I bought some dye

Stlight

ideas are floating where they will
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
where you can put sugar sprinkles on lots of thing
and was thiking of using it on 100% cotton already made up article of clothing. The dye is Rit, which I always thought had a Z in it but doesn't seem to.I telling you this in case there are any among you who might have words of advice, something not mentioned on the package, something that isn't quite as the package says, for me.

Feel free to say do not do this, seriously, do not do this.

Thanks.

ETA to try to put paragraphs in that would stay when posted. If this is all one clump, know that I tried.

Last edited:

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Use some kind of disposable container. Do not do this in your washing machine. When my brother would dye jute for macrame he would put a large trash bag (the kind for leaves) in a 40 gallon galvanized garbage can. When he was done he would just pour the liquid out in the yard, and then throw away the bag.

MM

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
One word: Laundromat.

*and I'll deny it ever happened*

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
Cotton takes dye easily, so you shouldn't have a problem in that regard. Make sure the article is free of oils and stains before dying. Keep in mind that you'll have to wash that item separately for a minimum of 3 washes before you can add it to a regular load as there will be some color bleeding for the first few washes.

I dye things with Rit relatively frequently (2-3 times a year) and I do use my washing machine; but, understand it takes at least 2 complete washing cycles of hot water and bleach to remove all the dye. That can be a real pain for some.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... dying something from a light to a dark color probably works better than doing so from a dark to a light color I'm guessing.

Stlight

ideas are floating where they will
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
where you can put sugar sprinkles on lots of thing
Thanks everyone. I'll probably use the garbage bag, then wash it several times in the washer. I usually cold water in the washer, should I use warm/hot to get the bleeding part of the dye out or will the cold do?

I'm dying white cotton purple. Ken, that was a happy accident going from white to dark.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
I'd use cold to warm water; I don't like to use hot water on my colors, especially the newly dyed ones.