Cursive Writing

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Billy_

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]Should we teach students the cursive writing (CV)? Presently more and more schools remove CV from the curriculum in favor of math, science and other skills.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Modern technology and computers are taking over. We use keyboards on all IT devices. Should we be worried? How will we sign our names in the future - with the electronic cards?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]What's your thoughts on this?[/FONT]

randi.lee

Certified Non-Genius
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rlwrites.com
So many people use and continue to use cursive that I think students would be without if not taught it. The Japanese would be a mess if either katakana or hiragana was suddenly no longer taught.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
My 16yo son can only sign his name in cursive. He admitted this weekend that he guesses at the cursive version of letters that aren't in his name.

This appalls me. They're taught basic cursive in 2nd or 3rd grade, and then it's dropped, like the kids know all they need to.

Katrina S. Forest

Registered
Reaction score
Website
katrinasforest.com
Hirgana and katakana are way different than cursive though. They're more equivalent to the ABC's. First children learn hiragana, then katakana, then kanji, correct?

I agree cursive seems to be less and less in use, but it's still prevalent enough that I think it's something students need to learn. Would I mourn its loss if it dies out in my lifetime? Probably not.

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
If this is your strategy for cranking up your post count to 50 in a mere two days, you're not making a good impression on the community.

The point of having people make 50 posts is to allow them to interact with the community and get familiar with who and what we are; it's not to bulk up the board with silly comments. I viewed your post history, and it's pretty obvious what you're doing.

(Please note that at the time I made this reply, the OP's sig read, 'Members with less than 50 posts won't be able to create new threads in Share Your Work rooms, yet. You can still comment on other people's work, though, and we encourage you to do so!')

_Billy_

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
If this is your strategy for cranking up your post count to 50 in a mere two days, you're not making a good impression on the community.

The point of having people make 50 posts is to allow them to interact with the community and get familiar with who and what we are; it's not to bulk up the board with silly comments. I viewed your post history, and it's pretty obvious what you're doing.

(Please note that at the time I made this reply, the OP's sig read, 'Members with less than 50 posts won't be able to create new threads in Share Your Work rooms, yet. You can still comment on other people's work, though, and we encourage you to do so!')

Please try to focus on the topic. What do you think about CV?

P.S.
Hmm I think you are wrong about my 50 posts and some answers don't require long posts.

Do you like my sig now.

Nostro

Registered
Reaction score
Website
the-constant-writer.blogspot.ie
I never got to grips to cursive writing. My writing tends to look like that of a drunk doctor's on a storm bound ship. I'm pretty sure it's still taught here but I wouldn't worry about it too much. Most official writing has been performed through a keypad for the last 70 years or so. We have just allied the keypad with electricity in the last few years. What I'm trying to say is... Long Live the Keyboard! I'd never have enjoyed writing if I had to do it by hand.

_Billy_

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
This is what I've found on the WWW to be the case against CV:

There's a reason nobody can read your goddamn signature -- cursive is hard to read. Many colleges forbid students from turning in exams written in cursive and present lectures via PowerPoint, not pretty P's and looping L's.

Ludicrous!

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
Please try to focus on the topic.

Please try to refrain from telling others how to respond to you.

You've been here scarcely a day and made over 50 posts in less than five hours. You might want to do as I suggested above and get to know the community.

Last edited:

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
In the old days, being able to write is what separated the educated from the uneducated. Food for thought. Puma

_Billy_

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I never got to grips to cursive writing. My writing tends to look like that of a drunk doctor's on a storm bound ship. I'm pretty sure it's still taught here but I wouldn't worry about it too much. Most official writing has been performed through a keypad for the last 70 years or so. We have just allied the keypad with electricity in the last few years. What I'm trying to say is... Long Live the Keyboard! I'd never have enjoyed writing if I had to do it by hand.

Just a quick thinking on that one. What if we suffer a major electricity shortage and all gadgets stop working?

We've got to write then, don't we?

_Billy_

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
So many people use and continue to use cursive that I think students would be without if not taught it. The Japanese would be a mess if either katakana or hiragana was suddenly no longer taught.

I guess you are totally right 'cause katakana and hiragana (primarily used for function words and inflections) are so hard to learn.

_Billy_

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I'm just curious as to why you've presented it as 'an argument against CV' when it's clearly not. It contributes nothing to the thread...

Because some people think it is a strong argument against CV when it;s clearly not.

I want to prove them wrong and that CV should be brought back to schools.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
This is what I've found on the WWW to be the case against CV:

Curriculum Vitae?

I guess you are totally right 'cause katakana and hiragana (primarily used for function words and inflections) are so hard to learn.

Not if you learn to read and write in Japan. It's harder for someone with a background speaking/writing English or other European based languages because it's a completely different system.

Because some people think it is a strong argument against CV when it;s clearly not.

I want to prove them wrong and that CV should be brought back to schools.

Seriously, CV doesn't stand for cursive. It's the equivalent of an employment resume. And if the standard for communication is moving away from cursive, there's no reason to backward. We no longer use cuneiform or hieroglyphics to communicate because other methods became the standard. Language is fluid and adaptive.

(Plus, I can think of several teachers who would have rather I never attempted to write in cursive, as it didn't mesh well with the size or slant of my writing.)

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I've forgotten how to write cursive. I haven't used it in the 40+ years since I learned it in grade school. I print when I hand write my stories. And my signature is just a series of unintelligible loops. I didn't understand why we needed to learn it then and I don't understand why we need to continue to learn it. No books, magazines, or anything are printed with cursive. It's archaic. Cursive should go the way of cave paintings.

Status
Not open for further replies.