PDA

View Full Version : Writer partner for Rise of the Dragonkin, a blog story (got an artist on board)

Michel Ba
01-29-2012, 04:24 PM
Qualifications for writer:

18+
Teamwork charisma
Motivated, engaged, devoted
Has a half year time to work on the book
Will share credits and amount of money to print the book if we send it to shops
Not write too little or too much. Only 2 pages you, then me 2 pages.
Boggle back and forward interesting ideas
Has skype or msn and is frequently online

Link to blog story: http://riseofthedragonkin.blogspot.com/

E-mail: dahkar[at]msn.com

Unimportant
01-30-2012, 12:46 AM
Will share credits and amount of money to print the book if we send it to shops
Michael, just to clarify: are you saying that if you decide to eventually self-publish the collected blog stories, the collaborator will have to share in the publishing costs?

Michel Ba
01-30-2012, 01:16 AM
Michael, just to clarify: are you saying that if you decide to eventually self-publish the collected blog stories, the collaborator will have to share in the publishing costs?

Only if he wants his share of profit. If not, I will do it myself and he will only get credit.

Unimportant
01-30-2012, 04:12 AM
In that case, I would strongly suggest making sure you have a written contract with the person, stating that they are giving you first electronic rights and first print rights (with the time periods, formats, and regions specified) for no recompense, with the acknowledgement that a subsequent contract between the two of you may be mutually agreed upon if he/she wishes to invest financially in publishing the work in future.

You'll probably also want to specify who has final say over the text as it appears in the blog (and subsequent publications) so that there are no surprises when one of you edits the other's text. It is possible that your colleague may wish to edit your text, given that English is not your first language, so that should be agreed-upon in writing before the venture begins.

(Editing to add: I'd also suggest that the contract should specify who owns derivative rights to the work.)