How old were you when you got your driver's license?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puddle Jumper

How old were you when you got your driver's license and what do you think should be the minimum age to get a driver's license?

I was 14 so I think 14 is a good minimum age.

scfirenice

professional multitasker
Registered
Reaction score
I was 15. I think that you shouldn't be eligible for PERMANENT license until at least 17 or 18. Or better yet, you GRADUATE highschool. Kids have too much money and time on their hands and spend it driving like lunatics on the roads I have my kid on. Maryland is working on a law where teens can get their pemit at 15 but that's it until 17 and teens can't ride in cars together until that time. Research show teens with other teens in the car are many times more likely to crash.

Okay all you teens out there....sic me.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I got my license when I was 25. That's cuz I was a scaredy cat.

I'd say maybe 18 would be a good age.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was 20 and about to graduate from college when I realized there was something I'd forgotten to learn... I didn't have a car and could walk to everything I wanted to reach, but wasn't planning to live that way forever.

After taking two teenagers through it, and watching their heart-stopping beginners' errors and one tragic accident from which there will be no complete recovery for everyone involved, I'm inclined to think that later than the typical 16 might be wise, unless there's provable hardship resolved by licensing younger. I do like my state's restrictions on daylight vs. night driving for beginners.

Maryn

My-Immortal

Mr. Invisible
Registered
Reaction score

And as soon as I did, my parent's insurance jumped up and I had to go get a part time job just so I could pay the difference....nothing like working to pay for insurance on a car that you rarely got to drive.

Now that I'm older, (and as my wife likes to tell me - turning into a cranky old man...even though I'm in my 30s - lol) I think it should be raised to 18.

Oh, and here's something I hate (should add this to the HOH)... I hate seeing teenagers out on the road driving Hummers, BMWs, Jaguars, Corvettes etc...that's just wrong! They should have to drive beat-up station wagons and crapmobiles until they're at least out of high school!

Take care all -

emerald dragonfly

Registered
Reaction score
I was 16; got my permit at 15. What age is a good age to drive???I think it depends on the person who will be driving. But I think the youngest age should be 16. You can learn as you go.

My husband is a terrible driver and he's 50!!!!! LOL!!! He has a "backing up" problem. He says "he didn't see it there.' LOL!!!

MadScientistMatt

Empirical Storm Trooper
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madscientistmatt.blogspot.com
17 when I got my full license.

The trouble is, a driver really needs experience with driving to become a good driver. It seems reasonable to me to require a certain amount of supervised driving or other limited privaleges before a driver can have a full license.

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
I'm 16, and I can technically get a permit right now, but my parents won't let me. I understand them, I cause quite a lot of accidents on my feet. Plus, I don't feel responsible enough.

Anyway, here in Mexico you can get a permit from age 15, but the car insurance doesn't cover teenage accidents, so it's not a good idea to get the permit. Legal age to get a driver's licence is 18, and that's when I'm going to be getting mine :)

Jo

Travelling the re-write road
Registered
Reaction score
I was 16 (legal age in Australia) when I got my provisional license (P-plates - e.g. restrictions on maximum speed and blood alcohol content) and my full license a year later. Since *way back then* the provisional restriction time has been extended to two years or until you're 19 (whichever is longest), as well as the learners period (L-plates - was minimum of 3 months, now I think it's 6 months with, among other things, a minimum logbook entry of 10 hours night driving experience).

On a side note, Australia's legal drinking age is 18... You can imagine the road carnage of newbie drivers experimenting with alcohol (binge drinking is rife).

As for minimum license age... ah, well, if you want to drive, you have to learn sometime. It's a matter of maturity, though - and who can put an age on that?

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
In Mexico the drinking age is 18 and the legal age to get a permit is 15. Still, you see 13-year olds driving drunk in the streets. It's great to see the path our youth is taking (lol!!!!!! I sound like an adult!!!!!!)

Lantern Jack

My kitten knows kung-fu!
Registered
Reaction score
19, and it took me five tries to get it, even though I was only required to drive around the block. That was in the DMV at Columbia, Tennessee (Mule Capital of the World), the most lenient DMV in the South. Mexican border-jumpers actually ride hundreds of miles, illegally, packed into musty, mucky pick-up trucks, 15 apiece, just to go to this particular DMV, and I still flunked out!!!

My-Immortal

Mr. Invisible
Registered
Reaction score
Lantern Jack said:
19, and it took me five tries to get it, even though I was only required to drive around the block. That was in the DMV at Columbia, Tennessee (Mule Capital of the World), the most lenient DMV in the South. Mexican border-jumpers actually ride hundreds of miles, illegally, packed into musty, mucky pick-up trucks, 15 apiece, just to go to this particular DMV, and I still flunked out!!!

Are you trying to brag? :) Cause if you are, you really suck at it. LOL

Take it easy -

Lantern Jack

My kitten knows kung-fu!
Registered
Reaction score
My-Immortal said:
Are you trying to brag? :) Cause if you are, you really suck at it. LOL

Take it easy -

Fine, just for that, I won't tell you about my magical British drive down American highways. I made my dad scream like a girl:

Get out of the left lane, you jackass, before you kill us all!

Hee, hee.

Memories, memories.

My-Immortal

Mr. Invisible
Registered
Reaction score
Lantern Jack said:
Fine, just for that, I won't tell you about my magical British drive down American highways. I made my dad scream like a girl:

Get out of the left lane, you jackass, before you kill us all!

Hee, hee.

Memories, memories.

Oh wells. I'll find a way to somehow survive... :)

By the way - I hope you realize I was kidding around....

Take it easy...

Lantern Jack

My kitten knows kung-fu!
Registered
Reaction score
My-Immortal said:
Oh wells. I'll find a way to somehow survive... :)

By the way - I hope you realize I was kidding around....

Take it easy...

Yes, hence my equally-ironic and amusing (at least, in my warped mind) response.

I'm still laughing. I know it's not funny. We almost died. Still...

That's the fifth stop sign you ran, you jackass!

Dad, stop grabbing at the wheel! You're gonna make me crash!

We...are going...to die!

My-Immortal

Mr. Invisible
Registered
Reaction score
Ever get a 1979 Lincoln Continental Town Car airborn? That's pretty fun too. Landing it was fun (had enormous air shocks).

My dad was curious how fast it would go - we finished a mile in about 26 seconds (not starting at zero geez, it wasn't THAT fast). It seemed like it wanted to go faster, but my dad thought that was fast enough.

Of course, that was in the middle of no where in some unknown state and many, many years ago....

walking away quietly whistling... :)

Lantern Jack

My kitten knows kung-fu!
Registered
Reaction score
My-Immortal said:
Ever get a 1979 Lincoln Continental Town Car airborn? That's pretty fun too. Landing it was fun (had enormous air shocks).

My dad was curious how fast it would go - we finished a mile in about 26 seconds (not starting at zero geez, it wasn't THAT fast). It seemed like it wanted to go faster, but my dad thought that was fast enough.

Of course, that was in the middle of no where in some unknown state and many, many years ago....

walking away quietly whistling... :)

It's fun to make parents almost wet themselves. And cry like babies. I'm almost 26 and I still make my parents do that on a daily basis, although now they wait until they're in bed and I'm out of earshot (or so they think).

But just they wait!

I'll show them what 1 black sheep can do!

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
I was 17. It's sad, I know. My sister had to make me go because I had no desire.

I learned to drive and took my test...including parallel parking, in a blue 1972 Buick station wagon. When you learn to drive in West Virginia - arguably the worst roads in the nation - in a car THAT big, you can pretty much drive anywhere.

Does anyone have to parallel park to get their license anymore? My boys don't have to.

Oh, I forgot. When I moved to Florida I let my license expire (accidentally) and a friend had to take me down to get a new one. She drove a little BMW. It was a stick. The gears were backward, but she didn't tell me that. I figured it out when the lady cop got in the car with me and I had to sit there playing with the gear shift to find out which one was which. Lucky she didn't fail me.

Last edited:

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
First started driving? 14

Actually I "stole" my mother's car when I was 8. She'd drove to my grandmother's house and let me sit in the front seat for the first time. I imitated her as she drove the whole way. She thought it was "cute."

When she got to my grandmother's house (in the Bronx) she left me outside to wait in the car. I didn't think anything was wrong for me to take it for a spin so I shimmied over and drove it around the block.

She still tells the story to this day about how she came out of my Grandma's place only to discover that the car and her son were both gone and how she went into hysterics until she saw me turn the corner, pull up and wave for her to get in the passenger seat.

First got my license? 22

Didn't really have a need until then (though I did own a '78 Trans-Am and drove it frequently.) Living in NY, I didn't drive that much and after that I was in the Marines and didn't want to get my license until I got back to NY.

First lost my license? 23

It seems I have an addiction to speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.