splitting from my agent, a few questions

oaktree

Registered
Reaction score
I am fairly sure I am about to split with my current agent, and I'm hoping for a few words of advice. First, do I need to send my agent a letter through the mail, or is an e-mail "official" enough?

Also, when I start querying again, do I need to mention that I recently split from my previous agent? The project I'm planning to send out is a new one, not one that my current agent has seen or shopped (though I'd be very happy if the hypothetical new agent would be willing to have a go with that project as well).

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Check your contract. You probably have to send the letter via registered mail, although if you are parting amicably then the agent might be fine with an e-mail.

You don't need to mention you were agented before, but you do need to check your contract, because there's probably a clause in there about how long you have to wait after your current representation ends before you can have new representation.

If an MS has been shopped around the new agent might try it with publishers who haven't seen it yet, but don't count on it. Depends a lot on how much it's been around.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
It all depends on your contract. Sometimes you send a letter, sometimes an e-mail, and sometimes you phone. I think a phone call is the best way, even if you have to follow it up with a letter to satisfy your contract.

The only time you need to mention an old agent to a new one concerns any projects the old agent handled. The new agent needs to know where and when an old project was submitted so she doesn't look like an idiot by sending it to an editor who has already rejected it.

oaktree

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, I checked my contract, and it specificies 30 days written notice, which I assume means I have to wait a month before I start querying again. As to whether "written" means an actual paper letter, I'm not sure, but I suppose I could send her an email and if she says she needs a real letter to close out the file, I could do that as well.

The Otter

Friendly Neighborhood Mustelid
Registered
Reaction score
In the room next to the noisy ice machine, for all
When I split with my agent we just did it through e-mail. If you both agree that it's not working out then it probably doesn't need to be more official than that. I can't recall offhand what my contract said, but I think it stated that either one of us could end it at any time if we chose. There might have been a notification period mentioned, or something like that.

If the book you're sending out now is a new one, then no, you don't need to mention anything about a previous agent.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, I checked my contract, and it specificies 30 days written notice, which I assume means I have to wait a month before I start querying again. As to whether "written" means an actual paper letter, I'm not sure, but I suppose I could send her an email and if she says she needs a real letter to close out the file, I could do that as well.

If it just says written, then e-mail should be fine. If you haven't sold anything and aren't likely to sell with that agent they could waive the 30 day clause, but that depends on your relationship.

Yes you should wait the 30 days if you don't get it waived.

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
I sent an initial email that was less formal and then a more formal "just the facts" letter in case she needed it for paperwork reasons. And even though she waived the 30-day clause, I still waited, but in part that was because I was going to try querying the novel she'd shopped, and I didn't yet have a query letter written for it.

In those query letters I mentioned previous representation, but with this new project I didn't, since it was an unshopped manuscript.

oaktree

Registered
Reaction score
Deadly, how did it go querying a project that had already been shopped? That's a big part of the situation I'm in now... she shopped my current project, but not widely. And now she wants to send it to e-book publishers, although we've nowhere near exhausted or options for print books. If I had my druthers, I'd be querying for this book, to find someone willing to send it out more widely to traditional publishers. I hate to think that this book is "dead" because it was sent to ten editors.

oaktree

Registered
Reaction score
If I'd known, I'd have cooled my jets and worked out the first book's exit strategy with him before I started querying.

Just to clarify, what would you have done differently? I have two outstanding subs on the book I'd like to requery, and neither of those editors responded to the submission with an acknowledgement (these subs were made in September). I think you're suggesting that I ask my agent to pull those two subs when I tell her I'm splitting... is that what you're recommending?

F.E.

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Deadly, how did it go querying a project that had already been shopped? That's a big part of the situation I'm in now... she shopped my current project, but not widely. And now she wants to send it to e-book publishers, although we've nowhere near exhausted or options for print books. If I had my druthers, I'd be querying for this book, to find someone willing to send it out more widely to traditional publishers. I hate to think that this book is "dead" because it was sent to ten editors.
Hope you don't mind me asking, :)
. . . but is that becoming part of the "new" normal practice, for an agent to shop a novel manuscript to e-publishers?

Last edited: