PDA

View Full Version : Book recommendations?

SaronaNalia
01-17-2012, 11:42 PM
I was just thinking, and I realized I can hardly think of any books that I like with non-white protagonists. I would like to change that, so I'm looking for some recommendations. I would especially appreciate any recommendations that are young adult, but other stuff is good too.

Kitty Pryde
01-18-2012, 12:21 AM
Check out the "diversity in ya" blog, they cover basically every new release with a character of color. Some YA favorites of mine: Dia Reeves, Malinda Lo, Cindy Pon, Walter Dean Myers, Padma Venkatraman, Shyam Selvadurai, Nation by Terry Pratchett, Flygirls (omg this book is so underappreciated!), Alex Sanchez, Tomas Mournian, "She's So Money" (dumb title, great book), just off the top of my head.

Unimportant
01-18-2012, 03:12 AM
Sarona, what genre do you prefer to read?

LadyLex
01-20-2012, 05:21 AM
If you like historical romance, try Beverly Jenkins. I'm doing a series about my favorite BJ books on my blog. And I was never a fan of historical romance before I ran across her book, Indigo.

Kitty27
01-20-2012, 07:41 AM
LA Banks
Tananarive Due

thebloodfiend
01-20-2012, 08:08 AM
Octavia Butler - adult sci-fi
An Na - ya contemp
Cynthia Kadohata - ya/mg contemp
Jordon Sonnenblick wrote Zen and the Art of Faking It, which has a Chinese MC.

There are more, but I'm lazy.

Kitty Pryde
01-20-2012, 08:14 AM
I'm reading a crazy good one right now--Akata Witch by Nnedi Okorafor. I read two other books by her (one MG, and one adult) and they were also excellent. Also I wish she would write many more books.

thebloodfiend
01-20-2012, 08:16 AM
I'm reading a crazy good one right now--Akata Witch by Nnedi Okorafor. I read two other books by her (one MG, and one adult) and they were also excellent. Also I wish she would write many more books.

Is she the one who won the HP Lovecraft thing and found out about his "poem" after she put the trophy in her den?

Kitty Pryde
01-20-2012, 08:40 AM
Yep, that's the lady!

LadyLex
01-20-2012, 07:51 PM
Octavia Butler - adult sci-fi
An Na - ya contemp
Cynthia Kadohata - ya/mg contemp
Jordon Sonnenblick wrote Zen and the Art of Faking It, which has a Chinese MC.

There are more, but I'm lazy.

I've heard Octavia Butler is awesome! I actually picked up her book, Kindred, from the library.

Sea Witch
01-20-2012, 08:05 PM
Alexander McCall Smith: The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency is the first of a series of books that takes place in Botswana, and almost all the characters are POC.

They are fabulous and unusual books written with a lot of humor. He grew up in Rhodesia and knows the culture well.

HarryHoskins
01-21-2012, 02:05 AM
Not really Young Adult, but all very accessible and smart. :)

Midnight's Children - Salman Rushdie

White Teeth - Zadie Smith

The God of Small Things - Arundhati Roy

Things Fall Apart - Chinua Achebe

Valdez Is Coming - Elmore Leonard

The last of these, coincidentally, you can win by entering the AW Western Contest. :)

SaronaNalia
01-22-2012, 05:56 PM
Thanks guys! I'll start looking up some of these titles/authors.

Mayfield
01-22-2012, 06:11 PM
Oh, for YA, 47 by Walter Mosley is excellent.

missesdash
01-22-2012, 11:49 PM
This is such a wide question for me. It's like asking for non-white musicians.

totopink
01-23-2012, 02:19 AM
Marolie Blackman's always the first person who springs to mind with me

aruna
01-23-2012, 10:19 AM
a couple of my favourites; but adult, not YA:

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie - Her books Purple Hibiscus and Half of a Yellow Sun won major prizes and are just wonderful -- set in Nigeria. Her short stories are also very good.

Rohinton Mistry: A Fine Balance and Family Matters. Just love those books.

And of course you can always try the novels of Sharon Maas;) They may be out of print but still available as used copies.