Where do I belong?

Vedren

Banned
Reaction score
Ya know, as I browse this forum, I honestly don't see a big market for my kind of work--if any at all. Actually, none. So, where do I stand?

What genre of work do I have?
Where should I be?
How should I market my work?

I write urban fiction. But what is that? I write about romance, but it features Blacks & Hispanics. Would it just be considered Romance or Fiction Life (Whatever), or would it be Urban Fiction?

I'm lost. Please help.
Oh, also wrote one Hood book. Won't even dare to bring that here. Hehehe!

CChampeau

The ever absent-minded
Registered
Reaction score
Not familiar with the market side of things, but I can tell, IMO and from a philosophical point of view, African descent/Hispanic work should have a good following out there. Again, I'll leave it to the experts to detail what the market is like.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
That's a good question (although I suck at knowing genres, seriously, so I'm not much help).

Does your work feature the Romance elements readers always want in that genre? I know Happily Ever After is one I've heard.

Vedren

Banned
Reaction score
My books aren't always Happily Ever After. It's more True life events that involves partnership between two people (love).

dolores haze

international guttersnipe
Registered
Reaction score
My husband works in a school with mostly black and hispanic students. The females, in particular, read a lot of short novels that sound like the kind of thing you're writing. I'm no expert, but it seems like a small niche with loyal readers. I borrowed a couple to read. Wasn't my cup of tea, but my husband says they get bought, passed around and traded like crazy.

Take a look at the books you're reading in this genre. Who is publishing it? Make a list of the publishers.

Who is writing these books? Do the authors have websites/blogs?

If your romance ends happily ever after or, at least, happy for now, then it would be considered by romance publishers. If the characters are very young, there's probably some YA publishers who would consider it.

Hope this helps a little!

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Sounds like it could be contemporary fiction with strong romantic elements.

If you're asking for querying purposes, you can find books that strike you as similar in tone and direction and look to see if the author includes her agent in the acknowledgements, or check Publishers Marketplace for agents who sell to those houses.

Vedren

Banned
Reaction score
Sounds like it could be contemporary fiction with strong romantic elements.

If you're asking for querying purposes, you can find books that strike you as similar in tone and direction and look to see if the author includes her agent in the acknowledgements, or check Publishers Marketplace for agents who sell to those houses.

Thanks, this helps!