Status
Not open for further replies.

DoctorK

I'm not a Dr., I'm a baseball fan.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
PagesOfWords.blogspot.com
Looking for a writer's group in Rochester, NY - I'm working on a YA contemporary thriller, so a group that touches upon those genres would be best. Any ideas where to look? Outside of classes at Writers & Books, that is?

Thanks!

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
You might get more responses in the Meet and Greet area of AW, Doc, so I'll move your thread there now from Office Party.

Best of luck to you.

DoctorK

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks - I did find a group on Meetup, but, afraid of running into a bunch of internet weirdos, I was hoping for a reference from one of the AW internet weidos... :D

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
DoctorK, I'm in two face-to-face critique groups in your area--but both are genre-specific. One was quite large for a number of years. It's now dwindled to just a few after a major disagreement, but it's still going strong many years in. (The other is pretty new and sort of withering on the vine.)

However, I'm glad to share how we did it. We all took a genre-specific class at Writers & Books. We asked everyone in the class, even the people we didn't much care for, if they'd be interested in continuing to meet for critique when the class ended, at the same time and at a nearby restaurant which was never busy (so we could linger). We started with about a dozen people, which is really too many, but within a year we had a pretty consistent six to eight attendees, which worked nicely for a number of years, until one newish member caused the split.

So even if you don't think you can get much out of a W&B class in YA, the connections alone might be worth it.

You can also put up flyers at W&B, MCC, UofR, RIT, Fisher, Naz, and branch libraries. Specify a meeting for a brand-new YA writing group convening at some time and place you've arranged which is convenient for you. (Early evening, library or bookstore meeting room? Lunch time on a weekday, for a fast meet-and-greet?) Make a sign for the door and bring a friend, so it'll look like a tiny group already exists. (I know of a group which started that way.)

Failing that, consider contacting the meet-up group and asking if you can observe to see if it's a good fit for you.

Maryn, who has a Red Wings hat, but not on

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
You can also put up flyers at W&B, MCC, UofR, RIT, Fisher, Naz, and branch libraries. Specify a meeting for a brand-new YA writing group convening at some time and place you've arranged which is convenient for you. (Early evening, library or bookstore meeting room? Lunch time on a weekday, for a fast meet-and-greet?) Make a sign for the door and bring a friend, so it'll look like a tiny group already exists. (I know of a group which started that way.)

Doctor K, this is how I did it in Bflo several years ago. Back then I was trying to write for the Christian market, and the church across the street from me was quite willing to let me use their meeting room once a month. I also got an announcement on local radio, in their "meetings happening" free list. I gave my phone number for contact to keep it simple.

It started with about 1 dozen, fluctuated between 6-8 members over 3 years, and finally fizzled out because I was the only one seeking commercial publication. But a meatspace crit group can be an excellent thing, if the members are willing to be honest without being nasty. Good luck!

DoctorK

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks callalily. Although I have to admit, I had to look up "meatspace." :D

I'm not sure it would necessarily be better than a "cyberspace" group, so I was thinking that if there were an existing group I could get a feel for how it's different or better than an online crit group.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
DoctorK, while I get critique from people I can see and touch (good thing nobody's ticklish) as well as online, I have a pretty strong preference for face to face, mainly because that's how you can get a feel for whether the person knows his/her ass from a hole in the ground, when it comes to writing.

My early online critique experiences were all highly negative, although one group lasted a couple years. But they always ended in flame-outs and name-calling when people disagreed with the 'rules' some laid out about grammar or quality or whether a scene with physical affection was disgusting, beautiful, or hot. When you meet a person, you can often tell pretty quickly if they're anywhere near your wavelength, and chatting about books and writing will confirm that.

I get better feedback here at AW, and mods carrying spatulas keep people in line, but of course you can't get a whole book done a chapter at a time.

Maryn, wishing you luck

DoctorK

Registered
Reaction score
Website
That's a good point. I don't yet have a first chapter for SYW, but when I do, I'll keep an eye out for the spatula brigade!

HistorySleuth

Researching History's Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
Well DoctorK, if you ever get to Wyoming County, we have a writer's group. We meet once a month at Burlingham Books on Main St. in Perry, on a Wednesday from 7-9. We read some of our stuff, work out of the MFA book, sometimes go over to the arts council (across from the book store) and write however the paintings inspire us.

Sometimes we have a get together at Mr. Scribbles (Mike Sparling's) art loft (also across from the book store). Its writers, artists, musicians. We have some wine/pop, munches and artsy talk. :)

February's should be coming up. But we meet all year long.

We write in all genres, some poets too. Pretty good bunch.

Well one guy is a bit odd with his fanfic stuff of Watership Downs and rabbit language, of all things... but other than that..... ya, we're trying to get him to expand his horizons. :D)

Last edited:

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
You might get more responses in the Meet and Greet area of AW, Doc, so I'll move your thread there now from Office Party.

Best of luck to you.

Um, OK... this is about the deadest forum (a dozen posts in half a year) but you're the boss...
So Doc, in hindsight, do you feel "the boss" made the right move or what?

Before you answer, realize that similar threads in Office Party have died and sank out of sight without a single response. ;)

DoctorK

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Lol... Well played. I'm at a loss for Tony Danza/Judith Light jokes at the moment...

In all honesty, lots of great suggestions and contributions from some neighbors. Thanks for redirecting the thread.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
...In all honesty, lots of great suggestions and contributions from some neighbors. Thanks for redirecting the thread.
It's nice to see that you took my previous post in the spirit it was intended, which was to tease you a little. Between us, though, I really didn't know at the time whether your thread would fare better here than where it had originated.

Like I said earlier, hindsight and all. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.