Smut or content?

kevin the wolf

Risking Honesty for Sanity
Registered
Reaction score
I have been blogging every day for almost 2 months now. I have about 70-100 hits a day. Some days I get over 500 hits. I now realize that is is my choice of topics, not the hard work I put in the content. If I write about sex or if I swear then I am gold, if I construct a post with a great deal of care and it turns into good writing then I am average. I presume this is constant with everyone?

Dannica

Registered
Reaction score
Why not have your cake and eat it too?

Write with a great deal of care, but spice it up with some steamy stuff or an off-color remark. It's only smut if you are only tossing in a naked boob to get the readers -- if it serves a purpose in the story, that's another matter.

Just my 2 cents. I like having cake and eating it!

Todd Young

Registered
Reaction score
Sex works for me (in my novels) but I try very hard to make them something more than simply smut.

Turndog-Millionaire

Registered
Reaction score
i feel ya pain, it's annoying that the posts that mean so much to you often don't get looked at as much as something with a cuss word in the title.

It's just how it is though, put some smut, a naked picture, or something like 'How to' 'Top 5' etc and more hits are bound to be had

It's just the way our brains work, we're attracted to things like that, even if the content isn't that great. Still, it sounds like you're doing ok with 100 hits a day. That's really good for someone who's only been blogging a couple of months

Like Dannica says, it's about balance. Maybe have a racy title and opening paragraph and then delve in to something deeper and more soulful

Matt (Turndog Millionaire)

kevin the wolf

Registered
Reaction score
Oh boy, acceptance is a tough thing sometimes. Readers like smut and top 5 lists. Try to blend what they like with what I do. I guess I could ignore it and write for myself, might not get many readers then.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
It's not about raw reader numbers, but attracting readers in your target audience. My target audience mainly goes for content posts about science and technology. Throwing in random swearing and sex would drive some of that target audience away, as they're not looking that.

If you really want to attract anyone, because anyone will do, post about celebrity gossip. The more names of celebrities you can drop the better. But if you want a specific audience, think about what that audience is interested in. And accept that your target audience is going to be smaller than the one for celeb news.

kevin the wolf

Registered
Reaction score
Now thats good advice Polenth. I fucking needed that like a Brad Pitt to the back of the head.

In all seriousness I am very grateful you shared that. Choose your audience and write to them.