Critique my cover! Harsh crits welcome!

Alison_Kale

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, y'all. I cracked these out over the past couple of weeks. Please give me your harshest crits - I have thick skin. You can click on the covers to enlarge.

http://alisonkale.com/books/

Main questions: Is the font an acceptable color? Too bright? Doesn't work with the other colors?

Should I make the text larger?

What do you think of the fonts? Acceptable?

Would you read the back cover?

AND: What kind of book do you think this represent? JUDGE THE BOOK BY THE COVER! Merci!

God, this cover design stuff is hard.

Thanks in advance!

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
The composition is basically good but I think it needs to be punched up with a fatter, bolder font and more color/contrast

SBibb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sbibb.wordpress.com
I agree that the composition seems to be good, but the text could be punchier. Play with different fonts to see what fits your story style (Romance tends to be flowery, for example), play with positioning and size of the fonts. Check out Font Squirrel, a web site that offers free fonts, many for commercial use. And read up on different sites about fonts. Or find a book at a library.

Wasn't one of my strong points in design for a while, but definitaly makes a difference.

I'd think the first was a contemporary romance, the second contemporary teen. Overall, not bad. :)

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
You have a pink font on a fuschia pink background. Then your model is wearing a pair of red shoes and her skin tone is of a pink, blue blend. The effect is very monotone and the contrasts are weak.

Try increasing the exposure on the picture of the model to flush her skin out and make her paler, and play with different colors for the background and font. Why not change the background to a less gray looking pink and the font to green? Also adding a shadow for your model could make things look a little more interesting.

When I look at this cover as it is... I think immediately that it belongs in the relationship/sex section of the book store. Then when I read the title, I'm not sure. Maybe women's fic?

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
On the cover for Crazy Beautiful, I couldn't tell at first that it was her foot in the immediate background. But that might be more obvious in print than on the screen.

:)

Alison_Kale

Registered
Reaction score
Veinglory and SBibb - thanks for the font comments. Will definitely check out Font Squirrel.

Gale - Solid points, thanks! Maybe I'll see if I can turn the shoes black, along with turning the model paler. I like your ideas on shifting the colors, too, and I'll definitely play with those.

Cella - Yeah, that foot's kind of weird. I might just Photoshop it away.

I appreciate this a lot, guys! Covers aren't my forte, but I'm trying to make something clean and decent looking.