Hubble Gallery Copyright

nkkingston

Bemused Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.solelyfictional.org
So I'm thinking of doing a series of sci fi short stories, and I have a bit of a thing for the Hubble Gallery (just as somewhere to procrastinate!), so I thought I'd check out their copyright terms.

Material credited to STScI on this site was created, authored, and/or prepared for NASA under Contract NAS5-26555. Unless otherwise specifically stated, no claim to copyright is being asserted by STScI and it may be freely used as in the public domain in accordance with NASA's contract. However, it is requested that in any subsequent use of this work NASA and STScI be given appropriate acknowledgement. STScI further requests voluntary reporting of all use, derivative creation, and other alteration of this work. Such reporting should be sent to [email protected].
This site also contains material generated, authored and/or prepared by individuals or institutions other than STScI, and those individuals or institutions may claim copyright. Should you desire use of such material at this time, inquiries should be made to those individuals and institutions in accordance with the following:
A catalogue of HST publicly released images on this site may be found at the following location: http://hubblesite.org/newscenter/. If the credit line for an image lists STScI as the source, the image may be freely used as in the public domain as noted above. However, for credit lines listing individuals from other institutions, you will need to contact that institution listed in the credit line to advise you on the copyright policy for that image. If the individual listed in the credit line is a member of the American Astronomical Society you can obtain their contact information from (https://members.aas.org/directory/directory.cfm).

Individuals and institutions other than AURA/STScI and grantees of STScI whose work was funded by NASA are requested to state at the time they contribute materials for distribution on STScI websites whether they wish to claim any copyright restrictions. If they do not do so it will be assumed that no copyright restriction is claimed. Of course, such individuals and institutions will be given appropriate credit for their contributions. If they do claim copyright restrictions, an appropriate notice will be added to that particular material, and users who wish to down-load that material and distribute it further will have to obtain permission from the source of that material.

I don't know if I'm reading with my rose tinted glasses on or not, but the frequent use of the phrase 'public domain' is making me think I can use the images even for something I'm planning (hoping) to profit off. Thought I'd run it by you guys and see if you agree.

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
You are correct. Almost everything put out by NASA is public domain. The gov's public dollar pays for NASA, therefore their media is public domain (unless otherwise stated). That's true for most government funded institutions including photographs taken by state park employees while on the job.

Deleted member 42

Yes, you can use it, in my non-lawyerly opinion.

A credit and link would be appropriate and courteous.

Last edited by a moderator: