American Bank Account

Eternal

Registered
Reaction score
I am looking at uploading a few e-books, and have noticed that on KDP you need a set of bank details for each location you want the book to be available. I already have a UK account as I am English, I also have a Euro account as i now live in the Balaeric Islands, but i do not have a US account.

What would be the best way to do this, can I open a US dollor account in the country I reside, or does it need to be an account held on US soil.
If that is the case, could anyone recomend a US bank that does none residency accounts, also what your personal experience of the various ways are. Maybe there is a way around all of this, help please.

I am aware that I will need to start the ball rolling on getting my TIN sorted, but that is for a different post.

Pyekett

I need no hot / Words.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think there is a smooth way to do this yet internationally, but I port through a couple of different countries and have found some banks which have branches in both. HSBC is probably the most global at this point, and it does have branches in both the UK and the US.

I opened accounts in branches on both sides of the divide, and though I cannot merge the accounts, it is now pretty easy to electronically transfer funds between the two accounts. This is a relatively new ability for my bank, which is not HSBC.

You might start there. I'm sure someone will weigh in with more direct experience shortly.

Edit: Some more on HSBC, for what it's worth. By the way, I don't work for them, use them, or get any kickbacks. I just hear things about them in my circle. There are likely other options as well.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
What would be the best way to do this, can I open a US dollor account in the country I reside, or does it need to be an account held on US soil.

You can open an international account, but you'll be charged fees to have it. I think they are primarily business accounts. Talk to you own bank about it and see what they on offer.

If you bank doesn't charge you for depositing cheques in a different currency then I would just wait for the cheques.

Lots of banks do them, see below for a quick guide
[link removed upon request of linked site]

Last edited by a moderator:

Eternal

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

I was under the impression that on KDP you had to have the account details to sell in that region, and cheques wasn't an option. I could be wrong though, it has been known on very rare occasions.

I have accounts with HSBC already, so I will send them a query and see what they say.