PDA

View Full Version : Recurring dreams for writers?

Lunatique
01-20-2012, 06:42 AM
Do you guys have recurring dreams that appear to stem from your writing frustrations/fears?

I have one where I'm trying to talk to someone and explain something, but my mouth/vocal cords keeps turning to mush and cannot get the sounds out properly, and the anxiety of not being able to express myself is just overwhelming.

Dreams like that probably can happen for anyone who's facing challenges in their lives and feeling a bit helpless/frustrated, but I'm pretty sure in my case, it's because of my writing.

How about you?

OTOH, I do get awesome ideas from some dreams too--ideas I would never have came up with on my own.

kayleamay
01-20-2012, 07:31 AM
OTOH, I do get awesome ideas from some dreams too--ideas I would never have came up with on my own.

Your dreams are your own, so you did come up with them, just not consciously.

My dreams are a cornucopia of nonsense. It's like watching cartoons on LSD. I take great amusement from them, but I've never dreamt up a plot.

jjdebenedictis
01-20-2012, 08:16 AM
My problem is I always think I've dreamed up a plot. I wake all excited about it.

But alas, they are all vampires: they fly by night and then burst into flame when the daylight hits them.

jenngreenleaf
01-20-2012, 08:22 AM
I try to write my dreams out as often as possible (I've even blogged about a couple) because, in one way or another, they always seem to lead back to writing. It's a love/hate relationship because some are understandable, and others are FRUSTRATING.

CChampeau
01-20-2012, 08:31 AM
Interesting how so many people feel like they've solved a problem or had a brilliant insight in a dream, only to realize that it made no sense. It's kind of nightmarish. Haven't had any wacky dreams about writing specifically, though...

Meh, I need to write more...

jenngreenleaf
01-20-2012, 08:34 AM
...or, maybe we write too much? :D