Question about submission

LloydBrown

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lloydwrites.com
Okay, maybe this is a remedial question, but I guess the issue just fell through the cracks for me.

If a publisher's guidelines say they don't accept unsolicited mss, then you can still send a query. Otherwise, it's okay to submit the entire ms. Essentially, your successful query letter earns you a solicitation?

I assume entries through the two methods go into different stacks, though, right? The unsolicited mss become the slush pile, while the queried works become another pile?

I'm currently trying to sell a non-fiction work, and I understand that NF works with a proposal instead of a query. I have one, but it could use a tune-up before I send it out. Is there anything substantially different about the process with NF other than that?

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Okay, maybe this is a remedial question, but I guess the issue just fell through the cracks for me.

If a publisher's guidelines say they don't accept unsolicited mss, then you can still send a query.

Correct.

Otherwise, it's okay to submit the entire ms.

If the guidelines don't say NO, it's generally yes.

Essentially, your successful query letter earns you a solicitation?

Also correct.

I assume entries through the two methods go into different stacks, though, right?

Nope. They go into the same stack at most publishers. Agents might be a bit different though.

The unsolicited mss become the slush pile, while the queried works become another pile?

A query is ALSO unsolicited. If your query nets a request for the manuscript, then it becomes a SOLICITED manuscript, which should be prominently marked on the outer envelope "REQUESTED BY [insert name]." This way, your requested ms. doesn't wind up with the other slush.

I'm currently trying to sell a non-fiction work, and I understand that NF works with a proposal instead of a query. I have one, but it could use a tune-up before I send it out. Is there anything substantially different about the process with NF other than that?

Not that I'm aware of. Obviously, follow the guidelines as to what they want. Sometimes, it's just a query; other times it's a query and proposal, or even a query, proposal and outline.

Does that help?

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Hi LloydBrown,
Cathy covered it all quite well. One of the most important components of a nf proposal is to include the competition and why yours is different or better, and then offer a realistic plan for promoting the book on your end--the publisher will certainly have a marketing/promotion/publicity plan, but will expect the author to participate. I receive proposals all the time that say, "there's no book out there like mine," when of course there are books out there like theirs. Do some decent research before submitting your proposal--competition for a nf book is a good thing, not a bad one.
Good luck!

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Nomad makes an excellent point! Take the time in a bookstore or the library, or even on Amazon, to find as many of the competing books as possible. You shouldn't be afraid of naming the competition, because your book is intended to be DIFFERENT from them. Here's how we did the competition section of a self-help divorce book, and although it was rejected as being too similar to another book in their line, the editor was quite glowing about how we did this section of the proposal:

2. Name: Divorce for Dummies
Author(s): John Ventura & Mary Reed
Publisher: IDG Books Worldwide
ISBN: 0764550586
Copyright: 1998
Similarities: Layman’s language, Lighthearted attitude, glossary and cross reference, some checklists for budgeting and assets
Unique Differences: Interactive NCR calendars, pockets to hold documents, more extensive checklists for all phases of divorce and after, detailed instructions of how to perform the tasks this competing book suggests, such as finding hidden assets of the spouse.

LloydBrown

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lloydwrites.com
Nomad said:
Hi LloydBrown,
Cathy covered it all quite well. One of the most important components of a nf proposal is to include the competition and why yours is different or better,

Define "competition." My book pertains to retail sales within a specific field under the umbrella of specialty retail. I worked in this field for 5 years, and the only book I know of is a self-published little nothing. Mine is better in every head-to-head except for the author's credentials.

Now as far as specialty retail in general, I do mention those books, but I point out how generic they are and how detailed my own information is.

I think my marketing plan is good. Maybe not great, but solid. I mention specific trade shows that potential customers attend, my intention to promote the book there, potential reviewers for ARCs, and even parts of the country where the book should sell better than others. I describe my target demographic and how this book helps him reach his goals (yeah, he's a guy).

I also mention that I intend to support it with a website with additional content (to keep the material current), discussion boards and downloads--especially business spreadsheets. Good?

Last edited:

LloydBrown

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lloydwrites.com
Cathy C said:
Nomad makes an excellent point! Take the time in a bookstore or the library, or even on Amazon, to find as many of the competing books as possible. You shouldn't be afraid of naming the competition, because your book is intended to be DIFFERENT from them.

How many specific titles did you name for your comparison, Cathy? I think I've seen this section of one of your proposals before, in another discussion we had on this, and your discussion was pretty in-depth.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
I listed nine titles (I don't think I included every one in the one I posted here. It seemed a bit . . . overkill for the purpose of the post... ;) )

As for which competition to list, you should list any books that deal with a) the specific TYPE of retail sales (i.e., specialty gift stores, if that were your subject) and b) any titles that deal with retail sales as a whole (which allows you to show why your book is more focused.) There are TONS of books about retail sales, so you'll just have to find the ones that have SOME information-- whether a chapter or a section -- about your topic (such as security measures in malls, etc.)

Does that make sense?

LloydBrown

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lloydwrites.com
Cathy C said:
I listed nine titles (I don't think I included every one in the one I posted here. It seemed a bit . . . overkill for the purpose of the post... ;) )

As for which competition to list, you should list any books that deal with a) the specific TYPE of retail sales (i.e., specialty gift stores, if that were your subject) and b) any titles that deal with retail sales as a whole (which allows you to show why your book is more focused.) There are TONS of books about retail sales, so you'll just have to find the ones that have SOME information-- whether a chapter or a section -- about your topic (such as security measures in malls, etc.)

Does that make sense?

I did both a) and b). Again, I think I'm in good shape. In my comparison, I tried to give brief but concrete details why my book is better. I just hope I didn't make it brief at the expense of making my point.

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Lloyd,
Sounds like your proposal is solid--it also sounds like your book is very niche, so I would recommend that you pitch to publishers who focus on niche business books rather than general nf trade, since your market is so targeted. Good luck!

LloydBrown

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lloydwrites.com
I can't imagine that any of the larger houses will want it, so I see no fault with your reasoning there.

I actually have one small-press publisher interested (well, 3, but one has clearly superior resources to the other two); at this point, I'm trying to shop it around for a better offer.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
I don't know that I agree that a big name wouldn't want it. You might try Adams Media's new Platinum Press imprint, which replaced their "Street Smart" line of books. They're not a mega publisher, but a pretty good sized medium publisher with lots of titles each month.

I think there are an awful lot of small retail store owners in the country who your book might appeal to.

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Cathy C said:
I don't know that I agree that a big name wouldn't want it. You might try Adams Media's new Platinum Press imprint, which replaced their "Street Smart" line of books. They're not a mega publisher, but a pretty good sized medium publisher with lots of titles each month.

I think there are an awful lot of small retail store owners in the country who your book might appeal to.

I was actually thinking of really big biz publishers like McGraw-Hill, who focus on much more mainstream stuff. Adams Media would be a great first choice.

LloydBrown

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lloydwrites.com
Cathy C said:

That's awesome. Somehow I missed them in my WM online search.

I claim about 2,500 existing stores that carry the majority of the product I describe and at least 10,000 more with some product overlap or very similar interest. In the overall scheme of things, is that "a lot"?

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Queries

Just keep in mind that many of the large publishers not only won't look at unsolicited manuscripts, they also won't read unsolicited queries. They simply will not deal with anyone except agents. Any unsolicited manuscripts or queries that come in are either returned unopened, or are just tossed.

When a publisher says "agented submissions only," they usually mean it, and anything you send them, manuscript or query, will be returned or tossed.

Good agents nearly always have their submissions separated from any and all other submissions. Material from good agents usually goes straght to a high placed editor, and all else is handled by an assistant, and usually treated as slush.

It's also true that most of the large publishers who will look at unsolited queries still never buy anything from writers who have no agent. Just because they look does not mean they have any intention of buying. There are publishers out there who reqest unsolicited queries, and even unsolicited partials, but that haven't bought a single thing from an unagented writer in decades.