Well-known Cleveland MSM columnist disses blogs

Richard

13th Triskaidekaphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcobbett.co.uk
His argument might hold slightly more sway if he wasn't stupid enough to confuse blogging and Wikipedia, two things that have precisely nothing to do with each other beyond both being produced by people with computers.

mommie4a

Mother of All Addictions
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jillmillerzimon.com
Richard said:
His argument might hold slightly more sway if he wasn't stupid enough to confuse blogging and Wikipedia, two things that have precisely nothing to do with each other beyond both being produced by people with computers.

Good point, Richard. Thanks. And, in fact, that confusion shows exactly why folks should be dipping their feet into new media, so they CAN tell the difference, for themselves and for when they describe it to others. Just this morning I proposed figuring out how to use open source software for revising a constitution. (I have NO clue about that, but am willing to learn.)

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
someplace around here, anyone seen my keys?
I discovered today that Daily Kos uses a Wiki on his site for collaborative postings. I really want to learn more about wikis. Just haven't had the time to really dig - but I'm fascinated...

Richard

13th Triskaidekaphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcobbett.co.uk
Wikis are useful, but you need three things - a subject worth collaborating on, a userbase to collaborate with, and a userbase that can watch out for *******s defacing things. The fact that you can repair damage doesn't stop having to do so being a complete pain.

mommie4a

Mother of All Addictions
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jillmillerzimon.com
I know this is morphing - do we have or need a thread on wikis?? My situation? We're trying to revise an ancient constitution for my synagogue. Lots of people on the review committee with a lot of different ideas. I'd love to see us be able to post up the constitution somewhere and work on it in an open source way. Is that the idea? Or am I confusing things?

Richard

13th Triskaidekaphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcobbett.co.uk
You could do it with a wiki, but they're better off for sites full of information rather than individual documents (the power isn't so much the editing as the on-the-fly creation of information). For your kind of project, try this: http://www.writeboard.com

Tracks changes between versions, compares them on screen, everything's stamped by both date and user, it's extremely to use, requires no installation, isn't public facing, and is completely free. Spits out the final document as text or HTML ready for you to style up for sending out or printing (which is all you'd get from most wikis anyway).

Last edited:

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
someplace around here, anyone seen my keys?
Mommie, you started the thread so if it morphs then I'm ok as long as you are. ;)

If you go hijack someone else's thread to talk wikis I might feel differently. :)

I have no objection, either, to a new thread about wikis and other online collaborative stuff. Seems to be close enough to blogging to be ok here. I mean, what other forum *would* it go to?

mommie4a

Mother of All Addictions
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jillmillerzimon.com
Thanks everyone for the info. I have a lot to learn (duh). Dawno, a thread about wikis and a separate one about open source seems logical. I think wikis could go in the blog forum though, right?