What kind of car do you drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluejester12

I write and I wrong
Registered
Reaction score
Im shopping or a new one (hate this!) and was wondering what poeple drove, what they get for mileage, and basically what you think of the car.

Im looking at a Kia Spectra that gets 35 highway gpm, but it's more than I want to spend. I know thats good, but I'm wondering what averagre gpm is.

Thanks!

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
Heehee. Mine will only tell you what not to buy if you are going for economy. I drive a 4WD Explorer. I love it, mind you, but thrifty it is not.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I bought a famously unreliable brand (Mercury mystique) for the simple reason that it runs and is very cheap second hand ;)

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
93 Toyota extended cab pickup. I love it. I wouldn't trade it for ANY thing. I did sell my 03 Chevy ZR-5. Loved the heated leather seats; hated the gas mileage.

Go Toyota! You could make a commercial out of me & mine. :Thumbs:

threedogpeople

This is my BEST side!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
threedogpeople.blogspot.com
Nissan Pathfinder (not great on gas mileage at 22 mpg) so we can take the dogs with us and pull our travel trailer when we go south.

Nissan Maxima (the second one that we've owned) totally reliable and a fantastic car. We sold the first one to a friend of ours, over 5 years ago, and he is still driving it. We get 28+ mpg, depending on who is driving (I'm a race car driver, my husband isn't).

Neither one of these were cheap but they are so reliable that we don't regret either purchase and they both have over 100k+ miles on them. Oh, plus, I was so "driving and riding paranoid" after my accident that I "had" to have a full size with side-impact airbags. The only mistake we made in buying these was that we didn't get heated seats on the Pathfinder. Leather seats in the winter can be mighty cold up here.

three seven

(Graeme Cameron)
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
bluejester12 said:
Im looking at a Kia Spectra that gets 35 highway gpm, but it's more than I want to spend. I know thats good, but I'm wondering what averagre gpm is.
As a general tip, look for mpg rather than gpm (unless you're buying an airliner).

I've got a Ford Mondeo (Contour) - not very interesting, but tirelessly reliable and good fun to drive.

Actually, that's not true. I mean, the Mondeo is a good car, but mine's an utter heap of sh*t. It's got dents in most of the panels, the suspension's knackered, the cambelt's about to go, the heater's faulty and the exhaust's held on with a bit of rope. It's never failed to start and it gets me where I'm going, but that ain't enough to get it through an MOT so I'm getting a new one for Christmas.

Mind you, I only paid £100 for it and it's lasted 9 months so I can hardly complain...

bluejester12

I write and I wrong
Registered
Reaction score
three seven said:
As a general tip, look for mpg rather than gpm (unless you're buying an airliner).

Not surprised at all to find out I got that backwards.

Whats an average mpg?

EDIT: I'm curious why 40+ people looked at this obviously titled thread and didnt reply :idea:

Last edited:

MadScientistMatt

Empirical Storm Trooper
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madscientistmatt.blogspot.com
I drive a 2000 Ford Focus hatchback. It seems to usually get around 28 mpg for my daily commute, which is mostly on rural back roads. And it's a pretty cheap car to buy. I've owned this one for a little under a year and racked up about 10,000 miles, and even though the ones from 2000 have a notoriously long list of recalls, nothing's broken on it except a flat tire. I even raced it in an autocross once - it was pretty fun, but I'd need some good tires to be competative.

There's also a 1966 Dodge Dart that I'm trying to put back on the road. You can read more about that in my blog. Not recommended if you want gas mileage. :)

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
I currently drive a 2000 Cadillac Deville, in a deep red, without all the tacky gold trim. I love it but my next car will *not* be a caddy. Why not? Well, for one, the power windows have been nothing but trouble, with the various gears breaking a total of 8 times now. Talk about shoddy workmanship on American cars.

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I drive a Toyota Sienna minivan, my husband a Toyota extended cab pick-up, and my son a Toyota Camry. These cars are NEVER in the shop (unlike previously owned American and European brands). Mileage varies but is comparable to similar sized cars (I get about 26 mpg with the minivan).

When I stop hauling kids and cargo around, I hope someday to trade in the minivan for a cute little Lexus convertible (also put out by Toyota). I, too, could do a commercial for Toyota :)...

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
2000 Saab 9-3 turbo, black. It's fast, handles like a dream, and has been very reliable. I love it more than any other car I've ever had but it's hitting that point where it needs a few minor repairs every year and they're a bugger on your checking account. I'm going to need a new muffler soon (in the next year or so) and it's going to cost 400 just for Saab parts... BLAH! We might be trading it in soon.

ETA: Oh yeah. Highway: 35 City: 25

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
bluejester12 said:
EDIT: I'm curious why 40+ people looked at this obviously titled thread and didnt reply :idea:

well, since you put it that way...I thought you were asking for curiosity's sake, in which case, I was going to answer, "None. I don't know how to drive." But since you were shopping for a new car, I didn't think you would care. :)

henriette

Registered
Reaction score
1972 VW van, complete with kitchen and pull out bed.

it is only driven in the summer, on the weekends. currently it is hibernating.

i do not have a driver's license so i am relegated to navigator, and i like it that way. :)

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
To be honest, my husband and I are in pretty serious need of different vehicles. I say different instead of new because while brand new vehicles would be nice, we would certainly be just as thrilled with used vehicles.

My husband drives a Chevy and I drive an Olds. Both vehicles have way over 100K miles and both vehicles were damaged pretty good by the F-3 tornado that blew our neighborhood away in the year 2000.

Fortunately the damage was only cosmetic and it did not render our vehicles a total loss. Because our vehicles were old, the insurance did not pay much to cover the cost of cosmetic repairs.

Instead of fixing the damage to our cars (which would have cost more than what insurance paid) we decided to drive them as is. We added the insurance money we obtained for the vehicles to the insurance money we obtained for what was left of our home and used it to purchase and move into our current home.

As of now, we drive our current vehicles on a wing and a prayer.

Something under the hood of my car caught on fire the other day and whatever it was has caused my heater to barely work. What little heat it does put out smells like burned rubber. My car shakes and makes funny noises and cuts out despite having been worked on many times.

The brakes on my husbands truck are messed up and he puts a container of break fluid in it every time he has to drive it to work. There are several things wrong with his truck. My car, despite being a complete wreck, is the better of the two vehicles.

We have given up on getting them repaired because the auto repair bills were getting as bad as medical bills and yet the vehicles continue to fall apart.

At this time, we can not afford to purchase used vehicles. Until such time as we are able to, we don't go anywhere other than to work, or the grocery store or to doctor apts. We do no extra driving at all and we pray that our vehicles will hold out for a little while longer.

So far so good. :)

Gehanna

MadScientistMatt

Empirical Storm Trooper
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madscientistmatt.blogspot.com
Saritams8 said:
2000 Saab 9-3 turbo, black. It's fast, handles like a dream, and has been very reliable. I love it more than any other car I've ever had but it's hitting that point where it needs a few minor repairs every year and they're a bugger on your checking account. I'm going to need a new muffler soon (in the next year or so) and it's going to cost 400 just for Saab parts... BLAH! We might be trading it in soon.

ETA: Oh yeah. Highway: 35 City: 25

Saab repairs are pretty notorious for their prices and difficulty. If I were in your shoes, I'd have a local muffler shop put on a generic muffler instead of bothering with genuine Saab parts. Much cheaper that way.

three seven

(Graeme Cameron)
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
That's why I buy so many Fords. I've never had one break down, regardless of what I've thrown at them; the Cologne V6'll get you to the moon and back and never, ever go bang; and when bits fall off they're a couple of quid to replace. And my eight year old daughter could fix a Scorpio.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
I've had a Honda Civic for nearly 5 years and am very satisfied. It's had some mishaps so a couple of things are too broken to be fixed (like the car window that won't budge) but that was because of my son and his many accidents during his first year of driving. And yes, he's calmed down now.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I drive a 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan, which is just barely large enough with 3 seats removed to transport college students and possessions to and from. (One kid's Peavy amp, the other kid's massive music collection... both enormous.) I wanted a Toyota Sienna, BTW, but the dealer had a waiting list. (My car had been totalled and I couldn't wait my turn.) I've had assorted minivans since the kids were babies and they've all been fairly reliable, little shop time, only one breakdown in 20 years. The cargo capacity is excellent, if you need it, but the mileage is not great. I do like being somewhat higher than passenger cars.

Mr. Maryn finally had to replace the 1991 Toyota Camry which flapped in the wind, the body was that rusted, when the entire break system corroded beyond repair. He bought a Volvo and loves it only slightly less than he loves me. I only love its heated seats. It gets good mileage, though, about 35 mpg, and has needed no repairs in its almost-two-years, just maintenance.

My friend bought a Saturn which seems to need repair constantly, for what it's worth.

Maryn, who doesn't care about cars, really

kathompson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kathompson.blogspot.com
I have a 2003 Chrysler Sebring convertible, love it, got it used at CarMax for 3 grand under blue book...and it gets about 25 mpg. Next time I need a car, I'm going back to CarMax. In fact, I might just get some pompoms and become a CarMax cheerleader ;)

My Spouse Thingy has a 2003 Mazda Protege and it's a zippy, spiffy fun car to drive. He does mostly freeway drivng and is getting 32+ mpg. Our son has a 2001 Protege and with almost 75000 miles on it, he's still getting 28-30 mpg. Too bad they stopped making the Protege...

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
1999 Saturn SL1 wagon with a 5-speed manual transmission. 50 mpg AVERAGE, but over 90% of my driving is on the highway. (Tell me why the Toyota Prius getting only 10mpg more than that for three times the price is something to do cartwheels over. When those hybrids start getting 80+mpg, then I'll be impressed.)

My Saturn runs like a top, gets superb mileage when driven gently, has had no major repairs of any kind, and I'm about 500km short of 120,000km on the odometer.

eldragon

in a van down by the river
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
2003 Mitsubishi Outlander. I like the car (little suv) alot, but don't ever finance it through Mitsubishi!

High payments .................that go on for years. By the time you are right side up, your car isn't worth anything.

cool_st_elizabeth

Last person who isn't on Facebook
Registered
Reaction score
A 1995 Ford Aerostar which we bought on eBay in 2001. It had over 200,000 miles on it then ... we've had to have some work done on it, but it's still running very well. I'm not the driver, and I left the buying and repair decisions up to my husband.

Status
Not open for further replies.