• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Critique Partner - COGLING, YA Steampunk Fantasy

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayliaDarkness

Stepping through the Shadows
Registered
Reaction score
Hello, everyone. I would love a new pair of eyes to read over my YA Steampunk Fantasy of 85,000 words. I'll gladly swap in any genre. Here is the query:

When fifteen-year-old Edna discovers an expensive pocket watch hanging around her little brother's neck, she is afraid he stole it. As she tears the watch off, her brother crumbles into a pile of cogs. Horrified, Edna flees into the city streets for help, but encounters Ike, a thief who attempts to steal the watch before he realizes what it is—a device to power Coglings.

According to Ike, hags kidnap children to work in their factories and replace their bodies with Coglings—clockwork changelings. Desperate to rescue her brother, Edna sets off across the kingdom to the hags' swamp, with Ike in tow. There, they learn Coglings are also replacing nobility so the hags can stage a rebellion and rule over humanity. Edna and Ike must stop them, but the populace believes hags are helpful godmothers and healers – no one wants to believe a servant and a thief, especially when Ike has secrets that could label them both as traitors. The two must make the kingdom trust them or stop the hags themselves, even if Ike must embrace his dark heritage and Edna must surrender her family.

Status
Not open for further replies.