Medical Romance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sakamonda

Registered
Reaction score
Okay. . .

OK, nobody seems to be writing Medical Romance on this board, but does anybody here like to read it?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Hmm. I wasn't aware there was much medical romance out there these days? I am not but would love to hear more about it. The last med romance i saw was very much in the old nurse tries to nab doctor sort and terribly sexist!

Sakamonda

Registered
Reaction score
Well. . .

I'm writing the typical nurse-seduces-doctor plot, but with a twist---the doctor is a raging SOB jerk with a dark past and the nurse tames him by turning the power tables on him.

From what I can tell, Harlequin still runs a pretty successful medical romance category; they are advertising for manuscript submissions for that line on their website. An Amazon search turns up most of their medical romances as being by British authors. At this point, I am not sure if this one that I'm working on will be for Harlequin's category line (50,000 word requirement) or if I'll make it a bit longer as a single-title contemporary. Thoughts?

Kasey Mackenzie

One Hit Wonder?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kaseymackenzie.com
Personally I never got into medical romances, especially the ones that seemed overly sexist. Which to me was a lot! So unfortunately I can't offer any specific advice or insights into the market, but I do wish you luck! =)

Susan Gable

Dreamer of dreams, teller of tales
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
The Harlequin Medical romances (Actually, M&B - Mills & Boon) are only released "on shelves" in the UK. They don't make shelves in North America.

So, just be aware of that when you submit. :)

Susan G.

Sakamonda

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. . .

Thanks Susan. Then it's probably best for me to do it as a single-title contemporary, then.

Jenny

Who should be writing ...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not writing any, but I've recently read some of the Harlequin ones picked up secondhand - so they range from a couple of years to quite a few years out of date. A couple of things struck me. First, was way too much medical terminology. Is that meant to make us believe in the genuineness (is that a word?) of the story/characters, or showing off the author's knowledge/research?

Second, yeah, they did strike me as quite sexist, but hey? isn't that the point? The hero is meant to make life better for the heroine, it's just that the subtlety of the story telling is um, missing.

Third, Harlequin advertises them as equating with the Sweet/Traditional line. Or, at least, they did when the books were printed. That probably says a lot about the market they're aimed at.

Fourth, kids. I think nearly each one involved kids. Nothing like a certain tearjerker.

Fifth, I hope I don't sound unkind or cynical. I love romance stories, but in terms of improving at writing at them, I think brutal honesty that even exaggerates flaws helps, I don't know, make things clearer.

Finally, and wavering right off topic, does anyone else find it hard to stick to the guidelines and (I hesitate to say it) formula of Harlequin while developing an original storyline? Maybe it's just me who is dullsville when it comes to novel length plots.

Jenny

Sakamonda

Registered
Reaction score
An argument can be made that the entire romance genre is sexist. But it's an argument I don't necessarily buy if the author has done the hard work of writing characters that have depth, emotions and real human flaws---which both the man and the woman each helping the other to resolve and improve upon. Plus, I think the story where a woman helps "tame" and reform a "bad boy" makes the woman more powerful of the two. That's the kind of story I'm writing right now---it just happens to take place in a medical setting.

Sakamonda

Registered
Reaction score
Restarting thread

I'm restarting this thread because my WIP is shaping up (more than half finished with draft 1) and wanted to run a few things by folks.

It appears my WIP (working title, "Passion: STAT!") will fit perfectly into the Silhouette Desire line. (i.e., heroine is a tough nurse---with Army/Desert Storm experience, no less---who tames the successful-Type A-rich-and-powerful-SOB hero by seducing him and cutting him down to size on her own terms, all in 57,000 words or less.)

I've been researching this line and haven't found any medical plots in their recent titles. Most of them involve heroes who are CEOs, lawyers, cowboys, and other typical "tough guys", but not surgeons. Perhaps there are earlier titles with doctors/surgeons in this line that are out of print. Anyone read Silhouette Desire with any regularity? If so, would the following synopsis appeal to you?

Passion: STAT!
Joanna Watson, thirty-six, is a seasoned nurse in a small, cash-strapped North Carolina rural hospital. She may seem tough as nails on the outside, but on the inside she's coming apart at the seams---the hospital's so short-staffed she's been working nonstop double and triple shifts in the OR for months; she's deep in debt; and the divorce she's fought her meddling ex-husband three long years in court to secure is being held up due to a "technicality."

Enter Harlan Wilkinson, MD, Covington Community Hospital's new Chief of Surgery. For reasons nobody is quite sure of, this world-famous surgeon---a veteran of many glamorous overseas assignments with Doctors Without Borders---abandoned his high-paying, big-city surgeon's post to work in a small hospital in Statesville, North Carolina. Dr. Wilkinson is a rude, crude, obnoxious SOB both in and out of the operating room, and Covington Community Hospital's nurses are quitting their jobs right and left rather than put up with any more of his nasty verbal abuse. Joanna thinks she sees through the cracks of his brash exterior to the wounded, gentle man within----but can she tame him before he drives her mad?

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Sakamonda said:
An argument can be made that the entire romance genre is sexist.

i don't think the sexism observation is about what the genre *must* be, but an observation of what it is--I haven't picked up a medical romance that didn;t include some strong sexist elements.

Now the one described above cerainly doesn;t strike me as being in the same mold because it seems to update the old nurse-doctor story by having the heroine be a realistic nurse! I mean that is one *tough* job.

Sakamonda

Registered
Reaction score
Yes. ..

Yes, I've done my best to keep things as realistic as possible. My day job is in the medical research field so I know first-hand how hard a job nursing is. Hospital nurses frequently work in excess of 80 hours a week due to the nursing shortage, and nursing today is highly complex, skilled, and often thankless work. Hospital nurses also earn very little money when you consider the amount of training required for the job and the long hours they put in, plus their responsibility for patients' lives. Once nurses get their masters' degrees, they often leave "floor" nursing in favor of higher-paying administration jobs---no wonder, because patient nursing is so grueling. The heroine in this novel is a surgical nurse who supervises an operating room; she has combat nursing experience and is highly skilled in surgery herself; she even stands up to the hero in the OR when he almost makes a big mistake while operating on somebody. Surgical nurses are especially tough, not just because their job is so hard, but also because they have to put up with surgeons---who are often egotistical, abusive jerks.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
And how. Also sterilising rooms and equipment is a greuling tedious job but one slip up could mean a fatal infection. Meanwhile every idiot in the buidling keeps stumbling into the 'clean' space so you have to do it all over again. (and my experience of the job is veterinary without the added human factor)

What would lure me to buy the book would be an inkling that Mr Alpha male really will be taught the difference between confidence and arrogance. So he is tamed but not broken ;)

Sakamonda

Registered
Reaction score
:)

It is indeed my aim to have the alpha-male-SOB-from-hell tamed by the heroine into a well-balanced, confident, and considerate person---and he helps make the heroine whole, too. Hopefully all will work out in the ending, just as soon as I write it.

Status
Not open for further replies.