PDA

View Full Version : Birdsong

scarletpeaches
01-23-2012, 02:27 AM
I was so, so scared this would mess up the book as it's been on my favourites list since I first read it years ago, but...

*sigh*

Not a fan of Eddie Redmayne, but he does longing glances so well even if his lips do make him look like he's been eating too many salt and vinegar crisps.

Anyone else watch it?

I CAN'T WAIT 'TIL NEXT SUNDAY!

zahra
01-24-2012, 11:32 PM
I was so, so scared this would mess up the book as it's been on my favourites list since I first read it years ago, but...

*sigh*

Not a fan of Eddie Redmayne, but he does longing glances so well even if his lips do make him look like he's been eating too many salt and vinegar crisps.

Anyone else watch it?

I CAN'T WAIT 'TIL NEXT SUNDAY!

I did. Haven't read the book, but was impressed by the drama so far. That anaemic dialogue-delivery in the 'domestic' scenes gets on my nick-nacks somewhat, but the army scenes are utterly gripping.

I know what you mean about ER. He's one of the new breed of posh-boy actors who look like they should spend their working lives playing Keats, dying of consumption.

jilly61
01-28-2012, 08:45 PM
It doesn't do any harm that Sebastian Faulks is one of the executive producers.

I can't wait for Sunday's episode

bertrigby
01-30-2012, 02:48 AM
I quite liked the first half, but the second half was too slow for me. I found the climax of the book to be so utterly, breathlessly gripping and the TV version just failed to capture that for me.

scarletpeaches
01-30-2012, 05:19 PM
They completed missed out Elizabeth! :eek:

But still, I watched the second episode in floods of tears. Redmayne does tortured staring to a degree I've not seen since Richard Armitage.

alegory
01-31-2012, 06:06 AM
I've not read the book but I may well do now. I watched the programme because of the war aspect and wasn't expecting to enjoy the romance side so much but in the end, I thought it was pretty good.
I cried almost continuously through the going-over-the-top scenes and the aftermath of them. So sad...

(Ah, I've missed these boards...)

mirandashell
01-31-2012, 10:22 PM
I didn't like ER at all. Such an expressionless face. I didn't bother watching the second part because it just didn't capture the feel of the book at all for me.