PDA

View Full Version : Re-Querying An Agent

twright
01-22-2012, 01:53 AM
In general, I know it's bad form, to say the least, to re-query an agent who has turned down my query because the material just didn't grab her.

However, what if the agent was initially interested in the pitch at a conference several years ago and since then I have both significantly improved my craft and re-written as well as deepened the plot? This was a finalist several years ago in a prominent writing contest, and I have to say it's much better now.

Because I really liked and respected the agent, I'd like to run it by her again, but only if it were appropriate. Is there a tactful way to approach this agent or should I just forget about it?

Thanks!

Filigree
01-22-2012, 02:03 AM
Between the finalist position, the agent's initial interest, and your improvements since then, I'd say you have good reason to re-query. Just make certain you mention all these factors in your query.

Drachen Jager
01-22-2012, 03:41 AM
Most agents will accept re-queries that come more than a year apart in any case. They just don't like it when you run a lightly edited version of the same book past them again and again.

J.Reid
01-22-2012, 06:57 AM
There are no QueryPolice who will arrest you for querying again. The worst thing that can happen is s/he'll say no.

Drachen Jager
01-22-2012, 07:21 AM
There are no QueryPolice who will arrest you for querying again. The worst thing that can happen is s/he'll say no.

Yeah, but what about the Query Death Squads? I heard you were involved with one of those... ;)

BigBooksNY
01-28-2012, 07:15 PM
Yea, I def think you should requery. Don't dwell on the past in the letter just a line or two to refresh her memory. Keep it light and focused.