E-Publishing with Two Page spreads?

SBibb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sbibb.wordpress.com
For a capstone project at my college, I'm creating a set of 10-12 short stories that each have individual covers to accompany. The intent is to create a "portfolio" that showcases my ability to illustrate as well as to write.

It crossed my mind today that I could publish the short stories individually through Kindle, or try to put together an ebook collection to accompany the printed portfolio.

My question is-- is it possible to do two page spreads using Kindle? The original intent was to have a cover on one page, and the short story (each is 1000 words, as per the book title), on the other. I've also considered including a couple covers per story, to demonstrate different styles.

I've only recently begun to explore the option of e-publishing, so I'm not sure what to think of it yet.

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
I use the Kindle app on my iPad and one of the features is to turn the iPad to the landscape view and it shows two pages as they would appear if you turned the page of a book. If you put instructions at the beginning of your document to view it in the landscape mode, it could work. That doesn't mean everyone would actually do that. It would also need to be formatted with a page break after the artwork, so when it was viewed, the artwork would be on the left and the text would be on the right. If someone viewed it in portrait mode, the artwork would be on one page with the text following on the next page.

Side note: There may be an issue when people view it with a different font size.

Kindle does have something new called Kindle8 (I think that's the name of it). It's supposed to allow for tables, columns and more advanced formatting. I have not tried it, as I don't have anything of that nature in my books.

J. Tanner

Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorjtanner.wordpress.com
There are no "pages" so a fixed two page spread is going to be tough to pull off.

1000 words on a page isn't going to work either. At the default size a 7" kindle screen only has 100-200 words. What about phones?

Some kids picture books are done with just a series of full screen images that are resized to the full size of the particular device on the fly. You'd never get 1000 words on there or anything close. But that's probably as close as you could get.

ebooks aren't a particularly impressive showcase for a portfolio (IMHO.) I think you'd impress more with paper, and then photos of the pages to show them in digital format.

Al Stevens

Registered
Reaction score
You might try publishing it as a pdf to maintain page integrity. Kindle and iPad can display them. But you might not be happy with the small Kindle's rendering. It will take some experimenting.

SBibb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sbibb.wordpress.com
Makes sense. I'm thinking that if I was to do this, I would be best off making the printed portfolio one way, then using entirely different formatting for the ebook version (which wouldn't be so much a portfolio, but more of an experiment for online publishing.).

Thanks. I wasn't really sure about the formatting process. :)

writerinthewoods

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know about how to format it but you could run into problems with your file size by using too many pictures in your work. I do wildflower books and have to cut the photo sizes down a bit further than I would like to stay under the 5 mb limit.