My concept Cover Art, Thoughts?

rcoope23

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there, I've been messing around in photoshop, trying to come up with a good cover for my yet to be edited novel.
I'm thinking perhaps it is to dark? Any thoughts?
weoftheuniverse.jpg

PortableHal

Not-so-new
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marsneedswriters.com
Hi Rachel,

As a reader, if I don't know an author or their work, I need the cover to provide some idea about the story. This cover image doesn't tell me enough about your novel. Is it a romance, mystery, thriller, reflection on life? Written for adults, young adults, children?

rcoope23

Registered
Reaction score
That is a good point Portable. I too tend to pick books I might like by their cover. To answer your question it is a science fiction with fantasy elements and written for young adults. I'll see what I can do to come up with a design that conveys that better.

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
I'm wondering about the dimensions. I've seen square covers on Amazon before, but I believe Amazon likes a 1:6 ratio. Here's a link to Amazon's cover information: https://kdp.amazon.com/self-publishing/help?topicId=A2J0TRG6OPX0VM

I don't mind the darkness at all. I think the colored ball (Earth? Universe?) should be larger, though. Where will your name be placed? The hands feel a bit awkward. I don't know if it's the angle or shape or what. I'm also not sure what the big ball (Earth?) represents in the lower right corner.

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
The dimensions of the cover are way off, unfortunately.

And the image doesn't look complete. It looks like a sketch of a silhouette. Right now you have a lot of jagged edges. Try increasing your resolution while you sketch. And if you're going to add shading you need to increase the details. The thing on her back looks like a big blob to me... I'm not quite sure what this is supposed to be a picture of.

rcoope23

Registered
Reaction score
Thankyou for your opinions. it's only a concept as yet, so I realise there is a lot of work to be done. Will put a redsign up when I've done more work on it.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Based on this version I can't tell what it is a picture of. All I am getting is woman who looks a bit like she has a shell on her back and her arms melded together.

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
Thankyou for your opinions. it's only a concept as yet, so I realise there is a lot of work to be done. Will put a redsign up when I've done more work on it.

It would be wise to wait until you have a completed draft before posting an image for review, just like a writer should not post something for critique unless they've polished their work to the best of their ability.

While this could end up being a stunning cover in the end, we can't really tell what your intentions are when the vision is still in the rough, so to speak.

Feel free to send me a PM when you have something closer to finished posted and I'll be happy to give you advice on it.