Traditional Publishing *AND* epublishing/self-publishing

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
I've heard a few agents talk about how many authors are doing the traditional publishing route (in one genre), then self-pubbing or e-pubbing in another genre.

Is anyone doing this kind of thing? I'm happy with my traditional methods right now, but am fascinated by those who are dipping a toe in the epublishing OR self-publishing markets as well.

Edited: for clarification

Last edited:

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
I am. :) I have my novels, and I self-published a blog series I did on writing sex scenes, called BE A SEX-WRITING STRUMPET. It's doing pretty well, and I have plans to do a couple of novellas; an original story and a story set in my Downside world from another character's POV. (I also did a microshort as a free gift for readers.)

It's fun. I wouldn't want to rely on it for my career, but it's fun as a side project and brings in some extra cash, which is nice.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
I am. :) I have my novels, and I self-published a blog series I did on writing sex scenes, called BE A SEX-WRITING STRUMPET. It's doing pretty well, and I have plans to do a couple of novellas; an original story and a story set in my Downside world from another character's POV. (I also did a microshort as a free gift for readers.)

It's fun. I wouldn't want to rely on it for my career, but it's fun as a side project and brings in some extra cash, which is nice.

One question I have is, are you bound in your contract somehow? Can you write in that same world (another character's POV) and publish it yourself?

Michael Davis

Registered
Reaction score
I have two very good author friends that do exactly that, but under separate names/aliases so as not to corrupt their follow ship or PO their publisher. In both cases, the SP route is earning more royalties. Actually did a side by side comparison in a workshop DVD I produced that details the pros and cons of each publication option. Bottomline - SP is evolving out of the black sheep alternative it used to be framed. Not JMO either. Have several links on my website that reference the transition of SP into a more viable outlet.

Reaction score
Oh look. Another thread that treats epublishing and self-publishing as the same thing.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
Oh look. Another thread that treats epublishing and self-publishing as the same thing.

Either one. I'm curious about both epublishing and selfpublishing + the traditional publishing.

Didn't mean to make it sound like they were the same thing. But, I know a few folks who are doing either traditional + epublishing or traditional + self publishing.

I'm curious about how both can work together.

Sorry if I wasn't too clear in the original post. I'll fix it now.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
I have two very good author friends that do exactly that, but under separate names/aliases so as not to corrupt their follow ship or PO their publisher. In both cases, the SP route is earning more royalties. Actually did a side by side comparison in a workshop DVD I produced that details the pros and cons of each publication option. Bottomline - SP is evolving out of the black sheep alternative it used to be framed. Not JMO either. Have several links on my website that reference the transition of SP into a more viable outlet.

This is what I'm hearing as well, but, even though an author publishing under another name, wouldn't it be better to connect the dots (so to say), so that readership knows about both? Wouldn't that allow for crossover sales?

Calle Jay

Romance Novelist & Freelance Editor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.callejbrookes.com
This is what I'm hearing as well, but, even though an author publishing under another name, wouldn't it be better to connect the dots (so to say), so that readership knows about both? Wouldn't that allow for crossover sales?

I do this exact thing. I am epubbed in historical romance under one name and I self pub paranormal romance under this name. I am also starting to agent hunt under this name for romantic suspense (my true love!). I've subbed it to four agents and had two partial requests. I'd like to go trade with the romantic suspense.

I do not want my historical romance name (close to my legal name) connected with my paranormal/rom suspense for one very good reason:
My romantic suspense is grittier and deals with subjects such as serial killers/child abuse/etc. and my paranormal hoovers close to erotica. I want to keep a distance between my writing and my family as I do have a child.

Cross over sales don't matter that much.

As a side point--even my worst selling self pubbed novella in paranormal (pubbed Dec 11) has FAR surpassed my sales for historical romance( pubbed May 5) through an actual e-publisher...(I also don't promote my works at all--I'm lazy!)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.