Not open for further replies.

HistorySleuth

Researching History's Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
From Kindle's "In the Spotlight" (announcements):

...We are pleased to announce that KDP is ready to receive your Kindle Format 8 (KF8) books. Kindle Format 8 is Amazon’s next generation file format, offering a wide range of new features and enhancements – .... etc..

Kindle Fire is the first Kindle device to support KF8 - in the coming months KF8 will be rolled out to our latest generation Kindle e-ink devices as well as our free Kindle reading apps. The books that you have already published through Kindle Direct Publishing are available to readers using Kindle Fire and all other Kindle devices and applications. Unless there are KF8 features you want to take advantage of, you do not have edit your existing books or change the files in any way....
I'm just now trying to figure this stuff out to try it, so I'm reading everything. In reading the whole page it sounds like they improved it to make it easier to add graphics? So here is my real question:
In the blurb above, does that mean if you do do your book in Kindle Format 8, that the earlier kindles won't be able to read it? Only Kindle Fire will? Or are they adding apps for the other devices?

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
That's what I think it means. They may upgrade older Kindles and apps at some point, but from that notice, it doesn't imply that with any assurance.

HistorySleuth

Researching History's Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
So I wonder if you will be able to choose to use an earlier format version or not? It seems that would hurt revenue of authors if only people owning the new kindle fire (or other new gadgets that will be for format 8) could read the files. I hope they make some upgrade apps for this and isn't one of those things done to try and force people to buy new kindles.

areteus

Registered
Reaction score
I think publishers will probably offer both formats for at least a short while (because they know that not everyone will have a kindle fire and it may be a few years at least before the older kindles become obsolete... and this means they can still get revenue from them). I think self publishers will likely do the same. After all, I don't think it is that much more extra effort to produce an ebook in more than one format, especially if you are likely to get more sales as a result.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
The version only matters if you use interactive graphic, which the new version offers and the older versions do not...

If I am not mistaken, Amazon is just playing catch up with Ipad...

Status
Not open for further replies.