Sherlock - Last episode thread - SPOILERS

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
BIG SPOILERS! Do not read if you haven't seen it!

The Reichenbach Fall - how did he do it?

The most popular theory is that the people hanging around the hospital were all part of the homeless network and were in on the plan. The wire-sided bin lorry was deliberately parked there as there was a net strung between it and the hospital wall. So Sherlock landed on the net, John got knocked over by the kid on the bike. While he is struggling over the road, Sherlock hid and Molly brought out a body that could pass for Sherlock and the homeless pulled John away.

Me, I'm not so sure. There was no evidence of a net and I couldn't see any hooks or anything to hang the net on.

So, what do you think?

Kiel

Registered
Reaction score
One of the writers, Stephen Moffatt said in an interview, ''There's one clue everyone has missed. It's something Sherlock did that was out of character but which nobody has picked up on.''

The only things that i could see were the ball he was constantly playing with and phoning Watson (when he usually texts him) possibly to make sure he was looking at him or who he thought was him.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
A lot of people are saying it's the answer he gave to Molly when she asked what he needed. He just said 'you'.

But I'm not sure about that either. Sherlock is very literal in what he says most of the time. So he literally needed her. But not in the sexual way that question/answer is usually taken. He needed her to do what he asked.

Kiel

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I agree with you. When the next series airs and the answer is revealed we're either going to be scratching our heads or shouting "how did i not see that?"

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
True!

I hope it's not a copout answer though. I shall be really annoyed if it is.

zahra

Was Zahra; lost profile - REBORN!
Registered
Reaction score
One of the writers, Stephen Moffatt said in an interview, ''There's one clue everyone has missed. It's something Sherlock did that was out of character but which nobody has picked up on.''

The only things that i could see were the ball he was constantly playing with and phoning Watson (when he usually texts him) possibly to make sure he was looking at him or who he thought was him.
I think it's that he apologised. Sherlock never apologised, John commented on that before. Did we get an explanation of why the little girl screamed when she saw him? Because if not, and I don't remember one, then a lookalike might come into it. I bet there's lots of red herrings, though, because everything seems too obvious.

I think, though, that Sherlock would have deduced that Moriarty's ultimate aim would be for him to commit suicide and controlled the situation by meeting him where he did.

The guy who played Moriarty was amazing. So was Martin Freeman.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I reckon the little girl screaming was just part of Moriarty's plan. I don't think it has anything to do with Sherlock's 'death'.

zahra

Registered
Reaction score
I reckon the little girl screaming was just part of Moriarty's plan. I don't think it has anything to do with Sherlock's 'death'.
Yes, but how did he get her to scream on seeing Sherlock? Had someone who looked like Sherlock been part of her kidnap ordeal?

Kiel

Registered
Reaction score
Everything does seem too obvious and it wouldn't be Sherlock of the answer was an obvious one. It's going to be a long wait until the next series.

Andrew Scott played Moriarty, and i also thought he was fantastic. Show stealing performance, especially when he was trying to convince Watson that Sherlock had hired him, i almost believed him.

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I loved Andrew Scott's performance. It was amazing. It was an inspired idea to make Moriaty as mad as a box of frogs. :crazy:

zahra

Registered
Reaction score
Eh? One of Moriarty's gang would be the dead body for Sherlock? How would that work?
Well, I don't mean his death was voluntary! Either Moriarty killed him so that no-one ever discovered the plot or someone else killed him. I dunno. I don't really like the lookalike theory, cos it's hokey, but I keep coming back to the girl screaming at Sherlock. A lookalike for the girl and someone who looks like Sherlock but isn't ends up dead. Coincidence?

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
You don't know that he does look like Sherlock. The dead body, I mean. One of the theories is that John got injected by the cyclist with the psychotropic drug from the last episode. So that John would see what he expected to see. Sherlock's dead body.

I see what you're saying about the look-alike but that would strike me as a little too much of a copout.

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
OH YAY. A Sherlock thread. :D

I loved Andrew Scott's performance. It was amazing. It was an inspired idea to make Moriaty as mad as a box of frogs. :crazy:

God, yes. I've read reviews complaining about how far he took it from the original cloak-and-dagger image of Moriarty-- but really, how else do you bring a guy like that into modern day and keep him on equal footing with Sherlock? He was just as smart and completely without rules or rationality: I thought it was brilliant.

And my god, what a performance.

I do think the homeless network was in on it --the lady pulling John's hand away from Sherlock's wrist especially. I wonder if he had some kind of rappelling line under his coat? I didn't see anything to really suggest it, but they do a quick close-up of his shoes on the ledge twice before he falls, and I keep thinking there has to be a reason for that outside of the drama of the shot.

Out of character actions -- hm. He made tea. Also he asked Molly for help, he was sitting on the floor and playing with a ball, he called John instead of texting, and he threw his phone away.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
The texting thing....

You're just about to say goodbye forever to the only friend you have or have ever had. You're about to throw yourself off a building because you have no other choice. Are you really gonna text? Really?

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
Not me, but Sherlock?

It wouldn't surprise me, no.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Not me, but Sherlock?

It wouldn't surprise me, no.

Really? It would have shocked the hell out of me. Even with Sherlock. You can't text a suicide note. That's just wrong.

Besides which, the phone conversation was all part of the plan. It was to keep John's attention on Sherlock so he wouldn't notice the stuff going on below. He couldn't do that by text.

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
Besides which, the phone conversation was all part of the plan. It was to keep John's attention on Sherlock so he wouldn't notice the stuff going on below. He couldn't do that by text.

Exactly.

I put talking over texting in the social-niceties category, even for a last goodbye to someone he clearly cares about. I think it'd be pretty classic Sherlock to text a last goodbye.

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Sherlock - must jump in! :D

Didn't Sherlock shed a tear while he was on the ledge? I vaguely remember that, and thinking it was extremely out of character for him. Not sure how it could relate to the plan, but the side effect of some drug maybe?

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Sherlock - must jump in! :D

Didn't Sherlock shed a tear while he was on the ledge? I vaguely remember that, and thinking it was extremely out of character for him. Not sure how it could relate to the plan, but the side effect of some drug maybe?

I thought that was out of character. I was exchanging emails with my editor about it and she reckoned not, because he'd broken down and cried in an episode in the first series. I can't remember. :(

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
I remember thinking that too. :)

Granted that he can cry at the drop of a hat when he needs to, those did seem more -- genuine. Hrm.

I'm personally hoping this new twitter character they've tossed in is him in disguise.