The Triple-Tickle Tripartite Inter-Forum Cryptic Crossword Challenge!

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, Hello. :)

How lovely to have the people of the Western Forum popping in to have a look-see. There couldn't be a cleverer, soberer, better spelling and more attractive bunch in the whole forum. So let me welcome you to the here that is the right here, here.

And where is here?

Well, you happen to find yourself in the most interesting of threads; one that shall entertain, bamboozle and hopefully charge your cleverness glands with excitement. What you gots here is an inter-forum challenge. A crossword of most devious and nefarious naughtiness set by a man who comes from the Isle of Scilly and would like to engage your thought receptors in some thinking type fun.

But whatever does it mean?

Why, allow me to explain -- The cryptic crossword you can find below has been posted in three forums [The Office Party, The Whimsical Pursuits & The Western Forum] and the idea is that you are now in a rather marvelous and gentle competition with the regular users of the other forums to solve the puzzle.

Solve the puzzle, you say?

Yes, solve the puzzle. Answer as a forum team, working out the clues, getting the answers, discovering the theme and generally having a good old time by working those little grey cells you tried to think you'd lost over the xmas period. But remember, no peeking at the other forums threads!

But whats in it for me, you ask!

I cannot help but answer a question asked with such vigor! What's in it for you is a pat on the back, some fun and the sub-forum crown of first to complete the puzzle! You might even find something interesting to write about through a subtle process of crosswordism.

You get the idea? Good.

So, without further ado ...

Over to you. :)

solution.png

DOWN

1 – A short saint joins a cute alien and is closely followed by a boy child – if you don’t get this I’ll eat my hat! (7)

2 – The day the countdown stops -- Sometime after Sunday and before Tuesday. (7,3,9)

3 – Snowy heathens jet crazily in search of melodic material found in a film star’s dentures. (4,6,5)

4 – Nom de plume employed by a Peckinpah character. You may call him Timmy or Zimmy or Tommy if the police are around. (5)

5 – Horse found near area of water mostly enclosed by land. (3)

6 – Stereotypically colorful greeting meets Jewish person who’s apt to play it again – casual racism only ever creates a cartoon character. (8,3)

9 – Blimey! Prefix joins tarty computer. Space now. Then a short cricket club follows, adds a municipality in Schwyz District of Switzerland and ends in a brief question – wrote author without speech marks. (6,8)

11 – Listen, if Davey Crockett could hear a boundary by smell alone he’d have one of these where his nose should be. (8)

12 – Writer interested in the solitude of a peaceful bird. (5,8)

14 – Sheriff of the important parts. Those parts being the top section of a snooker table, a French meat product, a singular sound made at the dentist, and a Norton-esque exclamation. A pretty good fella. (8)

15 – Chilli beans, gasoline, leather and a spark from a one who created an awful Producer may cause western comedy. (7, 7)

16 – Brief regards to sight links one to midget saint and means everything that has gone before is up for future examination. (11)

18 – French king of love wrote westerns. (5,6)

20 – Normal genre from the orient? The opposite, in fact. (5,4)

21 – Eh, you – say in a northern accent? It’s found in them there hills, precious. (4)

22 – A type of car which one can drink in. (6)

23 – Place where Lovejoy may swear at an impotent phallus. (8)

24 – The reverse of a reverse. May be found in Annie Proulx, out on the range or at a sci-fi deck. (6)

27 – Merseybeat via the American west. You looking for me? Well I'm the only man in the doorway. (3,9)

28 – Something for Bent Nailers to aim at? You know it’s missed or you'd hear more boings. (8)

30 – Shot an American drink due to extra MDMA. (7)

31 – A dead place made from an escarpment of cobblers off-cuts? (8)

34 – The Ferret came from one, the Chihuahua limps on one -- a reversal of how some get online. (3)

36 – Ritchie? Christ, no! A gunfighter! Christ, Yes! (5)

Across

7 – One who stomps around hoping to get wet with an early cult, say? (9)

8 – Place where shortened heads up display may give character clue – young blue eyes’ dressing? (5)

10 – A virgin (short) saying. Proclamation of the benefits of happiness in the face of adversity to a comrade. Wistful? Almost. (5,4,3,3,4,7)

13 – Amphetamine led to definite article ending child outlaw. (5,3,3)

17 – Author takes communist Sesame Street cutesy, pauses, then adds a singing Sayer, sodium, and a short road to make himself complete. (6,7)

19 – Wild cat is one helluva critter! (4)

24 – Trousers posh men cottage in? Add tea to a letters afterthought. (5)

25 – Upside-down outlaw found in iron before arrest? (3,5)

26 – Short pleasure button with part of equation pushed into it leads to small forest opposite of west – he could well have starred in a Rawhide. (5, 8)

29 – I heard Missus right’s other half uses them to kick his team. (5)

32 – Leader journalist went with when jumping out of plane. (8)

33 – Maid’s zinc glove upset Burt Lancaster's sexual movements to become film and book. ( 6,2,6)

35 – Director of whores’ company finds crossing in river. (4,4)

37 – Noble savage sees self in gunship? The Pope, Rousseau and Boeing are to blame, not me. (6)

38 – The last of Titanic actor Billy is neither black or white when written by this author. (4,4)
*For clue 38 the second to last letter is an A (although its meant to be an E) Mea culpa, there is no in vino veritas -- just spelling mistakes.*

39 – Something to pull on when riding can be found in bare investigation. (4)

40 – Actor Bruce joins some of Jean Claude and finally finds himself eaten by a British cross reference. (3,3,5)

41 – Where one who created an expensive stalker may find himself after killing a genre with a titular western film. (7,4)

:)

Last edited:

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Can I play for the wrong forum? I'm typically a party girl, but I desperately want to go westernfor this thread. Pretty please?

You choose your forum, FP. I'm a thinking western could do with all the help they can get -- especially as I know how terrible the clues are. :)

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
At the moment things are not looking good. :(

I say that in honesty. I say that because I am your friend. Your mentor. We've had some lovely maneuvering from Office party. Our ranks have been swelled in the glamor and wonderfulness stakes by FP. But we've gotta catch up. Office party are way out ahead!

This cannot stand, Westerners!

I say to all of you, all you lovely and marvelous fellas and fellowesses, all you need to do is look as this crossword -- just have a little peek -- let your mind work the theme and start guessing!

It ain't hard -- one could even say its a crossword made for y'all (though, of course, I shall deny that in a court of law and am confident there is no way this statement could possibly get to the other side.)

So! Once more (or at least 'first time') into the breach my friends!

We are western! We stand united and therefore fall over together! But we stand too! Yes! We stand too!

Onwards! :)

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Current standing in the Leaderboards. :)

OFFICE PARTY - 16

WHIMSY & PROMPTS - 0

WESTERN - 0

Still all to play for, but at the moment Office Party have shot into an early lead. :)

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

OFFICE PARTY - 18

WHIMSY & PROMPTS - 7

WESTERN - 0

Whimsey mounting a comeback! Western yet to rise again! Still all to play for, but at the moment Office Party are still out in front. :)

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

OFFICE PARTY - 19

WHIMSY & PROMPTS - 13

WESTERN - 0

Whimsy putting the pressure on! Western still sitting on the porch considering the sunset! Still all to play for, Office Party in front but their lead is being eaten into! :)

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Current standing in the Leaderboards at bedtime (taking into account mybadselfs spelling mistake). :)

OFFICE PARTY - 19

WHIMSY & PROMPTS - 14

WESTERN - 1

Due to my error in the spelling of answer #38 I have had to put [misspelling included so as not to skew the grid] it into the crosswords of each forum.

The answer to # 38 was Zane Grey but should now appear in your semi-completed grids as Zane Gray.

Whilst Office Party had already guessed this clue, I think it only fair that all forums have the clue filled in. So, everyone (save Office Party) moves up one. Hopefully, no one minds this too much and takes into account my poor, booze addled brain and my big heart when thinking of nasty names to call me -- if you can't think of an appropriate term with which to insult me, I rather like slormgorm. :)

With all that said, there is some good news to come out of the oops. The western forum -- whose cool in the face of the triple-tickle crossword competition is truly something to behold -- are now off the mark!

So, on to day two of the competition. Office Party still out front, Whimsy starting to snap at their heels and Western getting up from the rocker, stretching, sitting down, getting up to scratch, then sitting down again.

Good luck all and apologies for the mistake. :)

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Current Sunday standings in the Leaderboards. :)

OFFICE PARTY - 20

WHIMSY & PROMPTS - 14

WESTERN - 1

Western are either plotting a big finish or taking their historical re-enactment of the literacy rates of 1870 very seriously indeed. Whimsy have stalled -- perhaps to take a flight of fancy -- and Office Party are still in the lead with the aid of a beloved!

All to play for, folks. Can Whimsy close the gap to Office Party? Is the Western forum currently undertaking a sponsored silence? The answers to these questions are in your hands dear reader. :)

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Current January The Sixteenth standings in the Leaderboards. :)

OFFICE PARTY - 23

WHIMSY & PROMPTS - 14

WESTERN - 1

Western last seen heading out with the Donner Party! Concerns about the whereabouts of Whimsy growing! Office Party capitalizing on lead!

All still to play for, folks. :)

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Current day after January The Sixteenth standings in the Leaderboards. :)

OFFICE PARTY - 26

WHIMSY & PROMPTS - 14

WESTERN - 1

Western in the wilderness! Whimsy staring at clues with a bewildered face! Office Party stretching lead daily!

All still to play for, folks. :)

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Two days after January The Sixteenth, the standings in the Leaderboards are as follows. :)

OFFICE PARTY - 28

WHIMSY & PROMPTS - 14

WESTERN - 1

Western too busy writing? Whimsy lost their Lord Peter and going on guesses alone? Office Party out front with an unassailable lead?

All still to play for, folks? :)

J'Dubee

I make tall stories short
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jdubee.com
Sorry, Harry.
Crossword puzzles ain't for me...

If you have a Turkey Shoot or Guess the Showgirl's measurements contest...

I'm your man.

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, Harry.
Crossword puzzles ain't for me...

If you have a Turkey Shoot or Guess the Showgirl's measurements contest...

I'm your man.

Dagnabbit, JD -- you done let the cat out of the bag about me next two contests! :)

Still, just for fun, why not give it a go. The whole thing is western themed and a few of the clues are AW Western Forum specific.

Here's one I reckon you might could get with no problems at all. :)

19 Across – Wild cat is one helluva critter! (4)

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Harry, this ain't right.

*spit*

How in the world can a fish (Silver King) and his ilk be kicking butt in a Western crossword (unless, you know, it's that crossword puzzles weren't invented until the 20th century)?

I need to git the saloon folk workin' on solving this puppy. How do we get the word to you on what we've figured out?

eta: BTW, I've got 38 across nailed. :D

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Harry, this ain't right.

*spit*

How in the world can a fish (Silver King) and his ilk be kicking butt in a Western crossword (unless, you know, it's that crossword puzzles weren't invented until the 20th century)?

He's got the Mccardey, the Michelle, the Swachski, the Parametric and the Lilgreenbookworm working for him is how! :)

I need to git the saloon folk workin' on solving this puppy. How do we get the word to you on what we've figured out?

The idea is to post your answers and guesses in this here thread. If ya'll get it right you'll get a ding like a spittoon hit and the word will go into the grid. If ya'll get it wrong, you might could get a hint in the right direction. :)

Of course, you might be playing the dangerous long game and have all the answers already -- if this is this case, all you need do is post the answers before either Office Party

*spit*

or Whimsy

*Double spit*

complete the grid by posting the answers in their own forums threads. No peeking in each others threads is allowed. So your answers are safe here with me.

eta: BTW, I've got 38 across nailed. :D

Nices moves, Haggis. The nicest of moves! :)

Approximately 72 hours after January The Sixteenth, the standings in the Leaderboards are as follows. :)

OFFICE PARTY - 30/42

WHIMSY & PROMPTS - 14/42

WESTERN - 1
/42

Western might could be raising a posse! Whimsy might could be playing Aces and Eights close to their chest! Office Party appear to be doing a conga line to the chequered flag!

All still to play for, folks! :)

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Approximately 84 hours after January The Sixteenth, the standings in the Leaderboards are as follows. :)

OFFICE PARTY - 31/42

WHIMSY & PROMPTS - 19/42

WESTERN - 1
/42

Western gathering forces! Whimsy making a comeback! Office Party into the home straight!

All still to play for, folks! :)

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
But if'n we post our answers in this here thread, them rapscallions from Office Party might see what we done said. I don't trust them none at all.

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
But if'n we post our answers in this here thread, them rapscallions from Office Party might see what we done said. I don't trust them none at all.

It's a risk -- especially as I see the nefarious DL Hegel posts in Office Party -- but everyones in the same boat. :)

The drunken idea was to get everyone from each forum involved in their forums thread, guessing and building on each others ideas, having the crossword updated so if they weren't au fait with the cryptic clues they could get the theme and go for it as the letters appeared in the grid from other peoples answers. Perhaps more importantly, I thought it might get people chatting and meeting each other and having a high old time this way.

I cain't change them rules now, especially as Office Party and Whimsy & Prompts have already got their answers out in their threads. :)

Last edited:

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Would I lie to you, Harry? :rolleyes:

I cain't believe you or the devilish grin would even think about that sort of thing. :)

In the meantime -- tell me you got this one.

34 – The Ferret came from one, the Chihuahua limps on one -- a reversal of how some get online. (3)

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:roll:

That's the only one I got, pard.

I'm putting in, dagnabbit. :)

Paw is the answer as you know. Here's the clue and the working out.

A riff on Shadow Ferrets dad (PAW), Haggis' poor shot paw (PAW) and the reversal of what some use to get online (WAP reversed = PAW)

Hows about this one -- tailor made, surely?

28 – Something for Bent Nailers to aim at? You know it’s missed or you'd hear more boings. (8)