PDA

View Full Version : YA Paranormal Cover: New Cover at Post #7

SBibb
01-27-2012, 12:25 AM
See Post #7 for new cover. :-)

I'm currently creating a cover for one of the members here on Absolute Write, as part of creating examples for my illustrative work. I want to make it the best possible in order to garner reader interest, and so I thought I'd see what you guys thought of it before I do the final details on it.

http://sbibbphoto.com/clients/cover%20sketch9.jpg

It's YA paranormal.

Thanks for the feedback. :-)

Gale Haut
01-27-2012, 02:11 AM
My honest assessment:

This cover shows promise, but there are a few things that irk me about it.

Negatives
1. The eyes in the center, I've seen done in this way so many times and I doubt its effectiveness.
2. The proportions of the animal's body are anatomically awkward. At first look the animal seems to be looking away only because the artist didn't want to attempt drawing the face.
......(2-1) By the way, if this is a werewolf story, the wolf looks like a very small and meek creature in this setting. I think has something to do with the size and type of tree dwarfing the dimensions on your painting.
3. The color blends, like how the animal's fur contrasts with the wood and grass, looks unnatural. The animal needs to blend better with the colors in its surroundings. Try adding more brown to the fur, especially near the feet or tree trunks, and also work on your shading. The lighting focal point is very off.
4. The over all effect comes off as middle grade novel rather than a YA.

Pros
1. I like the brambly setting and the fog. Very good mood indicators.
2. The blood red moon in the background looks good. I'm assuming this is a werewolf story as a result. If it's not then take this as a con.
3. I kind of like the font--not sure about the colors. I'd like to see more of that grungy look in the overall design. Another way to enhance the tone.

Cyia
01-27-2012, 03:24 AM
The moon and the trees work, but I'd scrap the rest.

1 - I never would have thought this was YA. It looks MG because the wolf is cartoonish (likely due to the proportion issues mentioned above), and it doesn't mesh well with the background because (aside from the coloring issues) it looks drawn where the rest doesn't.

2 - The font style and cover both scream amateur.

For a well done "watching wolf" cover, check out the UK cover for Hemlock (Deadly Hemlock over there). http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-44c4SYRCFzE/Txu8giZsGrI/AAAAAAAAAzA/qXLQVsqUwjU/s1600/DeadlyHemlockCoverReveal.jpg

See how the wolf face in the tree is more subtle? That's the kind of tone you want if you've got someone being stalked.

merrihiatt
01-27-2012, 05:03 AM
Cyia, I totally get what you mean now that I looked at the link you posted. Sounds like great constructive comments by Cyia and Gale.

Personally, I liked the font of the title, but am not sure about the color of the font. I also liked the trees/background.

SBibb
01-27-2012, 05:55 AM
Hmm, thanks for commenting.

You guys have some good points, and I'll be seeing how I can work this out (I'll be away from my main computer for the weekend, so feel free to keep posting thoughts and critiques on it, since I'll be taking them into consideration.)

I was worried about the eyes, and you brought up some good points about the creature (which was supposed to be a cat, by the way). I think my being accustomed to drawing wolves may have played into the illustration. And I was wondering if it appeared to be MG instead of YA, but I wasn't sure if that was just my perception or if others would see it, too.

Thanks for pointing out what is working, so I know what to work from. :-)

KateHawkings
01-28-2012, 04:54 PM
To be honest, this doesn't strike me as YA and I probably wouldn't pick it off a shelf.

In my opinion young adult is highly character driven. A lot of the time they're written in the first person, dealing with personal trials and issues. I guess that may be why I like to see an actual person on the cover. I don't mind how big or small the person is, but I still like seeing them there and have my eyes drawn to them. Looking through the YA novels released this year, most of them seem to feature people on the covers too.

SBibb
02-07-2012, 01:12 AM
This time I took a completely different approach to it. Not sure about the text, though, but what do you think? :-)

(As a side note, no, it's not a werewolf novel, since I know there were questions about that earlier).

http://sbibbphoto.com/clients/cover%20sketch15.jpg

merrihiatt
02-07-2012, 07:20 AM
Love the imagery! The title is a bit hard to read as the white blends in with the smokiness. I'm really drawn to the center and then I noticed the eyes. Well done!!!

Gale Haut
02-07-2012, 07:53 AM
This is a huge improvement over the last cover. Nice work! But you might hate me for saying that I still don't like the eye effect. It's probably just me though, and the eyes do look better in this version.