• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

I am Procrastinating...

Status
Not open for further replies.

randi.lee

Certified Non-Genius
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rlwrites.com
For the better part of two days I've been staring at my computer screen trying to complete chapter sixteen of my manuscript. Every time I try to type, I intentionally become distracted by something like blogs, forums, the pug, etc.

I have tried all of my typical "Writer's block" remedies: protein shake; long walk in the woods; hot shower; tasting something new; just keep typing, etc. I cannot seem to shake this momentary empty-head syndrome.

What do you do when you come up against the block? Any advice you can share on overcoming the time-sucking monitor stare down?

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
For the better part of two days I've been staring at my computer screen trying to complete chapter sixteen of my manuscript. Every time I try to type, I intentionally become distracted by something like blogs, forums, the pug, etc.

I have tried all of my typical "Writer's block" remedies: protein shake; long walk in the woods; hot shower; tasting something new; just keep typing, etc. I cannot seem to shake this momentary empty-head syndrome.

What do you do when you come up against the block? Any advice you can share on overcoming the time-sucking monitor stare down?

Just throwing these out to see if they catch for you.

Skip ahead? Try writing long hand? Change the font type/size so you're looking at something in a different format? Move to a different computer/location? Work on something else for a bit?

randi.lee

Certified Non-Genius
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rlwrites.com
Just throwing these out to see if they catch for you.

Skip ahead? Try writing long hand? Change the font type/size so you're looking at something in a different format? Move to a different computer/location? Work on something else for a bit?

Thanks, Bear. I didn't even think of trying long hand or changing the font/display settings. I'll give those a shot!

BigBooksNY

Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.booksandbuzz.com
I like the idea of skipping ahead or completely ditching it for a few weeks. I've done that and sort of "missed" writing and came back to finish it.

nitaworm

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Write threw it. I just write even though I know it will have to be fixed but put comment in section to revisit when a better scene comes to me.

Orchestra

practical experience, GTFO
Registered
Reaction score
Disconnect from the Internet. Set a kitchen timer for twenty-five minutes. Write as many words as you can in that time. Write quickly, without lifting your fingers from the keyboard and with the intent of coming back for edits at a later time. When the timer rings, take a five minute break (still without Internet). Repeat this three more times. Pat yourself on the back and take the rest of the day off.

This will work.

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
rising from the depths of a cup of coffee
I think I really should start disconnecting the internet when I write, because I just get distracted from writing. Someone's calling me, someone needs me to look something for them, I'm talking to someone on Yahoo!, I'm looking through three or four different forums, and on top of all of that, I'm trying to remember all of the homework that I have to do. I just need to get my iPod, some ear phones or a headset, and write.

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
Disconnect from the Internet. Set a kitchen timer for twenty-five minutes. Write as many words as you can in that time. Write quickly, without lifting your fingers from the keyboard and with the intent of coming back for edits at a later time. When the timer rings, take a five minute break (still without Internet). Repeat this three more times. Pat yourself on the back and take the rest of the day off.

This will work.

I love my Pomodoro!

bektamun

Registered
Reaction score
Website
vampiresrevealed.weebly.com
I fallback on my training as a journalist. If/when I get stuck I ask myself what is the most basic thing I'm trying/need to say here.

It could be something like:
MC faces a scary change
MC seeks helps
MC wins the day

I think you catch my drift. Just get down the main or overriding idea for what is supposed to be happening. At least you get your ideas down and can keep moving. Inevitably you will have rewrites anyway, so it makes no difference to use a few shortcuts to beat the block.

wyndmaker

Registered
Reaction score
Dont we all

Randi everyone is going to have things that they do to help them get through writers block. I for one NEVER have the internet on when writing, I prefer the keyoard over any other type of materials, and the internet is a big distraction. I will take a drive out in the desert and sit and scribble away for an hour or so. This gives me time to ponder the things in life that my characters are going through, and to get away from the five dogs that want to join me in the office.

You dont have to live in the desert to find a secluded spot, they are all over just bring a pad and pen and jot down all kinds of stuff that are going through your mind, I am sure that something will come out that will be more than useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.