SOPA Strike

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
I have not heard if the Cooler is going dark, but I recently read that Obama does not plan on signing the act...

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
I wish Obama were more explicit about that. What he's said is better than before, but not where I want it to be.

Obama Administration said:
So, rather than just look at how legislation can be stopped, ask yourself: Where do we go from here? Don’t limit your opinion to what’s the wrong thing to do, ask yourself what’s right

There's nothing on that page stating that Obama will veto SOPA, PIPA, or the less well-covered OPEN. If anything, the bit above sounds like very minimally disguised hedging to me.

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
Well, nothing like a little extra encouragement for him to veto it. XD Besides, the bill doesn't get voted on until the 24th, so there's always the chance that we can help convince the House/Senate not to support it and kill it before it gets to Obama. Gotta set a precedent, you know? I figure that's why the strike is still happening, even with Obama saying he won't sign it.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
I hope you're right, thothguard. Even more so you, DragonHeart.

But based on the President's own statements on "his" Web site, I've got real reason for concern.

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There is another thread that was started on SOPA a while back here.

Craigslist has put up a page about it, which has many links on it including where members of Congress stand on SOPA. Well worth checking out. Craigslist about SOPA

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
I haven't actually made a decision about the forums going dark on the 18th -- although the front page/blog will.

Now with SOPA shelved at least temporarily, I'm leaning towards leaving the forums live, because it seems to me that having a place where a large and vibrant international community can meet and talk about stuff is more valuable than the symbolic gesture.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Errrmmmm..... I understand that this is important. But it would be nice if we non-Americans were included in the decision. Seeing as we are also part of the community.

MacAllister

Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Mirandashell - as the site owner (and the person who will have to personally deal with the legal ramifications of SOPA and PIPA as they affect AW, should either pass -- including facing possible felony charges) I'm the one who will ultimately be making the decision.

But we've got a couple of threads going right now, including this one, specifically so the members of the community, both Americans and non-Americans, can participate.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Sorry, Mac. I wasn't trying to say that it wasn't your decision. Apologies if I gave that impression.

My point is that on the current threads, there aren't many non-Americans involved. Possibly because we don't know what SOPA or PIPA are as they are American nearly-laws.

And the title is not very revealing to people who don't follow the American news.

So if you do close the board on the 18th, it will come as a big shock to a lot of people.

MacAllister

Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Gotcha -- not to worry. Our international membership is why I hadn't already made or announced a decision, anyway. But now with SOPA unlikely to go to a vote, I do not expect the forums will be going offline.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Mac, SOPA and PIPA are not only concerning Americans, they are concerning all the cybernauts around the globe, believe me.

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
MaxMordon is right. The way the bill is written, SOPA means that any website anywhere in the world can be shut down.

SOPA concerns the entire world population.

You know I'm not an American, but I still support quashing SOPA and doing a blackout as a gesture against SOPA.

Of course, the decision is still and always will be yours.

MacAllister

Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Max, Laurie, you're both absolutely correct, of course. Laws like this will break the internet worldwide, in practice. That's very much something of international concern.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Max, Laurie, you're both absolutely correct, of course. Laws like this will break the internet worldwide, in practice. That's very much something of international concern.

Interestingly, many people have seen this as something of a XXI Century Imperialism since the US government is pretty much proclaiming they own the Internet and have a right to regulate it. All. Of. It.

Don't tell me that doesn't sound freaking scary to you.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Actually... it is fucking cheeky of the American government to think they control the internet.

Imperialist or what?

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you want to know where the people in the congress got the idea to do this, "follow the money trail."