. My mom reads my books and then forgets what she reads, so she re-reads them. I download a lot of books by a wide variety of authors (trade pubbed and self-pubbed), so my mom receives those books on her Kindle app, as well. The other day she said, "I know you've been busy writing, but did you write all these books on here?" There are probably close to 200-250 books on my iPad Kindle app. I told her I wished I'd written all those books, but no, only 10 of them were written by me. Hee Hee

areteus

Registered
Reaction score
Misconceptions and spotting them are my job :)

I don't have time now to contact them (running late as it is :) ) but I will get a comment in sometime tomorrow...

hughhowey

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.hughhowey.com
So... what can we do to inform and educate? SHOULD we inform and educate?

I made the same goof in a thread this morning, and if asked, I *know* the difference. It's just that the concepts are so deeply embedded in every bookstore conversation I have that it's become Kleenex vs. Facial Tissue. You say the wrong thing because of convention, habit, and laziness.

If this becomes so pervasive that it's the norm, the answer will be to create a new term for professionally published e-books (since "e-book" is becoming synonymous with self-pubbed e-book). For anyone who loves the purity of language, this is going to rankle. For people who love to fight uphill battles they have no chance in hell of winning, this is going to be all kinds of fun!

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
(since "e-book" is becoming synonymous with self-pubbed e-book)

No, it really isn't. I have plenty of non-writer friends who think an e-book is a digital version of a book -- period. Not one of them makes the assumption that e-books are self-published.

Kriven

Banned
Reaction score
Website
gallerylost.blogspot.com
In general, I don't think most non-writers really care about self-pubbed or traditional pubbed, it's all just "books." And "books" can be e-books or paper books, they're still just "books."

E-Book, to most people with half a brain, means electronic book. It does not mean "exclusively do-it-yourself electronic book." It means electronic book.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Most of the people I see who confuse "e-book" with "self-published" are self-published writers. Not readers, not people who work in trade publishing, and not trade-published writers.

areteus

Registered
Reaction score
In general, I don't think most non-writers really care about self-pubbed or traditional pubbed, it's all just "books." And "books" can be e-books or paper books, they're still just "books."

E-Book, to most people with half a brain, means electronic book. It does not mean "exclusively do-it-yourself electronic book." It means electronic book.

This is true for many. However, when a major media corporation makes it clear that they do not either understand or wish to acknowledge that there are any ebooks that are not self published (it was even stated that 'ebooks are outside of publishing houses') then I feel that there is a problem.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
No, it really isn't. I have plenty of non-writer friends who think an e-book is a digital version of a book -- period. Not one of them makes the assumption that e-books are self-published.

Same here. Maybe it's because most (if not all) of the e-books they own are :drum roll: trade published.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
This is true for many. However, when a major media corporation makes it clear that they do not either understand or wish to acknowledge that there are any ebooks that are not self published (it was even stated that 'ebooks are outside of publishing houses') then I feel that there is a problem.

I can't comment on the article because I didn't see it: but as I understand it this was an interview, not an investigative piece. So the interviewers are relying on their interviewee to provide the pertinent information, to some extent at least.

Were this a major news story, involving fraud or murder, then yes, I'd expect the interviewers to be much better briefed; and yes, I do think it's disappointing that they weren't aware of the differences.

I do hope that the people who have taken the time to complain about it here have also taken the time to explain the problem to the BBC.

Purple Rose

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alxblog.net
I have plenty of non-writer friends who think an e-book is a digital version of a book -- period. Not one of them makes the assumption that e-books are self-published.

I find this true of nearly everyone I know, most of whom are non-writers and many of whom are readers of print books. To them, an e-book is simply an electronic book regardless of who published it. Like an ecard or an e-invoice or bank statement. To them, it's just another medium, that's all.

It is therefore quite astonishing to see how many people on writer's forums all over the world making similar assumptions or are similarly confused. And of course, we've also read with a little horror how some even throw indie publishing into the mix and believe indie = self-publishing = e-publishing.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
I can't comment on the article because I didn't see it: but as I understand it this was an interview, not an investigative piece. So the interviewers are relying on their interviewee to provide the pertinent information, to some extent at least.

This.

There is a UK writing magazine that I subscribe to, and they carry a 'members news' page. You have to carefully read between the lines, most of the time you can't identify that they've self-published until they place a little ad like 'book X is available through Amazon Kindle' after the piece.

Maybe the interviewees have been sneaky with the BBC researcher?

areteus

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, it was an interview not an investigative piece and so some blame may rest with who they were interviewing. However... the questions were leading and the whole piece began with the assumption. The intention seemed to have been to pit two authors, one a trad published author the other a successful self published author, against each other. Now, I would have been happy if they had advertised it as 'Traditional vs Self' which is what they actually ended up discussing.

And it is odd that a lot of people don't make the assumption (and I agree there are many I know who do know this....) yet the media seems intent on perpetuating it.

hughhowey

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.hughhowey.com
I've been thinking about this thread, and I wonder if the following plays into how people think about e-books vs. physical books and self vs. traditional publishing:

The e-book version of a traditionally published book feels like an extension of that book, an off-shoot, just like the audio version. If we talk about Stephen King's latest e-book, we might refer to it simply as a "book," since this is the primary form it takes. The digital copy is secondary.

E-books with no physical counterpart, on the other hand, are perhaps thought of as something different. There is no other version; this is it. It's an e-book rather than a book-book that's been exported digitally. I'm not sure if this distinction is clear, but I can sense it in my own thought process when I picture the difference between a Stephen King novel and one of Amanda Hocking's old novels (before she signed or came out with her own physical copies).

For most self-published authors, it almost seems like the physical book is the offshoot from the digital. I would think most self-pubbed writers sell more of their e-books than their hard copies. So when we think of self-pubbed, we think of their primary revenue stream, which is the e-book. When we think of traditionally published authors, we think of hardbacks, which is their primary earner (chronologically, if not monetarily).

I'm not saying these distinctions are correct or that we should reinforce them, only that they perhaps lie below the surface and color our thought and speech.

What this means for professionally published e-books is unfortunate. Despite receiving a lot of the same care traditional books receive, they are lumped in with the primary stream of the self-published author rather than the more similar traditionally published author.

Again, I'm brainstorming for explanations, not justifications.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
^^ Hmmm, never thought of it that way before, but I think you're onto something.

cletus

I'm a king bee
Registered
Reaction score
Misconceptions and spotting them are my job :)
Misconceptions and reporting them is BBC Breakfast's job.

£145.50 per year is a lot to pay for Family Guy, which is about the only thing left on BBC worth watching these days. And don't get me started on BBC radio.