70's Trucker Culture

TedTheewen

AW's Most Adorable Sociopath
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tedscreepyvan.blogspot.com
Hi folks!

Okay, so I'm 40 years old and was just a kid when all these trucker movies came out. Convoy, Smokey and the Bandit, Breaker! Breaker!, the TV show Bj and the Bear. The list goes on and on.

I'm having a hard time understanding why American society was in love with trucking culture. Could somebody help me out with this one? I know trucker jokes, but I think forum decor rules say I'm not allowed to post them, so I'll behave.

Wicked

Outcast Rogue
Registered
Reaction score
I would guess because of the universal themes most of the movies had. They're just another sub-genre of outlaw movies.
Like Robin Hood, Spartacus, and James Dean.

Underdogs, rebels, and rogues, have always had their place in popular culture.

I know they've always been some of my favorites.

Like Tough Guys (of course they used a train, not a truck) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CEd1w04gl4

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'll post what is probably the most famous, and most tiresome, trucker joke of them all.

"Old truckers never die, don't you know . . . they just get a new Peterbilt."

Waitresses at truck stops have been known to threaten to throw truckers out if they tell that joke one more time.

Wicked

Outcast Rogue
Registered
Reaction score
:rolleyes:
I knew I should have continued to ignore this thread.

What do you call little foreign cars?

Speed bumps.
mockery-022.gif

Last edited:

Wicked

Outcast Rogue
Registered
Reaction score
My husband tells me my road rage increases in proportion to the size of vehicle I'm driving. Fortunately for the world at large I've never gotten past an F250 pickup.

My mother drove a truck for five years.

My uncle still drives a truck. One night he was going through Wyoming on these long stretches of nothing highways, and thought he'd hit something in the road. He'd gone about a mile before he saw the sparks in his rear view mirror, and realized there was a Camaro jammed into his rear axle. (The car drove into the back of the truck. The driver of the Camaro was drunk and speeding, and claims he never saw the truck until the back of the trailer hit his windshield) It's a miracle those idiots lived.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I used to have some teen friends who liked to get out on US 41-A on a motorcycle and draft behind 18-wheelers doing about 75 mph. One day the truck stopped. They didn't. Which is why I used the past tense.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What do you call little foreign cars?

Speed bumps.

You need to do it with more of a trucker's drawl.

"Say, now, do you what we call them little foreign cars, hon?"

Wicked

Outcast Rogue
Registered
Reaction score
I used to have some teen friends who liked to get out on US 41-A on a motorcycle and draft behind 18-wheelers doing about 75 mph. One day the truck stopped. They didn't. Which is why I used the past tense.

Damn.

It boggles my mind how little respect people have for vehicles the size of a semi. Morons who pull in front of trucks while going down a hill. Those trucks can't stop on a dime on a flat surface, there's no way in hell they can stop going down a hill.
We saw the aftermath of one such incident while driving through CO. Traffic was backed up, and some car cut in front of the truck on a steep grade. Truck rolled right over the top of them. Car looked like a smashed tin can.

Wicked

Outcast Rogue
Registered
Reaction score
You need to do it with more of a trucker's drawl.

"Say, now, do you what we call them little foreign cars, hon?"

I'm originally from South Dakota. We don't have "drawls". :tongue

TedTheewen

AW's Most Adorable Sociopath
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tedscreepyvan.blogspot.com
In my hometown, the high school was next to a road that saw a lot of semi traffic. The kids had a game--as the truck rolled by they would roll under the trailer between the rear tractor tires and the trailer's tires. Well, one girl didn't make it and got crushed. I think that ended the game, too.

Tedium

Le sigh.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In my hometown, the high school was next to a road that saw a lot of semi traffic. The kids had a game--as the truck rolled by they would roll under the trailer between the rear tractor tires and the trailer's tires. Well, one girl didn't make it and got crushed. I think that ended the game, too.

Like rolled down a hill? Or where they on skates? Either way, that is the dumbest most ridiculous game I have heard of. That is really sad and scary.

The things we do when we are bored.