want to know METHAMPHETAMINE specifics

Jason58A

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone out there who has used or been around heavy meth use? I would love to know the following:

1) What is the absolute maximum amount of time someone can stay up using methamphetamine? Wikipedia says 2 weeks, but I have heard rumors that longer may be possible.

2) What does the combination of intense sleep deprivation/meth use feel like in the later stages?

If you have experience, or know of good resources, I would be very appreciative. Thanks!

Snick

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
1) What is the absolute maximum amount of time someone can stay up using methamphetamine? Wikipedia says 2 weeks, but I have heard rumors that longer may be possible.

I have seen various numbers, but I have never known anyone who stayed awake for more than a few days. After a certain point people start having micro-naps; they fall asleep for a few seconds to a few minutes. People will often deny having been asleep during those periods. I suspect that there is someone who has stayed awake for a couple of months, but I haven't looked into it.

2) What does the combination of intense sleep deprivation/meth use feel like in the later stages?
I think that you can imagine that.

The experience of staying awake, with or without drugs, varies from person to person, as does the length of time that one can stay awake. Different people react to drugs differently, depending on body chemistry and experience. If you are trying to write about a speed freak, then you should meet some, face-to-face, and talk with them. They probably will tell you more than you want to know.

Last edited:

DoomBunny

Meatbag
Registered
Reaction score
They probably will tell you more than you want to know.

I concur. Take an audio recorder of some sort. You don't want to be taking notes by hand. Maybe a rehab centre or halfway house could set you up with some interviews?

Not much to add, except that if you were on any kind of amphetamine bender of that length you'd be in pretty rough physical shape. Even if you were taking the time to eat properly and maintain hygiene you'd still be breaking out in sores, depending on what your speed is cut with. As for what you'd feel like, I'm imagining somewhere between a severe flu and a psychotic break on fast forward.

C.H. Valentino

Wording!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chvalentino.com
Anyone out there who has used or been around heavy meth use? I would love to know the following:

If you have experience, or know of good resources, I would be very appreciative. Thanks!

In law enforcement, I've seen this run a range of weeks without rest - with periods of what someone else called "micro-napping". That's basically correct. I suggest a documentary on Netflix called "American Meth", which at the end is heart-breaking but very common as it follows a family that uses. Also, you can Google "interview with a meth addict" and come back with 100's of videos.

As far as what it feels like, I have no first hand knowledge, but I am sure there are tons of videos where people in recovery have spoken about this at length. Paranoia is the thing we commonly see. Also, I've run across enough drug-induced schizophrenic behavior to last a life time.