PDA

View Full Version : Help! My wife just read Gods of the Sea!

areteus
01-27-2012, 04:01 AM
Ok, it's taken her a while (mainly because she did not have a copy, mostly because I was planning to give her one as a present for Christmas...) but my wife has finally read my short story, Gods of the Sea... I've been panicking about her potential reaction ever since I knew it was being released (and no, I don't let her read unfinished or unpublished works for various complicated reasons) because I know how much of a stickler she is for detail and grammar and stuff and was expecting a long list of 'things that were wrong'.

The fact that one of the characters is one she created (and which I used with permission) only adds to this concern. I think it is always hard to see someone interpret something you have created...

Instead, she surprised me by walking into the living room, book in hand and simply said 'she never wore her hair in a bun, she always wore it tied loosely back or plaited'.

That's it. Currently I am not sure if I got off lightly (the essays she proofread for me were often full of corrections and sarcastic comments but I have been getting my own back for this with her essays recently...) or if she is simply saying nothing because she doesn't want to hurt my feelings...

Still, I will be sure to check that the hairstyle is right the next time I write a character :)

Silver King
01-27-2012, 05:51 AM
...she surprised me by walking into the living room, book in hand and simply said 'she never wore her hair in a bun, she always wore it tied loosely back or plaited'.
I think her statements reflect that she loves the story, and perhaps has strong feelings for the writer as well.

If I were you, that's what I'd believe, without ever prodding her for more information. ;)

areteus
01-27-2012, 01:06 PM
Oh, I was not planning to prod any more :) Actually got more comments this morning which were more descriptive but largely positive...

areteus
01-31-2012, 01:25 AM
Hmmm... apparently 'some' of thej other stories she didn't like... but that's not my problem :)