PDA

View Full Version : DIAMONDS

citymouse
01-20-2012, 12:41 AM
I know that diamonds are registered, however are there diamonds that are not registered and therefore untraceable? Also if a very large or famous stone was cut into smaller stones, would they be traceable, assuming they haven't been registered. What I'm aiming for is a rash of thefts of untraceable gems that can be traded for lots of cash.
Thanks for your help.
C

mirandashell
01-20-2012, 12:42 AM
Who are diamonds registered with?

citymouse
01-20-2012, 01:02 AM
This is fiction, so it really doesn't matter. I don't specify. However, de Beers springs to mind.
The crux of the story is a large and rare diamond that is stolen. It plays a part in a larger conspiracy to get untraceable gems The stones aren't important except for their use as 'hidden' cash in order to further a more sinister crime, that theft.
C

Who are diamonds registered with?

Drachen Jager
01-20-2012, 01:04 AM
If you broke a large stone up into smaller stones I don't think it would be worth very much unless it was really huge to begin with.

I know they can trace the geographic origins of diamonds by the trace materials in the diamond so I'm sure if there was some record of that diamond's composition, or there was another diamond which came from the same mine they could testy they could confirm it came from a specific mine.

All diamonds have flaws, and I suppose if the stone were sufficiently famous the flaws might be recorded somewhere. If you were to check one of the recut diamonds and found it had that particular flaw you could confirm it was cut from the master-diamond.

Only diamonds over a certain size are registered, and then only new ones and some older ones. There are plenty of older stones that are unregistered.

citymouse
01-20-2012, 01:08 AM
Thanks. That enough to know. I can spin it using this.:)
C

If you broke a large stone up into smaller stones I don't think it would be worth very much unless it was really huge to begin with.

I know they can trace the geographic origins of diamonds by the trace materials in the diamond so I'm sure if there was some record of that diamond's composition, or there was another diamond which came from the same mine they could testy they could confirm it came from a specific mine.

All diamonds have flaws, and I suppose if the stone were sufficiently famous the flaws might be recorded somewhere. If you were to check one of the recut diamonds and found it had that particular flaw you could confirm it was cut from the master-diamond.

Only diamonds over a certain size are registered, and then only new ones and some older ones. There are plenty of older stones that are unregistered.

Drachen Jager
01-20-2012, 01:09 AM
Oh, just checking. Apparently only Canadian diamonds are consistently registered (to prove that they are blood-free). There is a huge trade in smuggled blood-diamonds so there can't be any kind of complete worldwide registry.

Just search "Diamond" on Wikipedia.

citymouse
01-20-2012, 01:15 AM
Oh, the Canadian info is good. I don't want to stray there.
C

Oh, just checking. Apparently only Canadian diamonds are consistently registered (to prove that they are blood-free). There is a huge trade in smuggled blood-diamonds so there can't be any kind of complete worldwide registry.

Just search "Diamond" on Wikipedia.

shaldna
01-20-2012, 02:35 PM
I know that diamonds are registered, however are there diamonds that are not registered and therefore untraceable?

As far as I know, and you might want to check, diamond suppliers are registered, but the individual stones aren't unless they are laser tagged by the jeweller to prove authenticiity or to trace a stolen gem - this would be for an expensive stone.

Also if a very large or famous stone was cut into smaller stones, would they be traceable, assuming they haven't been registered. What I'm aiming for is a rash of thefts of untraceable gems that can be traded for lots of cash.

I think unless the stone was a certain unusal colour or had a certain flaw that might make it identifiable, then it would be hard to trace them.

HOWEVER diamond cutting is a very hightly skilled job, and there are very few places that are either able to do it at all, or are able to do it to a sifficient standard for the gem trade.

The crux of the story is a large and rare diamond that is stolen. It plays a part in a larger conspiracy to get untraceable gems The stones aren't important except for their use as 'hidden' cash in order to further a more sinister crime, that theft.
C

Diamon smuggling is a big issue and there have been a lot of books and movies about it. The issue you might have is finding a buyer, especially if you were new to the trade.

citymouse
01-20-2012, 03:37 PM
Thanks for this. My bad guys aren't in it for the money. They do have buyers; black market et al. Their goal is to finance a caper that can't be traced back to them, ergo the gems. Now all I have to do is, write a story that is utter foolishness, and make it believable!
C

As far as I know, and you might want to check, diamond suppliers are registered, but the individual stones aren't unless they are laser tagged by the jeweller to prove authenticiity or to trace a stolen gem - this would be for an expensive stone.

I think unless the stone was a certain unusal colour or had a certain flaw that might make it identifiable, then it would be hard to trace them.

HOWEVER diamond cutting is a very hightly skilled job, and there are very few places that are either able to do it at all, or are able to do it to a sifficient standard for the gem trade.

Diamon smuggling is a big issue and there have been a lot of books and movies about it. The issue you might have is finding a buyer, especially if you were new to the trade.

chevbrock
01-20-2012, 03:48 PM
Now all I have to do is, write a story that is utter foolishness, and make it believable!
C

That is all our jobs.