Side effects from the Western Short Contest...someone shoulda warned me!

Literateparakeet

Nerdy Budgie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lesliesillusions.blogspot.com
Ok, that darn Western Writing contest here on the site accomplished it's mission, as least for this writer!

I love historical fiction, generally. So the first thing I did for the contest was start reading some history about the times/places/people. I had a great time and quickly got a story idea. Now my story is done (well, there will be a little more polish, but for all intents and purposes, it's done.)

Here's the trouble. I want to write more about this time/character that I started in my story. I keep reading more and more and want to write stories or a novel about it. A friend from here on AW, and another friend liked my story. My husband says it's "not western enough".

Suppose I wrote a novel about this character, I'm concerned that the fans of Westerns would shun it for being "not western enough", and the other genres possiblities being: historical fiction, literary, or women's will shun it because it's "western".

Maybe I am overthinking it too much. I think I will have my answer when I see how my story fares in the contest. But the deadline is eons away.

Any thoughts, or anyone else finding they like this genre and wondering what to do now???

Koobie

Super Duper Member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tyrovogel.com
I think you should just concentrate on writing the story you want to write and then you can think about what other people think later. :) Peace & love!

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
First of all, great to hear the Western Contest has got you enthused and writing, LP. Second of all, that's a tough question. :)

My initial response would be -- for the Western Contest you are going to be fine. Beyond that, here's some things to think about.

* If you are writing something that feels good, is coming along well, and you are excited about -- my advice would be DON'T STOP! The process will be helpful, the fun will be excellent and, I think, when one is into a piece, it is invariably better than when one is just slogging away.

* If you're writing women's/literary/western then you are in good company -- look at the brilliant novels and short stories of Annie Proulx. If you are adding historical into the mix, check out Willa Cather. Both of these authors work/[ed] in the Western and Western Frontier genres but cross over into the other genres you mention and could, by a casual reader, be seen as not western at all. So there is a historical president for what you are proposing.

* Obviously you don't want to give too much away about you current story as the Contest entries will be anonymous -- but you might want to have a look at the threads below to see where your work might fit in the Markets. The first is an overall Western Market Thread; the second is a great link for genres markets where you can mix and match sub-genres, too.

Markets For Westerns

Duotrope

* You may find what you are writing doesn't conform to any of the markets in those links. However, don't despair! A genre doesn't exist until someone writes something that creates it. Or, you may find your longer work sneaks more into Womens (with a western setting) or Historical (with a western setting). If this happens, you submit to the market most suitable.

* Most importantly for me, and linking back to my first point, is that when one is stoked about something, the writing is often better, the confidence higher and the commitment to succeed increased. With this in mind, if you are writing your socks of and produce one helluva story it is likely you'll get your foot in the door no matter what the genre is.

For example -- Gay Cowboys? That'll never work.

Oh, Really? Look at my awards!

I hope that helps some. The Western Contest is about getting people to have fun and to write. It's about getting people to give the Western Genre a go (in however small way) and ultimately is about mixing and matching genres and freeing a writer to write things they never might have imagined before. :)

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi LP - I had the same thing happen - but it was from a prompt for the monthly challenges we used to have in historical. Everyone loved the story and character - and he became a full length novel (which I periodically send a query or two out on).

Over the years I've written western short stories and this novel. My opinion - western is a very hard sell. I'm not saying someone should have snapped up my stuff, but realistically, looking at the number of agents who'll even look at western, the lack of markets for short stories (western mags want non-fiction only), etc. my feeling is that you're better off going for historical. And there's no reason an historical can't be set in the American West and can't have some of the elements of a western.

I'd say write your story and write it the way you want to write it - but understand you may have to beef it up towards historical or women's or family saga to have much chance with it. Of course, we're all hoping someone will come up with a killer western and get interest going in the genre again. Puma

PorterStarrByrd

nutruring tomorrows criminals today
Registered
Reaction score
Jus keep writin .. if it's any good it'll fit in somehwere 1% of the population is somewhere around 3,000,000. How big a slice do you need to please? :)

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Ya got to please the flippin' agents.

There's so much stuff I see here on AW that I think would have readers if it could ever get past the agents / publishers roadblock.

And, of course, the roadblock is why so many people are going the self-published and e-book route. Puma

Literateparakeet

Nerdy Budgie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Koobie and Harry, your advice to write what I love really resonated with me. If I don't write the story that is on my mind, how will I be able to give the right treatment to anything else?

Harry, I checked out Annie Proulx and Willa Cather on amazon, and have a couple books on there way to me.

I dind't realize the contest entries will be anonymous, but don't worry, I got the message in time. :) I think it is a great idea.

Excellent point about Brokeback Mountain. Who would have guessed that it would not only be successfull, but SO successfull!

Puma, I love that your novel started from a prompt too! Good luck, I hope it finds a home soon. I think your advice sounds great, and I think I can give it the historical or women's twist that you suggested.

About the agents...I agree that is a daunting challenge. I'm thinking that I'm going to take the great advice from you all, write the best book I can about what I love, and if the agent don't want it, then I'll put it on my blog, 1000 words at a time. It will be read by someone, dog-gone-it!

Porter, You remind me that if I write something good enough, people will want to read it! Thanks.

You guys are great, I should post your advice on my computer to remind me when I doubt myself. Now...off for some quality time with my characters. ;)

KatieJ

I think I'm back....
Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad you posted this. I agree completely. I had to finish the contest entry and get it sent to Harry, just so that I could focus on the book I'm writing. Alas, out of sight is not out of mind, because I woke up with a series of novellas in mind that Harry's blinking contest put there!!!

A completely different genre, a completely different length, "who'd a thunk it" as my grandma used to say. Well, obviously Harry did. :D

Literateparakeet

Nerdy Budgie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Katie, LOL, I'm glad I am not alone. It's not just misery that loves company.

Good idea sending it to Harry now, so you can think about something else. I should do that same so I stop tinkering with it...or not, LOL!

Good luck on the contest and all your new pieces.

bkendall

Registered
Reaction score
Harry tends to have that über-optimistic overflow effect on people. I am, for one, pleasantly surprised to see so many newcomers to this forum.

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That sounds like some kind of cool super power. I want that one! ;)

BK has the up-up and away powers. All I got is smileys -- though I am working on the hot air and billowing cape method. :)

I find it majorly-mega that even one person has got going with some ideas for this contest and beyond, so to have two is double that due to maths.

Here's hoping the comp gets you going in all genres and, more importantly, writing stuff with a view to send it on out into the world. :)

Literateparakeet

Nerdy Budgie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Just had to follow up and say the Duotroupe is a wonder! Thanks for that link.

About Willa Cather and Annie Proulx...

Once we read My Antonia for a book club. Not my cup of tea. Sigh...

But, Annie Proulx! I just started reading her short stories after your suggestion and I am in awe! She is amazing!

After I recovered from my "I'm not worthy!" trance that her writing sent me into, and gave myself my pet lecture, "Writing is more than being published. I write for the love of it, for the challenge to improve myself, for the therapy. Just as people can play golf or chess, and enjoy them without ever becoming a pro or master, so I can enjoy writing. And if I work at it hard enough, perhaps being published is still an option."

So yeah, intimdatingly wonderful writing! Thanks so much for pointing me her way.

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My pleasure on the Proulx front, LP. :)

I agree about her writing -- intimidatingly wonderful is an apt description. She's so good it kinda makes you feel bad. But, then again, when you're reading the real good stuff I think it raises your own writing, too.

Glad you liked it. :)