Is this forum dead? If not...

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Well, do you have a special interest area you are real sharp in? Some type of hobby or interest that on your own you have lots of knowledge?

I would then go to a book store/magazine place and see what publications are out there in said topic. Check online for their web site and see what they might require for publication.

If there are areas that you know little about, do the same as above and then do your research into that topic.

(You can tell I don't do this stuff and it is only my two cents worth.) :D

There are some places that request short projects that they pay a small amount for and then they sell to online sites that use them.

I'm sure someone will be by and give you much better information. Best wishes.

thekingsguard

Soldier, Scholar, Writer, WebVoyeur
Registered
Reaction score
Website
korsgaardscommentary.blogspot.com
Well, do you have a special interest area you are real sharp in? Some type of hobby or interest that on your own you have lots of knowledge?

I would then go to a book store/magazine place and see what publications are out there in said topic. Check online for their web site and see what they might require for publication.

If there are areas that you know little about, do the same as above and then do your research into that topic.

(You can tell I don't do this stuff and it is only my two cents worth.) :D

There are some places that request short projects that they pay a small amount for and then they sell to online sites that use them.

I'm sure someone will be by and give you much better information. Best wishes.

I'm pretty good with history and geography. Food and pop culture too. Options?

Bushrat

reaching for the sun
Registered
Reaction score
Your best bet is to go and look at the actual magazines yourself, as suggested :) Since they are all slightly different in tone and topics, you'll have to sift through them to find out which ones might be a good match for what you have to offer.

thekingsguard

Soldier, Scholar, Writer, WebVoyeur
Registered
Reaction score
Website
korsgaardscommentary.blogspot.com
Your best bet is to go and look at the actual magazines yourself, as suggested :) Since they are all slightly different in tone and topics, you'll have to sift through them to find out which ones might be a good match for what you have to offer.

I've found two or three I'd like to take a swing at... now what?

Melina

Getting better all the time
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.atozwordsmith.com
I keep returning to this forum to see if anyone has posted anything new.

I'm curious to hear about how other writers find the trade mag market lately.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm curious to hear about how other writers find the trade mag market lately.

Last few years, rather poor. Trades are usually paid by ads, the economy has cut the number and size of ads and the content is usually press releases now.

I used to approach trade magazines with an angle of a new technique or facility opening that I knew about and do an interview piece with the subject. In the 1980's it wasn't a bad way to earn a little money. In the 1990's tech trade mags exploded and you could sell anything. Then the professional journalists got in and the writing quality went up, magazines folded or got absorbed and the freelance market got smaller.

But there's still a market if you have an area of expertise and the right contacts.

Jeff