A Time To Panic - Reading Tomorrow

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Okay. Now I panic. I agreed to a reading tomorrow night. When I was asked, I was thrilled. Then I put it out of my head knowing it would drive me crazy thinking about it. Now, at the last hour, I'm choosing what to read. That's not the problem. The problem is my public speaking abilities...they are virtually nill. I'm going to do it. I will probably have to tie 2 x 4s to my legs to stop my wobbling knees from giving out. I'm just in panic phase. I've done it before...several times...it just hits me the same way every time. I probably won't sleep tonight! Just venting...move along. (I have visions of Hardy standing beside me, saying, "This is another fine mess you've gotten us into!")

Cabinscribe

Often ignored by muses
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure you will do just fine!

You probably know all the standard tricks to feel at ease in front of a crowd; e.g., pretend everyone is in their underwear, or just focus on one person and speak to them.

I would suggest rehearsing your material today, and getting a good sleep tonight, and it will be over before you know it!

Good luck!
:Thumbs:

Cassie88

Make mine a double entendre
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
KTC, when I feel such panic, the voice inside my head keeps repeating... slow down, slow down....If I can follow that direction, along with some deep breathing, the panic usually drains away pretty quickly. Relax, have fun, you'll be great.

Cassie

Reaction score
Even Olivier got stage fright. Burton puked into a bucket before going onstage.

Then he discovered the joys of alcohol.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Thanks to all! Scarlett, are you suggesting maybe I should get sh*tfaced? lol. I will take the calming advice given by cabin and cassie and have a 26 ouncer of Jack on standby! (-;

Reaction score
Come now, Brother Poet. Would a Scot suggest you get bladdered?

HELL yeah! :ROFL:

(You'll be fabulous. I bet your poetry's sh!t but you're a looker, so that makes up for it).

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Now you're just cracking me up, Scarlett! I'll just get all vogued up then?

Reaction score
Show up naked, p!ssed, read a few dirty limericks then service a few ladies in the audience (I mean from the audience, but you can do it in the audience if you want). Job done. They'll ask you back no bother. Manwhore Poet, it's all about the Benjamins baby. :D

Paint

Warrior of Truth
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Standing at the precipitous cliff, believing I can
Website
www.shawnk.com
A costume or face mask is a fun way to beat panic. (I may use heavy makeup, it's all about the 'hiding') I get it too and then the minute I step up the actress in me comes out and I am on stage! Especially with poetry, the expectation is heavy drama. You have some really great poems to pick from here on this forum.
I am sure you will have fun. People really love it!
Cheers!
Paint

Reaction score
I think I've just discovered a new line of work for poets...Chippendales shmippendales! Strip Poetry!

*Da DAH da da da da you can leave your hat on*

threedogpeople

This is my BEST side!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
threedogpeople.blogspot.com
KTC - I have terrible performance anxiety.

I find that Xanex helps, as does chatting with the audience a little bit before I settle in to read or speak or sing. "Hello, everyone. Thanks for coming. I wrote this after....."

It helps me find my breath (I frequently am holding my breath) and helps me relax into a more "normal" state.

But, you are so eloquent that you'll do great!! Remember, they asked YOU to come and read.

Judy

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Thanks guys! Turns out I slept like a baby. I guess I only panic when my eyes are open. I think I'm ready. I took Cabin's advice and rehearsed. My walls seemed to enjoy it. I'll just jump right in and have fun with it...like I usually do.

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck! Let us know how it went.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Thanks PH! I will. I leave the house in an hour and I just found out I have more time on stage than I thought I had...this means more reading. The hardest part for me, besides stage fright, is choosing what I will read. Here I am with an 11th hour dilemma! Oh well, you have to go with the flow.

I will report back on the catastrophe. (-;

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Thanks guys...for listening to my whine.

I think it went great! I had lots of comments afterwards...most heard word, "Beautiful." That can't be all bad. I read 9 poems! Oy vey. The only thing I wish I could have changed was my inability to take my eyes from the page for long periods. I was so nervous, I focused mainly on actually reading the words. They seemed foreign to me as I read them...like I was reading them for the first time up there on stage! Judging from the audience response, though, it went well. Thanks for humoring my fears!

Reaction score
I have a public presentation to do next week, KTC and I find that though it makes me nervous, I force myself as each time it gets a little easier. Really. I just go up there and fake it (ho ho ho; I mean ACT confident). Failing that, picture your audience naked and sitting on the toilet.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Oh, they were naked last night...definitely. I hope you do well next week. The best of luck to you. I did exactly what you just said, I faked it. I just pretended I was this other person who does that sort of thing all the time. Good luck, Scarlett! And let us know how it goes too.

Reaction score
Well it's a 'talk' I'm doing in my place of worship. I shall make them shiver with pleasure!

Not to hijack a thread (for once) - so I shall get back on topic.

KTC, how's it hangin' dude? Give us a poem. Or as I call 'em, peoms.