Not open for further replies.

goldmund

---
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blazedzikowski.wordpress.com
Have you read it?

It's one of the most stimulating books on writing I've ever read. Never before have I stopped reading to cool it off or exclaim something, waving my fist in the air, or to close my eyes and think about how what he said applies to my books and ideas about the craft.

McKee has been rather unfairly portrayed as the King of Hacks in Kaufman's Adaptation; I don't think he's dismissive of art cinema or advocating simple thrills at all. He's quite passionate about the idea of story and why people need it.

The funny thing is, though, that his own writing is terrible. There are some points in the book where he provides examples or writes "the inner voice" of Chinatown's protagonists and it's quite ridiculous: lots of exclamation marks, pompous ellipses, psychological stereotypes.

This dichotomy is very striking in this book: powerful insights and awful prose.

Last edited:

Gilead

Registered
Reaction score
I think it's one of the most important and practical books of writing theory I've ever read, and even though the focus is screenwriting it helped me understand a lot about storytelling in general.

I was put off it for years because people kept saying it advocated 'formula', and I assumed it was one of those 'You Too Can Write A Novel In Only Five Easy Steps' sorts of books.

I agree that the examples of his own writing given aren't great, but then they aren't meant to be nuanced examples of literary craft -- the part where he fills in the unspoken thoughts in the Chinatown scene was meant to bluntly highlight what he was talking about regarding the 'gap' opening up and the scene turning and so on, rather than being a seamless extension of the original screenplay's style.

goldmund

---
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Well my response is mixed hardcore: I find it captivating and revolting at the same time.

As if he looked into some things which should remain hidden because you can spoil them by examination alone.

Also, it's a book which had me thinking "man, I gotta read it again -- and soon" by chapter 3...

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I think the worst thing a writer can do is follow advice from a writer who can't write. The advice may sound wonderful, but if it really works, why can't he use it?

And even if it does work, chances are good that what you write will be more like what the writer does, than any real improvement.

Theory is nice, but it can never stand alone. I believe the best theory also comes form those who write in a way you love.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
I think the worst thing a writer can do is follow advice from a writer who can't write. The advice may sound wonderful, but if it really works, why can't he use it?

And even if it does work, chances are good that what you write will be more like what the writer does, than any real improvement.

Theory is nice, but it can never stand alone. I believe the best theory also comes form those who write in a way you love.
But whether he can't write is arguable. Some people likely enjoy his writing.

Also, if the reader gets something valuable from the book--some new way to think about things, some new things to try--then they've benefited.

It doesn't really matter whether the writing coach himself can write; it only matters that his student improved in her or his own craft.

goldmund

---
Registered
Reaction score
Website
James, that's not the case.
"Story" is a book about dramatic structure of a narrative, "what makes story a story," not stylistics. Thus I can forgive McKee the adolescent emphases of his prose.
Is it beneficial to my writing or not, it's too early to say -- I haven't finished it yet -- but it sure is a captivating read and some wholesome food for thought.

Ctairo

Why Isn't IGNORE Available in RL?
Registered
Reaction score
When I began work at a studio in another life, a producer I came to know mentioned McKee's seminars because they were the gold standard. Curious, I signed up. He was amazing in person, and I can honestly say the impact of that seminar carried over not only in terms of how I approached script notes and coverage on the job, but also in terms of how I grew to understand and structure fiction.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
I found this book quite illuminating and it clarified aspects of my own writing for me.

It's unfair to blame McKee for the three-act formula that besets Hollywood - he gives plenty of examples of other structures, with four, five and even up to eight acts. And anyone whose writing hero is Ingmar Bergman is hardly the "King of Hacks".

goldmund

---
Registered
Reaction score
Website
It's just a disguise to hide his plebeian tastes ;-)
No, it is illuminating, and also infuriating. As if you've heard a brilliant speaker and knew something fishy was going on but you couldn't actually tell what, he's too clever.

One very simple and effective lesson I took from Story is to remember to think about the protagonist's aim&desire -- really solved lots of problems in my WIP.

Status
Not open for further replies.