Country specific Blogger redirection...

Mac H.

Board Visitor
Registered
Reaction score
Blogger have started to roll out automatic redirection.

So someone in Australia who is viewing macharwood.blogspot.com will automatically be redirected to macharwood.blogspot.com.au

Does anyone know how this will affect Alexa rankings?

For example, I currently have an Alexa ranking of about 3 million
(or about 35 k in Australia)

But if some visitors get redirected to blogspot.com.au .. then surely it will stuff up the rankings? In particular it doesn't even believe that there are subdomains on blogspot.com.au !

I know it's petty .. but many sources (like helpareporter.com) use the Alexa Ranking of your blog to determine if you are large enough to use their services.

Anyone have any knowledge of this?

Mac

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
No info, but man I HATE sites that do this. As an ex-pat I know which site I want and sometimes it does not relate to the country I am in.

Mac H.

Board Visitor
Registered
Reaction score
That explains why Blogger is doing it.

BTW - taken literally they are saying that if you are in the USA you will be soon redirected to: (blogname).blogger.us

That way if they get a takedown notice under US law they will take it down only from the .us TLD and keep it up for the rest of the world.

However, I suspect that their explanation isn't correct .. I suspect that they consider 'US law' to the the 'normal' one and everyone else's versions to be just aberrations from the 'correct' one.

Being Google, though, I'd expect that Irish law should be the default - since they have their IP and assets in Ireland to avoid paying tax.

Mac

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
This whole thing does not make me happy. Especially the twee 'golly, we'll totally try not to totally screw up your pagerank, maybe' part.