Heroine for a seven-year-old girl's costume?

Torill

Not as trollish as you might think
Registered
Reaction score
I had so much help in my Liverfools and Dippers thread, so thought I'd turn to this great place again with a different problem.

In a scene in my WIP, children dress up for a costume parade. They are supposed to come as their favourite hero/ine. This particular seven-year-old girl is a bit precocious and reads a lot already, also books meant for children older than 7. She's a bit bossy and prissy, but also caring and conscientious. She is not a tomboy, but neither is she someone who would want to dress up as a princess or an angel.

I thought she might choose a character from a favourite children's book of hers. Since I write this in English, I thought it better be from an English children's book, in the age range from 7/8 and up, and probably a girl character. But I'm not all that familiar with English children's literature. Does anyone have any such heroine to suggest, preferrably from a book or a series that would be reasonably well known in the English-speaking world?

sickmuse

Don't blink. Don't even blink.
Registered
Reaction score
A few (mostly book) heroines your average 7yo advanced reader might be familiar with:

Nancy Drew
Anne of Green Gables
Any female character from Harry Potter
Buttercup from the Princess Bride
Laura Ingalls from Little House on the Prairie
Pippi Longstocking
Lara Croft

There are a few others they might know, but I tried to pick ones that could be realistically figured out in a parade. :)

Torill

Not as trollish as you might think
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you everyone!
Yeah, Hermione would be many seven-year-old girls' choice, in my country, too - but for several reasons I don't want her dressed up as a witch.

Roald Dahl's Matilda sounds good - I can definitely see my seven-year-old loving that book. Kind of hard to dress to look like that, perhaps ... but if I go by the movie and have her carrying a book ... yep, could work! Thanks!!

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
A few (mostly book) heroines your average 7yo advanced reader might be familiar with:

Nancy Drew
Anne of Green Gables
Any female character from Harry Potter
Buttercup from the Princess Bride
Laura Ingalls from Little House on the Prairie
Pippi Longstocking
Lara Croft

With the exception of Harry Potter none of these are particularly 'english' characters - and you would be hard pushed to pick an average 7 year old in England who knew who Pippi Longstocking or Laura Ingalls were, Anne of Green Gables you might have more luck with, but only if they were doing it in school.

There are the old favourites too, such as Alice or Dorothy - although if she's precocious enough she might well want to go as the Witch.

This reminds me a little of that bit in Jersey Girl where the kid does Sweeny Todd for the talent show when all the other Kids are doing Cats.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Fern, from Charlotte's Web (my daughter did this last year - cotton dress, stuffed pig under one arm, Halloween plastic spider on its head - et voila)

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
Fern, from Charlotte's Web (my daughter did this last year - cotton dress, stuffed pig under one arm, Halloween plastic spider on its head - et voila)

My god that is so cute!

When my daughters school has a 'come as a character' day for world book day last year there were dozens of princesses, but my daughter went as Dragon from Shrek. Some of the other kids were brilliant, there were two five year old Stormtroopers and a Spok as well.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
One of the Star Wars girls?

I always liked being Joan of Arc in battle gear. Would that be silly in the UK? It was about the battle gear (chainmail!), not the religious part :D

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Amelia Earhart. She's not fictional, but there are lots of kids' books about her. A shearling jacket, an aviator's cap and goggles, and a toy plane under the arm.

(My daughter, who has wavy gold hair she could sit on at one time, was never into princesses, although she was Granny Weatherwax one year. She was a great Hermione once. But she was an even better Harry Potter another year, with all her hair rolled up under a short, scruffy black wig. No one knew it was her.)

sk3erkrou

Registered
Reaction score
I think the best way to go would be to create a character that exists only in your story. That way, you can tailor the character to be exactly the kind of person your 7 year old character would idolize.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
Dorothy is still a very popular costume in this NYC suburb. Some of the XMEN women and, yes, even Wonder Woman might still work. Alice in Wonderland is still popular too, but I haven't seen a costume. I do think sk3erkrou has a good idea though. I also suggest a classic character over something newer so you don't have something that feels dated by the time it pubs.

You may want to search Google for costumes size six through eight and see what's out there.