Mascot name "Cougar" deemed offensive to middle-aged women

Nexus

Evolute
Registered
Reaction score
Mascot name for school of "Cougars" deemed offensive to middle-aged women.

http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes/top-stories/school-fears-cougars-mascot-will-offend-women.html

My response...
vg17208_facepalm.png

e2G3b2u36rX3

What's yours?

Wolfie

oof
Registered
Reaction score
Mine-lol
My school mascot is a cougar(as are many other school's mascot so..you know.)
xD

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
...district officials overrode the student vote after complaints that the word “cougar” is offensive and derogatory towards women.
I'm sure a few loudmouths complained far and wide enough to have the name stricken from consideration; because as we all know, whenever the word "cougar" is mentioned, all anyone can think of is this:
...In pop culture, the term “cougar” refers to a sexually aggressive middle-aged woman who attracts younger men.
Kill me now, please, before I ever come across anything that lame again and might consider offing myself instead.

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's a good thing we don't have anything more important to worry about.

:sarcasm:

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
This is why deeming words offensive is problematic. As long as mean people exist, they're going to keep coming up with new ways to use words offensively.

I read somewhere that the phrase "mentally retarded" was introduced so health professionals could to avoid using words like "moron", which had developed a stigma thanks to the public using those words as insults. And hey ho, now "mentally retarded" is offensive because the public did the same damned thing to it.

On a quasi-related note: When I was a child, my parents had a friend who raced sled dogs. He used the word "bitch", he used it correctly, and he didn't have a problem with saying it in front of children because he was not saying anything offensive.

As you might imagine, my parents had to very delicately explain to us kiddies that we should not add that term to our vocabularies.

Last edited:

Sirion

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I always thought middle-aged women didn't exist. For some reason, every woman I meet, even if they look older, all say they are still in their twenties.

I take them at their word. Why would they lie about their age?

eggs

Registered
Reaction score
I read somewhere that the phrase "mentally retarded" was introduced so health professionals could to avoid using words like "moron", which had developed a stigma thanks to the public using those words as insults. And hey ho, now "mentally retarded" is offensive because the public did the same damned thing to it.

But how long until a word can come out the other side of the offensive quagmire? My mom (in her late 60's) recently reprimanded my niece for using the word spaz. Neither niece nor any of her cousins or friends (all teens) were even aware that the word once had a medical meaning and could be considered offensive. To them it just means clumsy. I would say spaz is due to be granted patrol from the Bureau of Offensive Words (Mom disagrees). Retarded, OTOH, still has time to serve.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
But how long until a word can come out the other side of the offensive quagmire? My mom (in her late 60's) recently reprimanded my niece for using the word spaz. Neither niece nor any of her cousins or friends (all teens) were even aware that the word once had a medical meaning and could be considered offensive. To them it just means clumsy. I would say spaz is due to be granted patrol from the Bureau of Offensive Words (Mom disagrees). Retarded, OTOH, still has time to serve.

I would say spaz is pretty offensive, and has been for many years. It has different uses in different countries.

Lucas

Registered
Reaction score
This brings me back to 2005, and the "Nogger Black Crisis" that engulfed Sweden.

nogger_black.gif

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I bet they weren't really afraid of offending any possible 'cougars'. They just didn't want folks making any jokes about the mascot name. And they chose the name themselves instead of tossing it back to the students? Yeah, they just wanted to pick the name themselves, I think.

It reminds me of how some people can be about choosing baby names. They try to avoid any name that could be made into an offensive nickname, no matter how obscure or ineffective that nickname would be.

crunchyblanket

the Juggernaut of Imperfection
Registered
Reaction score
It reminds me of how some people can be about choosing baby names. They try to avoid any name that could be made into an offensive nickname, no matter how obscure or ineffective that nickname would be.

We had a German teaching assistant called Fanny when I was at school.

You can imagine how that went down :D

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As a middle-aged woman, I'm offended by the term "cougar"--but only when it's applied to middle-aged women. When it's referring to the animal, well, that's what it SHOULD refer to.

Unfortunately, no one thinks about that kind of offensive when using such terms.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
We had a German teaching assistant called Fanny when I was at school.

You can imagine how that went down :D

That was my grandmother's name, and she always hated it! It'd be worse in the UK ;) All her life she went by her middle name :D

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Dr. John L. H. Down, who first described Down syndrome, used the term "mongoloid idiot." What is horribly offensive now was at the time (1866) simply medical language.

Language is a living thing. It evolves.

That said, cougar as current slang for middle aged woman on the make should hardly disqualify it from being used by sports teams. The primary meaning of cougar is still a feline animal.

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
So I should change my team's name, the Milwaukee MILFs?

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
John Cougar changed his name to back to John Mellancamp. Maybe he foresaw problems ahead.

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
What I find offensive is that they think "Mascot name for school of "Cougars" deemed offensive to middle-aged women." and should be stricken. That's just stupid.

Seaclusion

Absolute Parsley
Registered
Reaction score
John Cougar changed his name to back to John Mellancamp. Maybe he foresaw problems ahead.

Actually, he changed his name first to John Cougar Mellencamp because he was mad at the record company for making him change his last name but still wanted fans to be able to recognize him. Then later he completely dropped the Cougar. So you can find his albums listed under the three names.

Richard

Seaclusion

Absolute Parsley
Registered
Reaction score
On a related note, I have stopped using the term 'niggardly' because it now offends some people even though they have no idea what the meaning of the word is.

nig·gard·ly

   /ˈnɪg
thinsp.png
ərd
thinsp.png
li/ adjective
1. reluctant to give or spend; stingy; miserly.
2. meanly or ungenerously small or scanty: a niggardly tip to a waiter.

Richard

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think "mentally retarded" is an offensive term. I think it's a literal one, which is why I don't understand why the PC movement found it so appalling. Yes, kids (and some adults) I know will use the term "retard" out of context as an insult. That will happen regardless of what term becomes officially accepted.

Per Merriam-Webster:

Retardation: an abnormal slowness of thought or action

or

slowness in development or progress

Yep. That's pretty much it in a nutshell.

I'm a middle-aged woman and I don't understand why a "cougar" mascot would be offensive at all, unless the ones complaining are so dense that they don't understand it's referring to a big cat, not a forty-something woman dating a twenty-something man. It's slang, for Pete's sake! How did these women survive to middle-age with such delicate sensibilities?

Thank you, Fox News, for reporting another non-issue to fill empty heads.

Last edited:

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And in other news, four people from the American Rosacea Support Group are petitioning to have the Rose Parade renamed The Parade of Ambiguous Mulit-colored Flowery Things.