PDA

View Full Version : Query Letter

FoamyRules
01-23-2012, 05:59 AM
Hi, I'm new here and really wasn't sure where to post this, but I figured that this would be the best spot so sorry if I spammed the forum.

My question is on how to write a query letter. I have googled them but still want to know the do's and don'ts of writing one since I'm getting close to submitting my first novel for publication.

Please and thank you :)

CaroGirl
01-23-2012, 06:13 AM
Go here (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=174)(password: vista) and read the stickies at the top of the thread.

Now read through some of the queries critiqued in the thread itself. When you're ready (and have 50+ posts), consider posting your query for critique. Keep in mind that if critiquers seem harsh, it's the tough-love you need to improve your work and sell that novel.

Good luck!

Silver-Midnight
01-23-2012, 06:52 AM
I just really want to say thanks for this too.

FoamyRules
01-23-2012, 09:43 AM
Go here (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=174)(password: vista) and read the stickies at the top of the thread.

Now read through some of the queries critiqued in the thread itself. When you're ready (and have 50+ posts), consider posting your query for critique. Keep in mind that if critiquers seem harsh, it's the tough-love you need to improve your work and sell that novel.

Good luck!
Thank you :) This is very helpful.

Madison Ready
01-25-2012, 03:45 AM
You should also check out Janet Reid's QueryShark.

Extremely valuable information on that puppy.

Giant Baby
01-26-2012, 04:50 AM
You should also check out Janet Reid's QueryShark.

Extremely valuable information on that puppy.

Agreed. I'd recommend scrolling down the righthand side-bar for the list of queries that got a yes first. Get a feel for how they read. Then start wading through the archives.

It's only one agent's opinion, but it's a hell of a resource.

FoamyRules
01-30-2012, 10:22 AM
Thank you both so much :)